3in deep hole in bearing edge of new floor tom.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Wood putty and move on. No harm. Not wanted or perfect but not a real problem. It's hard to tell what voids are in any ply drum

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It is common for plywood to have gaps like that sometimes.
I have seen things like this many times.

Frank

Gold Member
I doubt it is a big deal, too.

Before topping off with wood putty, maybe fill the rest of the void with something?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
All bearing edge holes aside, that nail polish is a great color on your skin tone. I would have expected a drab black for someone with a name like "destroyer".

Destroyer772

Gold Member
All bearing edge holes aside, that nail polish is a great color on your skin tone. I would have expected a drab black for someone with a name like "destroyer".
My name is John, pretty common huh. Destroyer happens to be a Kiss album i liked when i was a kid and thought it would be a cool online name. Dr Watso The fingernail polish is my wife's if you must know.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm thinking get a hypodermic needle and shoot some glue in there.

If Watso hasn't sniffed it all lol.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
If it's new, why not make a warranty claim and get a new tom?
It's not worth the trouble to file the warranty claim because there is nothing wrong with the drum.
Mapex would probably issue a new drum under warranty but it wouldn't be worth Destroyer772's time to process the claim.

Destroyer772

Gold Member
We are in the process now but wanted to know what you all thought before sending it off for a 3 or 4 month wait. Lot of drummers on here with more experience on these matters then me. And ya he was sniffing hard, my wife thought it was funny.

v.zarate

Gold Member
3-4 month wait?

dont they have them made in a factory somewheres? its a mass produced kit so they should have spares laying around

T

The SunDog

Nooooo! If the drum sounds good (does it?) then absolutely do not return it. Would you rather own a drum that doesn't sound as good in exchange for a gap free bearing edge? Voids in ply shells are normal and can sometimes be seen in the edges. Use a small amount of wood filler and leave it be.

Destroyer772

Gold Member
Nooooo! If the drum sounds good (does it?) then absolutely do not return it. Would you rather own a drum that doesn't sound as good in exchange for a gap free bearing edge? Voids in ply shells are normal and can sometimes be seen in the edges. Use a small amount of wood filler and leave it be.
Yes it does sound good, i just needed to know that this is not something that would cause problems down the road such as ply separation. I have only owned a few drum sets and have never seen anything like this. The hole is small that is a bread tie wire that is being pulled out of there. Mapex is aware of the issue and want me to take it back to the drum shop. So there guy's can look at it, but is it worth the hassle of taking it 60 miles to the store. Then the wait, paid over 2 grand for the studioease shell pack and matching snare which has not got here yet or 14x14 floor. If anything ill wait till they get here before making the decision. Your all's input is very helpful.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It's not an ideal situation, obviously. Yea they sound good. But maybe they could sound better if there weren't air gaps. But really, it would probably be undetectable if it were correct.

Still, I would think a drum like that would fail a QC inspection from any company. I know I wouldn't feel good about OKing that. Air is an insulator and having gaps can't be a good thing for a resonant drum. But I'm pretty sure it's more common than I'd like to think.

There's probably no audible difference. It is a ply shell with a lot going on what with grain orientation, glue everywhere, high pressure molds. It's just a work ethic thing with me that bugs me.

You do get a lot for your money in those sets. The alpi gets you an exotic look for Kmart prices lol. (spellcheck didn't flag Kmart, interesting) I'm fine with that for that price point. In the big scheme of things, the gap thing is a small price to pay for what you DO get. I really like the look of your set. Hard to believe what you can get these days. Spoiled rotten, we are. I'm also fine with that lol.

Actually come to think of it, I know I heard here about one company who provides little strips of wood to glue and insert into those gaps. I don't recall which company, but you could do it yourself.

steadypocket

Gold Member
While this hole is long, it appears to be too small in diameter to lead to any structural or tonal issues. I certainly empathize with you for having a defect in a brand new kit. Last year I bought a new Starclassic bubinga kit. After a 100 mile drive home from the drum shop, upon closer inspection I noticed a long crack in the lacquer on the underside of the kick drum. The shop was terrific, ordering a replacement from Tama. After a 4 month wait, the replacement kick arrived. It was flawless, like every other Tama drum (and I have lots) I've purchased. While the new drum sounds great, that flawed drum had some special magic to it. Probably the best kick sound (not mic'ed) I've ever heard. In hindsight I should have kept the drum with the crack. Wouldn't have been visible to anyone given its location.

WallyY

Platinum Member
It might be no problem, but if Mapex wants to see it why not let them check it out and replace it?

I'm thinking get a hypodermic needle and shoot some glue in there.

If Watso hasn't sniffed it all lol.
I tried that once. Make sure it's a large enough needle. Glue won't go through an insulin needle and you might prick your nose.

KamaK

Platinum Member
The only worry about the syringe/glue/fill idea is that the moisture in the glue wants to go somewhere. If there's too much glue too close to the outer surface, you risk bubbling out the lacquer on the outside. If you do the syringe thing, take extra care, do it in stages if necessary.

Destroyer772

Gold Member
It might be no problem, but if Mapex wants to see it why not let them check it out and replace it?

I tried that once. Make sure it's a large enough needle. Glue won't go through an insulin needle and you might prick your nose.
Enough said, it will definitely be returned. This will probably be the last (and only) high end kit i purchase. I just thought it would have been right to begin with, with there emphasis on this sonic clear bearing edge. Thanks for everyone's input on this matter.