2 gigs in one night...my first time out...am I crazy??????

MaryO

Platinum Member
So when I do something, I do it all the way...lol. Just got an email from my bandmates saying we've been offered a short gig at a local church festival on the same night that we are scheduled to play my first gig (yeah, that 4 hour one!) at a local bar. The church festival is in the same area and the bar owner is hoping that if we play the festival and people like us it will draw some of the crowd to the bar afterwards. Yeah, I get that and it's great exposure for the band but...

Am I crazy to think about this? I mean set up and tear down of the kit twice in the same night, two gigs my first time out? It probably means I'll be out and playing or in the process of moving the kit from about 6pm to 2am or later. I'm just wondering if I have the stamina to be honest. I'm sure I'll be running on adrenaline for most of it because it's my first gig but still......

Whatchya think? I need some advice here.

8Mile

Platinum Member
If it wasn't your first gig, I'd tell you you're crazy. But what you said about running on adrenaline is true. I think you'll be fine. And when it's all said and done and you turn in for a good night's sleep afterwards, you're gonna feel great. You'll be a veteran musician with multiple gigs under your belt!

Just a hunch.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
When I was in 2 metal bands I've done double headers a few times. I try not to any more as after a set of the stuff i play i can usualy ring out a shirt and say i did a cardio workout.. but my issue was always deciding where to place my bands in the bill....

back to back is nice to not have to setup/tear down and soundcheck is already done... but I'm beat... if i have a band play in the middle now its hauling gear around....

for your first show your going to be so excited I think you should be fine. good luck!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
After going to church, the first thing I need when I get out is a drink. That's for sure. I used to trip out when I was in Wisconsin. Going to the bar on Sunday is a family event. Love those Bloody Marys.

Why not do the gigs if you feel up to it? Experience.

MaryO

Platinum Member
. You're only young once! ;)
Yes, but I think that was about 20 years ago....lol

Actually, from what I'm hearing the bar is one of the sponsors of the festival (gotta be a Catholic church...lol) and will have a large banner up advertising our performance later that night so it all ties in. So I figure if the church doesn't fall in around me or explode from all the lightening strikes coming my way...it should work our well. I just hate the setting up and tearing down multiple times. Oh well...if you guys think I can do this...than we'll give it a whirl! lol

StickIt

Oh yeah!! You got this. Don't think otherwise...not once. Hell, don't even think of it as a challenge; it's a gift of experience. It will be amazing, and you will be so pumped after the initial show, you will be ready to destroy at the bar afterward. Just don't let that adrenaline turn 90bpm into 120bpm lol...congrats!! No fear.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
So when I do something, I do it all the way...lol. Just got an email from my bandmates saying we've been offered a short gig at a local church festival on the same night that we are scheduled to play my first gig (yeah, that 4 hour one!) at a local bar. The church festival is in the same area and the bar owner is hoping that if we play the festival and people like us it will draw some of the crowd to the bar afterwards. Yeah, I get that and it's great exposure for the band but...

Am I crazy to think about this? I mean set up and tear down of the kit twice in the same night, two gigs my first time out? It probably means I'll be out and playing or in the process of moving the kit from about 6pm to 2am or later. I'm just wondering if I have the stamina to be honest. I'm sure I'll be running on adrenaline for most of it because it's my first gig but still......

Whatchya think? I need some advice here.
Dream come true...

Seriously, the idea of coming down off the first gig then doing another gig like IMMEDIATELY....

That's just solid gold.

Enjoy !

A

Anthony Amodeo

don't even think about

business as usual

go kill it

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Don't do it Mary. That's crazy. You won't be able to do it. Are you nuts? What are you thinking? It can't be done, not for a first gig. I think you're getting a little too full of yourself there Sister. Who do you think you are?

(Trying to extract some rebellion in you)

Doesn't that sound nuts?

So the plot thickens lol. You are a constant source of entertainment. I love it. Of course you should do it. Trial by Fire. Hit the ground running, that's what I say. It's kind of like the first time you have sex, but you have plans to do it with 2 different people lol.

Having the attitude of never turning down a gig is a beautiful thing.

