24" bass drum

mrmike

Silver Member
24 works great for rock but there are way to many quality drumsets at reasonable prices to not get exactly what you want. If you prefer Gavin Harrison's short sustain over Bonham's boom then hold out for that 22. It's not that you can't muffle a 24 but I find 22 and 20 to be a bit punchier.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You can get it to sound tight or boomy. Tight? Port the head and add muffling. Boomy? Full front head no muffling.

A

audiotech

Even with a larger bass drum, you can sculpture the sound by using the right heads and tuning.

Dennis

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Nice looking kit!

Just agreeing with what has been said.
If you stuff the drum it will thump.
If you play it open it will boom.
It will do what you tune it to do.

Being that the drum is larger in size it will have the ability to play at a lower pitch
than a smallar drum.

My personal all around fav size is a 22 inch.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I play rock alternative and i will have pillows in the bass.

Thanks Jack
You don't have to stuff your bass drum with pillows to get a punchy sound, and doing so will dramatically reduce it's volume, irrespective of what size bass drum you choose.

alvanko

I'm interested in the same set (Gretsch) with the 24" bass drum but I want a 1 up and 2 down and so far have not been able to fine where one would be available for it.
I think they are made from Mahogany.

nirvanadrummer

I'm interested in the same set (Gretsch) with the 24" bass drum but I want a 1 up and 2 down and so far have not been able to fine where one would be available for it.
I think they are made from Mahogany.
youre thinking of the catalina club rock, not the renown