18x14 bass drum not only to jazz?

JaQ

Is the bass drum suited to something more than just playing jazz songs or any other light music, where the kick only indicates its presence?
I mean, or give to a soft rock, funk and other styles of music? Obviously not ask about the metal
I know that 20 "is adequate, but I ask whether the 18" enough?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It depends on how much you need. If you're miking up all the time, you can go with a 16" bass drum if you like. But if you need to fill up the bottom end and there is no sound system, the 18 would be a little small. You could make it work, but then you could be defeating yourself when a bigger drum would make your life so much easier. All those hits Bernard Purdie played on were with an 18 bass drum, but he was mic'd all the time.

D

Doctor Dirt

Depends! Is the drum strong, structurally and have pressence or is a quiet drum. Does it sound better ported or with a full reso head" Are you mic'ing it? Do you have 18" subs? Your question has a dozen questions to be answered before a comment can be made. How loud is the backline its competeing with?
I used a 16x18 (Eames) for years, playing swing, blues and rock. I mic'ed it with a D112 and ran it through JBL 18s it kicked butt. When I played low profile gigs (quiet gigs) it did great on its own when the electric guitar, bass and pianos played an appropreiate volumns. So the answer was YES for me I don't know with you because theres circumstances that need to be dealt with. Playing dry off the band stand with pros who work solid dynamics, or in a concert type setting where the backline is mic'ed up. Doc

drummerjims

Ok so I had this thought the other day at work and I think this is the perfect thread for it.

I have a drum set with a 22 inch kick and i have one with an 18 inch kick. I tend to play my 18 on almost all gigs. It is a sound i enjoy.... even though my favorite is a 20... There is one big problem that we face with an 18 and I believed this started when the gretsch catalina clubs came out (correct me if I am wrong.) More people today are buying 18 inch kicks. Some are buying because they play jazz and some are playing them because of the great price you can get on them now. the problem with that is............... PEOPLE THINK YOU CAN MAKE AN 18 SOUND JUST LIKE A 22!!!! You can't. End of story. You can get a similar sound but it won't have that sound. If you buy an 18 wanting the sound of a bigger drum you are going to be disappointed. However if you buy an 18 and realize what sound its supposed to have and you are ok with that you will be over joyed.

Now I know not all of this applies to you this was really just a short rant. But as far as an 18 inch kick in rock music goes I say do it. Somebody in jazz made a switch from the giant bass drums of the big band era to a smaller 18. It defined a new sound. Well nothing is wrong with not have something that is standard. It puts a new twist on the music and makes you a more identifiable drummer. The sound of an 18 is not wrong its just different.

If my memory serves me correctly Tim "Herb" Alexander played an 18" with primus as his main kit on a lot of albums and live performances. So unless you are trying to emulate a sound I say that an 18 is just fine for a rock gig.

drummerjims

wow I got a little off topic there but if someone wants to disagree with me please do so. I like when people have different opinions.

JaQ

Thanks You for the replies ! Really helped.

I know the 18 "will not sound the same as 22" but not what I wanted to discuss

the question is whether enough for 18 "to the soft rock music
Let me add a question, just to play the music with his friends in a small room without a mic ?

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
PEOPLE THINK YOU CAN MAKE AN 18 SOUND JUST LIKE A 22!!!! You can't. End of story.
No, but you can make an 18" sound pretty close to a 20", so that's all you need. But, the real beauty of a 20" is that you can make it sound like an 18" AND a 22".

I love my 18" bass drums, though. They do have a certain special character to them...

Davo-London

Gold Member
I think I would prefer overall a 20" to an 18", but I prefer to carry an 18" to gigs! You can't have it all ways.

Davo

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Question: How do you guys mic a bass drum with no hole?

Isn't it very difficult to get the attack that way?
Sort of depends on how much attack you want really. I think the conventional wisdom is that players who prefer a full reso head usually require less attack in their sound. A bit of lift on the EQ to bring out the attack will normally be enough. Alternatively, slackening the reso head will bring the drum sound more towards slap than boom. Outside of that, on bigger gigs, when I'm using a full reso head, I put a D112 on the batter side of the bass drum (also benefits the bottom end of the floor tom by default) & a subkick (or alternative big diaphragm) mic on the reso head.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Great posts, guys. Thanks.

I never gave it much (read: enough) thought. For years I had a 22" because that's what everyone around me seemed to be using in the late 70s, early 80s - 22" with 16", 13" & "12" toms.

When I bought the Rhythm Traveler I wasn't worried about the 16" kick. I just figured that I'd find a way to make it work. And I did, kinda, but there's noticeably less presence and richness. There's nothing quite like the boom of a well tuned larger bass drum - a great addition to a band sound (and one I'm not providing ... for now).

Still, the 16" sounds great when mic'd, as per earlier comments.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
Is the bass drum suited to something more than just playing jazz songs or any other light music, where the kick only indicates its presence?
I mean, or give to a soft rock, funk and other styles of music? Obviously not ask about the metal
I know that 20 "is adequate, but I ask whether the 18" enough?
Tim Alexander from Primus rocked out with dual 18's all through the 90's...

D

drumfreak1987

man, i used to have my live recordings from dallas clubs, gave it to my old keyboard player to rip to his comp....that band and i had a bad falling out, so i never bothered to get them back. my live kit is a catalina club, 18x14 kick, sounded like a 22x18 when i'd tune it low, with barely any eq.