2 different bands, two different songs, same title

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Pink Floyd and Tom Petty: "Learning to Fly"

I don't know how many examples of these types of things exist. Can you think of any?

On another note, why are there no copyright issues? Song titles are exempt?

mikyok

Platinum Member
I can go one better, same song name, 3 different artists, 3 different songs. The Power of Love (Frankie Goes to Hollywood/Huey Lewis/Jennifer Rush). Bit of useless pub quiz knowledge for you all.

There's also For Whom The Bell Tolls (Bee Gees/Metallica) which I wish was the same song!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Found another 1 song name, 3 artists, 3 different songs.

Hello (Gary "watch ya kids" Glitter, Lionel Richie, Adele)

DrumWhipper

There are about three different worship songs with the title "Glorious Day". Same title, but different words and progressions on each of them.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
There are about three different worship songs with the title "Glorious Day". Same title, but different words and progressions on each of them.
Worship songs drive me crazy with how similar the songs are.

One week, we were told to learn "Worship the Great I Am." We already did a song called "The Great I Am," so I thought I already knew the song. In 8 years, this was the FIRST time I showed up to practice unprepared. Our worship leader said, "Just pretend like you are playing 'Revelation Song.'" And you know what? It worked. :)

Here are some others:

"Jump." (Van Halen, Pointer Sisters, Kris Kross)

"Lady." (Kenny Rogers, Styx)

"One." (Creed, 3 Dog Night, Metallica)

"Shout." (Isley Brothers, Tears for Fears)

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Apparently copyright laws do not generally extend to song titles because they often are too short and lack "sufficient originality."
However a long song title might have "sufficient originality" to qualify for copyright protection.

Trademarking a song title is a different matter if it qualifies to prevent unfair competition.

Ruok

Silver Member
I can go one better, same song name, 3 different artists, 3 different songs. The Power of Love (Frankie Goes to Hollywood/Huey Lewis/Jennifer Rush).
King's X has one of that title too, though I don't think it ever got played on the radio. But it should have!

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I know of at least two different songs named "Hosanna," one by Vineyard and the other by Christy Nockles. Yes, these are both praise and worship songs. Peace and goodwill.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
What about 4? Impossible you say! I give you Saints and Sinners (Godsmack, Arch Enemy, Flogging Molly, Bullet for my Valentine)

And dont get me started on albums named Saints and Sinners (All Saints, Johnny Winter, Saints and Sinners, Whitesnake, Matt Maher, Kane Roberts, Young Dubliners) and I am sure there are more than that.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
"Turn the Page" is a popular song by Bob Segar, and covered by Metallica.
It's also the name of a Rush song, and a few other bands.

"Who are You" by the Who, and "Who Are You" by Black Sabbath on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Rush has a song called "Mission"
Queensryche has a song called "The Mission" as do 30 Seconds to Mars.

There is a band called "The Mission" which are known as "The Mission UK" in the USA because another American band called themselves "The Mission" .

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Pink Floyd and Tom Petty: "Learning to Fly"

I don't know how many examples of these types of things exist. Can you think of any?

The Foo Fighters are close with "Learn to Fly."

But, how about this: The End - The Doors, My Chemical Romance, The Beatles, Bullet for my Valentine, Pearl Jam, Groove Coverage, Simple Plan, Ellie Goulding, Kings of Leon.