A confession

W

wy yung

Good that you got over the illness and back to playing. My long layoff started with sickness too and once I got healthy I just let it go. I find the forum motivating too.

Same here - the layoff changed my approach. I used to always focus on the drumming but years of just listening to overall music like everyone else gave me a different perspective. Arguably a more sane one :)

I'll have a look out for Pupillo tonight. I love world-style percussion too, but I go more for African rhythms.

Thanks mate. Same to you.

Rhythms are interesting things. Recently in a lesson a pupil brought in a song by that Scottish band that had the "Walk 5000 miles" song. He wanted to learn a drum part from the album. So we went through it and I then showed him different ways of playing that rhythm. By the end of the class the rhythm had traveled across time and continents! We went from Europe to Africa, North America, South America, Cuba etc. The 40's, 90's and the turn of the 20th century.

Rhythm is amazing! Or, people are amazing. Both true really.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Thanks mate. Same to you.

Rhythms are interesting things. Recently in a lesson a pupil brought in a song by that Scottish band that had the "Walk 5000 miles" song. He wanted to learn a drum part from the album. So we went through it and I then showed him different ways of playing that rhythm. By the end of the class the rhythm had traveled across time and continents! We went from Europe to Africa, North America, South America, Cuba etc. The 40's, 90's and the turn of the 20th century.

Rhythm is amazing! Or, people are amazing. Both true really.
5000 miles is like a basic march beat if I remember rightly. Not sure why anyone would want to play it *grin* ... kick on 1 and 3, and snare on 2 and 4. Good that you're working to fire up your students' imaginations and introducing them to different styles.

One thing I forgot to ask you before ... it seemed from your previous post that your playing flourished after your break. Do you feel the break ultimately improved your drumming or was it just that breaks happened to come your way at the time?

W

wy yung

5000 miles is like a basic march beat if I remember rightly. Not sure why anyone would want to play it *grin* ... kick on 1 and 3, and snare on 2 and 4. Good that you're working to fire up your students' imaginations and introducing them to different styles.

One thing I forgot to ask you before ... it seemed from your previous post that your playing flourished after your break. Do you feel the break ultimately improved your drumming or was it just that breaks happened to come your way at the time?
(Sorry Larry. This is about me and I do not wish to steal the thread so will add what I can so as to then leave it)

Mate I think it was just that I'd spent a great deal of time playing before my health broke down. I estimate I've spent 94,000+ hours on a pad alone. That's basically ten full years. So my chops kept up to date at least on the snare. While sick I spent time learning other smaller forms of percussion such as frame drums. Theses did not tax my body too much and I was able to learn more views on playing drums.

Even so I still felt my drumming life was over and it was terrible. I'd been such a devotee to lose it was painful. I was pretty depressed because my life was upside down. 2 weeks before losing my health I'd been robbed and lost everything while on tour. My insurance ran out the last week of the tour. I thought I'd settle it when back in town. Big mistake. Then my woman left me because she did not want to be around a guy who was sick.

Then I paid a visit to DW one night. I met some truly great people who told me I should give it another go and their encouragement has led me to this point. I just finished teaching for the day. I have a full day tomorrow and then play with a band on Sunday.

I was getting pretty down. It is not a stretch to say had I not visited DW I might even be dead now. At the time I was working myself to death and living on 3 hours sleep per day. This went on for a while. My depression was getting out of hand. DW saved my life. I was becoming suicidal.

Now I am one happy guy. My life is again about drums and drummers. I love teaching and seem to be very good at it. I adore my students. Bands love me. The last female singer told me, and I quote "When you started to play I wanted to throw my panties at you!"

Thank you Bernard and everyone else here. You have no idea what you mean to me.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Oh sorry too, Larry, but that's an amazing tale, Wy Yung. Such a freakout when you get runs of bad luck like that. Great that you recovered so well! Not easy to dig yourself out of a deep pit like that.

Take a bow, DW :)

Pachikara-Tharakan

Silver Member
As closed minded as this sounds, I don't really actively persue listening to other drummers on purpose. Naturally, like everyone, I passively absorb rhythms from the music I hear, but don't hold anyone as a guidepost. I have my own stuff in my head that I'm trying to play. When I practice, most of the time, I just play for like 2 hours streaming from one idea to the next. I have no idea where they come from, but to me the challenge is to "play it like you hear it". To be able to execute my own ideas effortlessly. I have no shortage of ideas. (how good they are is debateable) That's probably my main focus when I get some alone time with my babys. There. I said it. I'm closed minded and proud of it.

Then sometimes I doubt myself. I think if I spent some time really listening to and picking apart others, I would no doubt hear things in a way I may never have come up with on my own. But I don't.
I'm not recommending my views or anything, I'm just being honest. OK I'm done.
Thanks.
i think like u!... the difference is, you have seen it all and much more experienced than me. However.., my case is I am still a starting basement drummer having fun playing along the records and I already think the way u think ., (even though i dont have much ideas..but i just want to be different the way we play, still trying to figure out a unique way, and kind of bored the way everyone plays drums, (absolutely no disrespect to anyone , I may be missing something for sure!).,... almost every chopping drummer sounds the same and ofcourse great to me.

Last edited: