30's Ludwig Snare on CL

jodgey4

Silver Member
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3209552855.html
Howdy, what can y'all tell me about this here snare? Worth the restore? Where do I get the rest of the parts? I think my teacher has one similar to it, and I liked the sound, but the wires were old and I wasn't used to the sound/ didn't like it (weird stick response as well...). I thought at least it would be a cool project, with an equal chance of putting on a wall, playing it, or reselling it.

MJD

Silver Member
Any drum is worth a restore. $50 is a steal if it is what it is advertised as but i dont know enough to say for sure. The head is definitely Ludwig but it aint from the 1930's. the drum might be from the 30's but might not be a Ludwig. Still, I'd go for it if my cash wasnt already committed to another Ludwig project. But then again i'm a sucker for all sorts of vintage instruments. the main problem you'll have is finding period correct parts though you may decide that you want to make a hybrid vintage/modern drum which would be very cool as well

tamadrm

Platinum Member
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3209552855.html
Howdy, what can y'all tell me about this here snare? Worth the restore? Where do I get the rest of the parts? I think my teacher has one similar to it, and I liked the sound, but the wires were old and I wasn't used to the sound/ didn't like it (weird stick response as well...). I thought at least it would be a cool project, with an equal chance of putting on a wall, playing it, or reselling it.
That drum looks to be made even earlier than the 30's I think that its an orchestra or universal model,with what Ludwig called a reliable strainer. 1918 possibly.Used parts are around,,as well as reproductions.The bearing edges may be the only problem,but if the're in good condition,then it's worth a shot at restoration.

The shell and tube lugs should be heavy brass,and there should be Ludwig stamped into the single flange rim.

I think 50 is a little on the high side considering the condition,and the cost of replacement parts,to get it into payable condition.I've seen drums like that,in playable condition, go for under 200 on ebay.

Remember,just because something's old...dosen't mean its worth a lot of money.Those drums are plentiful,and do NOT fall into the "rare" catagory.They do sound great with modern snare wires.

Steve B

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The shell is certainly old. 1920's, give or take. The Ludwig drum head is more likely from the 70's.

It's cool project. If you're into collecting old snares, it's a good project.

If you want to fix it up and sell it for a profit, that's doubtful it will be worth your time.

I had a similar one may years ago. It looked cool, it was neat, but I had to realize it was never designed for modern playing. The strainer, hoops, and lugs were certainly not designed for playing a back beat on. So I sold it to a collector for pretty much what I paid for it, plus what I paid for the parts I put into it.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I had a similar one may years ago. It looked cool, it was neat, but I had to realize it was never designed for modern playing. The strainer, hoops, and lugs were certainly not designed for playing a back beat on. So I sold it to a collector for pretty much what I paid for it, plus what I paid for the parts I put into it.
I disagree. I have a 14x4 8 lug model, and it is an AMAZING snare! Sure, it has a specific "character" to it, but I've used it for rock and cover gigs with no problems.

$50 sounds "about right" for what you're getting and what you're going to need to restore it. If you plan on flipping it, forget it. If you want to restore it to play or display, go for it...

jodgey4

Silver Member
Thanks so much guys, you've really helped. I posted this on GhostNote as well (I'm not a traitor, I promise!), and I got some interesting responses. Looks like it's a very thin NOB shell.
http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/showthread.php?48317-30-s-Ludwig-Snare-on-CL&p=492007#post492007
I just got a used Pearl 14" x 3.5" Steel Free Floating Snare ('95 - 2nd generation) for a great price on CL, that I might resell to fund this project. I don't like it so much, I can't get a crack out of it like I was hoping... but I digress. I'll see what I can do to this old drum, I'll probably end up playing it, and I want to build a snare shelf soon where this should sit nicely with my other restored drums.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
No,actually the shell is fairly heavy,and if you're looking for a player,modern reproduction parts will hold up better,and like Caddywumpus said,the do have a lot of character,and sound great.

Steve B

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I disagree. I have a 14x4 8 lug model, and it is an AMAZING snare! Sure, it has a specific "character" to it, but I've used it for rock and cover gigs with no problems.
Well, maybe yours is simply a better model, or was better taken of by prior owners.

The one I had, if tried playing anything resembling 2 and 4 on it, the snare strainer would dis-engage. Perhaps the strainer itself had just gone bad. Either way, it wasn't working for me at the time, and I didn't want to ruin it's vintage aspect by replacing the strainer with a modern one.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Well, maybe yours is simply a better model, or was better taken of by prior owners.

The one I had, if tried playing anything resembling 2 and 4 on it, the snare strainer would dis-engage. Perhaps the strainer itself had just gone bad. Either way, it wasn't working for me at the time, and I didn't want to ruin it's vintage aspect by replacing the strainer with a modern one.
The strainers are notorious for breaking, especially after about 90 years of use. The one I have has a replacement strainer, one made specifically to be used to replace the strainer on these models. It works great, and the snare sounds outstanding!

So, replacement strainers ARE available, without drilling new holes or destroying the aesthetics of the snare...

jodgey4

Silver Member
Well, I told the seller when I could meet after he called me, then he emailed back saying he had sold it. Needless to say, I'm a bit mad.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Well, I told the seller when I could meet after he called me, then he emailed back saying he had sold it. Needless to say, I'm a bit mad.

You learned your lesson- Never post a CRAIGSLIST add you're interested in here on DW b/f you secure the deal, or let it pass. Im not saying a forum member bought the drum out from under you, I am saying this forum IS the market for drum deals, a big market, so if you want to better your chances at scoring, post after the fact, not b/f.

Ask questions, but don't mention CL, say its at a local pawn shop, or a friend of a friend is selling.

This ship is probably the biggest in the drum forum navy, lots of drummers with resources.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Thanks for making me feel dumb. But, I see your point.
Don't feel bad.This kind of thing happens all the time on drums forums.Just a couple of days ago on another forum,a member missed out on a Gretsch round badge kit for very little money.Needless to say,in a very short period of time after his posting,the kit was gone.It's always a good idea to not include too much info,especially how to contact the seller.Use a second party site to post photos.

I think the best thing to do is,when in doubt about a kit or a drum,just PM a few members who are knowledgeable concerning a particular brand or vintage drum.Better luck the next time,you can't win 'em all.:)

Steve B

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Thanks for making me feel dumb. But, I see your point.

When I saw '30's LUDWIG on CRAIGSLIST' in the drum tread, I knew unless you posted the pics, the listing would already have been removed.

Don't feel dumb, its a good thing to see your blind trust/honesty, its reflecting the general nature of this site... which is everyone cares, wants to help one another, but don't forget there are 284 guests on 'right now', and this forum has close to 50,000 members.

So the odds are stacked against you. If you find a highly desirable piece of gear, there'll be lots of people who want it.