A Drummers Dream

bsmntdrummer

I watched it last night, and it was a lot of fun. The playing is amazing. Mike Mangini's solo is so ridiculous he looks like a freaking superhero. Dennis is, of course, incredible, and I loved the interplay between el Negro and the other guys. Kenwood Dennard's solo wassn't really my thing, but the joy he plays with is undeniable. Well worth checking out.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Not to spoil but I was surprised to hear Dennis Chambers say that he has played on over 300 records and doesn't read music.

2underpar

Silver Member
I started watching it but got called to work. Can't wait to get home and finish it.

I agree that Mike's drumming is insane.

mikel

Platinum Member
Not to spoil but I was surprised to hear Dennis Chambers say that he has played on over 300 records and doesn't read music.
So you need to read to be a good musician? The best keyboard player I ever played with did not read music ."You hum it, or play it to me, son" was all he needed to come up with amazing stuff. A genuine musician and a joy to work with.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I didn't mean to imply that one had to read to be a good musician. I only said I was surprised. I would think the majority of contract work would expect some chart reading. I could be wrong.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Understood....thanks for the info. It just seemed to me with that many records, that a few of them would require reading but I guess reading charts and leads sheets, which I have never seen, are two very different things.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I don't think Jeff Porcaro or Buddy could read music either
Buddy didn't. I've heard stories that Buddy would actually hire another drummer who could read to play the chart, and Buddy would memorize what the hired guy played. Buddy had the audio equivalent of a photographic memory.

I'm pretty sure Jeff could read. He came up under his dad who is an incredible reader.

I agree about Dennis. People don't hire Dennis because they need a reader for commercials, jingles, and things were reading often happens. They hire Dennis to be Dennis.

moxman

Silver Member
Yes cool movie doc.. saw it on regular TV and recorded it a few years ago. The funny thing is, I remember seeing a flyer posted in a music store advertising the camp in a location in cottage country that's not that far away.. and I looked at the lineup and thought "this can't be for real!'. Man it would have been great to have been there.. probably have to disguise myself as a kid LoL.. but drum camp - wish they had that when I was younger .. I only got to go to canoe camp.. but that was a blast too!

incrementalg

Gold Member
I didn't mean to imply that one had to read to be a good musician. I only said I was surprised. I would think the majority of contract work would expect some chart reading. I could be wrong.
I went to a Dennis Chambers clinic where he stated he didn't read much of anything. In the studio he said he'd go by feel. Ive seen clips of him doing studio stuff and his ability to count and feel his way through a song is insane.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've heard that as well about Buddy

but I feel like I remember on one of those Jeff Porcaro clinics from MI vids that he said he doesn't read ... or doesn't read all that well and never used it ... something like that

I could be wrong ... I haven't seen those vids in quite a while
He talks about not reading very well here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6tzbKsKKk

Which I'm a bit surprised given his dad is master reader, and so many of the other players Jeff played with are known as great readers.

But if you go further in the video, he does talking about reading charts in the studio, but the charts being mostly just bar numbers that don't require a high level of reading, and making sure he's early in case there is actual reading so he can have a chance to go over it.

He does admit he can't site read on the fly like Vinnie.

tcspears

Gold Member
Yeah, that blew my mind! Most rock/pop you don't need to read for, but some of the fusion stuff he was on was sophisticated and in odd and/or changing meters. That's impressive to be able to get around that without reading.

The movie was not what I was expecting at all, but it was a great watch and showed many different sides of drumming.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Just watched this last night. I really dig it. Seeing the camaraderie between the drummers was a highlight for me. Giovanni, Raul and El Negro play so much music. My first drum teacher exposed me to those rhythms and To me they represent almost a higher plane of drumming. Like the feeling i get listening to them play is what percussion instruments were invented for.

I had heard before that Dennis didn't read but it still kind of blows my mind. And I never knew Jeff wasn't a great reader. Just goes to show how silly it is to assume things.

I love the setting and communal vibe of the whole thing. That's what playing music with other people is really about. I think that point gets lost too often. Technical, academic stuff is a means to an end, not the end itself.