A first

THC

If one of your technicians were getting high on the job in public, I would sure hope you'd fire them immediately. Before the police arrested them.
I smoke myself, but yes, I would in that particular situation, and I would expect to get fired if I did that.......and got caught.

Larry's job?...not in a million years.

Problem is that whether it's against the law or not, nobody should ever get arrested and taken to jail for consuming cannabis, or any other drugs. If they do illegal things while on drugs, they should be prosecuted for those crimes. It shouldn't be any different than the current laws that apply to alcohol.

jim_gregory

....10 percent of the human race are dicks. Cops are a cross section of the human race so.. It is what it is.

Only problem with this theory is that the police are trained not to be(pricks), but choose, and at times enjoy it.
Thats because 10 percent of them are..oh never mind.. It's just a generalization anyway. Really only counts in the private sector. Frankly I think that percentage is way low for cops. You got guys there who deal with dirtballs every day. Even if they start out like Mother Thereasa they can get jaded pretty quick. Some can resist it better then others. Some have to take a while to get a hold of themselves and be reasonable. Some have superiors that frown on stupidity and some get clapped on the back for it. Some are by the book and some are willing to take the time to think it out.
As a lawbreaker or scofflaw to whatever degree you choose, you must be prepared for whatever they throw at you. Larry handled it well and minimised his problems I think. A more beligerant person or perhaps aggresive person would not have faired nearly as well.
Over the decades since the sixties I have been caught many times "red handed" doing exactly what Larry did and never once was charged with a crime. It's all how you handle it. It's SUCH a non crime in the first place. Just absurd.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Over the decades since the sixties I have been caught many times "red handed" doing exactly what Larry did and never once was charged with a crime.
Jim, based on that I'd say you've run into quite a few sensible cops :)

I believe the majority of police have no wish to act on such a pointless and hypocritical law. Most will know all too well that it's a bad law and they'd rather be making themselves useful dealing with real issues that benefit society.

However, their job is to uphold the law ... so they're in a bind when it comes to bad law. Like any public servant the first thing they have to do is make sure their butts are covered lol.

If people are watching they have to do something - or at least look as though they're doing something. I suspect the vast majority are aware that charging a laid back old muso toker like Larry would harm his rep and work for no good reason. If Larry had behaved like a crim, they might have suspected him of breaking the law in other ways and checked him out some more. Since he behaved like a regular guy they let him go.

I imagine that when you were caught "red handed" you behaved like a regular guy too, so no criminal charges.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I saw a study once. They took a civilian group of people, split them up in 2 groups, and made one group the "cops" and one group the "criminals". They gave the cops uniforms and the criminals jumpsuits, it was a prison scenario, and after a short time the people in the uniforms started developing superior behaviors that they never exhibited prior. Some even started turning mean towards the "criminals. They had to stop the experiment because it was getting out of hand.

The point was that you could take a gentle person, and give him some power and authority and it changes that person. So policeman as people...you can't blame them. Their job and position and the authority they are given are the source of anything negative that is said towards law enforcement. It's almost like they can't help but be changed by the power they have.

You have to seperate the law officer from the law. It was his job to stake out behind that bar. I walked right into a trap. He had to respond. I don't hold that against him, or his decision to not look the other way, it's his job. I understand the consequences of my illegal actions.

I don't think he had to tighten the cuffs so hard, or drive like a maniac, or make sexual comments, or compliment the quality of my contraband, or refuse to inform my wife. He seemed bummed that I was released early, like he didn't agree with the decision. But that could have been an act. That's where personally I have no respect for him as a person. If he treated me neutrally then I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

tml_fan_5@hotmail.com

lol, ya american cops are brutal man!!!! Not that i would know, cuz im living in "the true north, strong and free". But just wondering, your not of age to drink, meaning you are 20 or younger, and you are married!!!!!!

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I saw a study once. They took a civilian group of people, split them up in 2 groups, and made one group the "cops" and one group the "criminals". They gave the cops uniforms and the criminals jumpsuits, it was a prison scenario, and after a short time the people in the uniforms started developing superior behaviors that they never exhibited prior. Some even started turning mean towards the "criminals. They had to stop the experiment because it was getting out of hand.

The point was that you could take a gentle person, and give him some power and authority and it changes that person. So policeman as people...you can't blame them. Their job and position and the authority they are given are the source of anything negative that is said towards law enforcement. It's almost like they can't help but be changed by the power they have.
You're talking about Zimbardo, 1971. I studied it when I used to do Psychology - it's one of the classic case studies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Right, that's where I read about it, psychology class. Very interesting. Power corrupts. Absolute power absolutely corrupts. Plus officers regularly have to deal with the dregs of society. It's must be hard for them to judge on a case by case basis when the majority of people they deal with are sworn enemys. It's in their best interest to be tough, at least initially.

S

sticks4drums

I don't think any of us are qualified to know what it is like to be a police officer, until we actually have to do the job. I know I would only last for about a week, until the first idiot I ran into called me a pig. That would be my last day. :) You would have to have very thick skin. People don't want Cops until they are in trouble, and need the help. You can't have it both ways. I don't agree with Marijuana being illegal, while cigarettes and drinking are not. It is very hypocritical. But the fact is it is. Just like speeding, which I do all the time. If I get caught I don't like it, and think it is a stupid law, but a law it is.

CalCooChi

Problem is that whether it's against the law or not, nobody should ever get arrested and taken to jail for consuming cannabis, or any other drugs. If they do illegal things while on drugs, they should be prosecuted for those crimes. It shouldn't be any different than the current laws that apply to alcohol.
I agree with this completely mate, it should be up to the user's own discretion and they should only be held liable for prosecution based on their lack of responsibility.

I also partake in occasional 'self-medication' and I'm dumbfounded how I'd ever pose a danger to anything or anyone when I'm in that state - I'm usually too flat on my arse at that point.

It all depends on the actions afterwards - the problem is with how people abuse substances and their behaviour afterwards that is the problem. You'd expect a sensible individual (although those who condemn cannabis or aren't educated enough of it's effects would argue you were anything but) to retain their common sense, but the law doesn't see it that way.

Either way it's a shame what went down with you Larry, but at least you seem to be all right after the whole thing.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I smoke myself, but yes, I would in that particular situation, and I would expect to get fired if I did that.......and got caught.

Larry's job?...not in a million years.

People also bear responsibility for the judgment. If you are smoking weed in public - or consuming alcohol in most public areas, including an alley - you are practically begging for the cops to arrest you. You can argue all you want about the unfairness of drug laws, but it's pretty clear that if you do something prohibited in public, you are doing the equivalent of daring the police to arrest you.

Drinking, smoking weed, urinating and yelling in public reduces the quality of life in neighborhoods and I am glad the police are vigilant about it - including using everything from the power to warn to the power to arrest.. I do think they should act professionally at all time and it sounds like they treated Larry improperly.