4 limb independence.

MediocrityMaster

its so hard for me to get! my drum teacher gave me a lesson to work on my 4 limb independence, and he's given me a full month to work on the lesson and i still cant even get the 2nd exercise down, obviously im not gonna master this in a day, but cant even keep the beat. my left foot just wont work with me.

did anyone else have major issues with this when they started out?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
You're pushing yourself to hard. Take your time. That's why your instructor gave you a full month.
You will get it when you get it. Everyone learns at a different pace. The fact that you are working on it is all that you have to do.
One day you will wake up and you will have the independence that you seek.
Just go slow and add the speed when you can play it faster.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Here's a tip that helped me. Play your 3 way independence. Sing you left foot part. If I can't get something, I can't even sing it. First I try singing it, and that's hard and takes some time. But it's easier than trying to play it. When you can sing it comfortably, then try playing it w/ your left foot. If you can't sing it you can't play it.

oneguy

I've only been playing for 6 mos but someone mentioned a limb excercise I practice with....not sure how much, if any, it well help as I haven't used it too long yet.

I practice a simple paradiddle starting with my left hand and use my right foot in place of my right hand....then after awhile I switch....right hand lead and left foot in place of left hand. Sometimes I also take single beat combinations in "stick control" and play them with my feet...I'm sure you can mix up some of these single beat combo's between hands and feet for some challenging independance combinations????

If anybody has any simple independance routines I'd also like to hear about them......?

cnw60

If anybody has any simple independance routines I'd also like to hear about them......?
one of my standard warmups - it's based on Joe Morello's Stone Killer exercise:

Step 1 -
HANDS:
2 bars single strokes (RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL)
2 bars double strokes (RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL)
2 bars paradiddles (RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL)

FEET:
Continuous single strokes (RLRL RLRL...)

Step 2 -
Reverse the hands and feet - the hands play continuous singles (RLRL...) while the feet do the singles, doubles and diddles.

Then - repeat step 1, but reverse the hands to left hand lead (LRLR, LLRR, LRLL...), keep the feet leading with the right.

Then - repeat step 2, but reverse the feet to left lead...

Go SLOW!!! Accuracy is more important than speed - your feet and hands should be perfectly synchronized!

Once that gets easy, then you can change to doing continuous doubles with the feet while the hands go through the variations (and vice versa), and then do continuous paradiddles with the feet while the hands go thru the variations, etc.

Then you start adding dynamics, accent variations, etc., you can even go through the whole pg5 of Stick control doing every variation of feet against hands once you're into it.

Have fun.

Last edited:

oneguy

You're killin me just thinking about it!...lmao!

Seriously....thanks....I'll play with it and see what happens.

bonhamdrummer123

one of my standard warmups - it's based on Joe Morello's Stone Killer exercise:

Step 1 -
HANDS:
2 bars single strokes (RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL)
2 bars double strokes (RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL)
2 bars paradiddles (RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL)

FEET:
Continuous single strokes (RLRL RLRL...)

Step 2 -
Reverse the hands and feet - the hands play continuous singles (RLRL...) while the feet do the singles, doubles and diddles.

Then - repeat step 1, but reverse the hands to left hand lead (LRLR, LLRR, LRLL...), keep the feet leading with the right.

Then - repeat step 2, but reverse the feet to left lead...

Go SLOW!!! Accuracy is more important than speed - your feet and hands should be perfectly synchronized!

Once that gets easy, then you can change to doing continuous doubles with the feet while the hands go through the variations (and vice versa), and then do continuous paradiddles with the feet while the hands go thru the variations, etc.

Then you start adding dynamics, accent variations, etc., you can even go through the whole pg5 of Stick control doing every variation of feet against hands once you're into it.

Have fun.
Awesome this sounds great man

ChipJohns

Here is another... Sounds kinda simple, but it gets you thinking about limb independence. The part is not difficult, so doesn't require a lot of concentration. Or does it (?)

Play piano (softly) quarter notes with all four limbs..
-left hand: snare
-right hand: ride
-left foot: hi hat
-right foot: bass

The point is to try to keep each voice at the same volume.

Get a nice slow and steady rhythm going
Now, crescendo (get louder) and then diminuendo (get softer) one voice at a time while keeping the other three at the same level dynamic.

start with your left hand and work all the way around..