I can't think of a better opportunity as a first gig. A double header. How many drummers can say that their first gig was a double header? Vinnie? JoJo? Nope. But Mary Oh! can lol No matter what happens, you'll always have a great story, right?

One more thing, don't be afraid of mistakes. You will automatically, with every fiber of your being, do your best to avoid them, of course. But if/when they do happen, trust me, just laugh em off. Let em go quick, they're gone. Have a chuckle and move on. You learn from mistakes 1000x faster than successes, so looking at the big picture, mistakes are extremely valuable in the learning process. So just go in with a fearless attitude and you will do your best.

I get the feeling that you have a terrific work ethic. That will naturally carry over into your gigging attitude, except it will be better because I'm guessing you will love gigging more than any other day job you've done. So I think you will do fantastic.

I'd try and enlist help for the "load in, set up, break down, load out, drive, load in, set up, break down, load out, drive home" part. That couldn't hurt and will help ease stress.

Go get em Tigress! Or should I call you Leopard Lady?

AxisDrummer

Do it.

It'll make for the beginning of a great story later in life...whether it's a week later or years down the road. You'll never forget it. "So my first gigS...."

I'm sure you'll be fine. One thing to remember is that if for some reason you have a playing goof (like we all do) at your first gig at the church, don't let it get you down later at the bar. Be one of those inflatable clowns and pop back up.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Well, it's like buses, isn't it: you wait and wait and wait, and then ...!

Of COURSE you can and should do it. If it were me, I'd be asking myself exactly the same questions as you, but I honestly cannot think of a single half-decent reason why not. The idea of doing what I'd always wanted to do, AND THEN TO DO IT AGAIN, is a no-brainer.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
It'll make for the beginning of a great story later in life.
My first gig, I had not even met any of the players or seen any type of set list.

A friend of a friend told me to go to a bar down town.

I was a 20 year old skinny white kid who spent his free time trying to bang out R&R and this bar was 100% black with an R&B band.

Trial by fire :)

It was a great experience and I had to quickly observe and learn the secret urban handshake. One time the leader/horn player had to give me the "quiet down" sign but overall, it was a great experience.

My second gig came from that one. Same basic situation but it was a Guitar/bass white R&R band playing The Beatles, Stones, Wipeout and whatever else the small crowd requested.

lsits

Gold Member
What are the times of the gigs? You want to have enough time to pack up from the first gig and set up for the second gig without the stress of time constraints. I suggest start tearing down as soon as you are finished with the first gig. People will want to congratulate you but you can do that while packing up. Set up as soon as you get to the second gig and try to have at least 15 to 20 minutes to relax before the down beat. There's nothing quite as stressful as setting up your kit and keeping one eye on the clock. Also limit your alcohol intake. You want to keep hydrated, but water does the trick for me.

Take the point of view that this is a job (which it is) and that you are a professional (which you are). Granted it's something you love doing, but you are still providing a service for compensation. Find out how you will be paid. Cash or check (cash is better). Don't let the bar owner try to stiff you on your pay.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
The good thing about two gigs is that the first one will get you warmed up for the main one. Practice along with the songs till they're internalised and then go out and do the biz.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
The good thing about two gigs is that the first one will get you warmed up for the main one. Practice along with the songs till they're internalised and then go out and do the biz.
Not for me. I hate it. I usually get amped up to play out, and typically like to put that energy as a whole into the show. Loading in and out, twice, driving to two different venues, having to save some energy, both physically and mentally for another show on the same night is just draining for me. Mind you, I've played my fair share of 3 and 4 hour gigs, so it's not like it's the amount of playing that gets to me, I just don't like all the extra bother when I want to focus on playing well.

TLDR: I'm kinda a persnickety little punk sometimes. I don't like playing two separate venues in a night.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
per·snick·e·ty (pr-snk-t)
adj.
a. Overparticular about trivial details; fastidious.
b. Snobbish; pretentious.
2. Requiring strict attention to detail; demanding: a persnickety job.
[Alteration of pernickety.]

How can one be an overparticular snobby demanding punk? Hmmmm...

TLDR: = too long didn't read.