17 Things Local Bands Don't understand .

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
From Ari Herstand via Facebook.

1. Trashing other bands in your scene isn’t hurting their rep. It’s hurting yours.

2. Acting disinterested with folded arms at the back of the room at other bands’ shows does not make you cool. Singing along at the front of the stage does.

3. Looking like a rock star isn’t as important as sounding like one.

4. Image is actually important. Cargo shorts are for dads at a barbecue. Not for musicians on stage.
5. Being respectful and friendly will take you much further than being superior and entitled.

6. Going to other bands’ shows is THE most important thing you can do to support your scene.

7. Your scene’s gatekeepers are friends with each other. Get in with one and you’ll get in with them all. If you piss one off, prepare to be blacklisted.

8. You don’t need press to pack a show. You need a strong work ethic
9. Physical promotional materials are still incredibly important. Get out into the world and put up some posters and hand out some flyers. Don’t spend all of your time on Facebook.

10. Facebook is dying. If your entire promotional plan relies on it, you’re doomed.

11. You need to conquer your hometown before you can hit the road. If no one cares about you locally, what makes you think people will care about you anywhere else?

12. Touring means nothing unless people actually show up to your shows. Do not tour unless you know how you’re going to get a crowd at every show.
13. Playing around town all the time weakens your draw. Spread out your shows so you can promote one big show every 6-8 weeks.

14. HOWEVER, when you’re starting off, you need to play out everywhere and anywhere all the time to get practice. Record every show. Once YOU love listening to your live set (and non-friends and non-family tell you they love your band) then you can book real shows and charge a cover.

15. If you suck, you do not deserve to be paid. Get good first. Then you can start charging.

16. No one in the industry cares about how good your music is. They care about how successful you have become on your own.

17. Go out of your way to help others in your scene. It will eventually come back around.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I like all the points except 4.
Danny carey wears gym shorts every show he plays. Rrspekt
Maybe #4 should read like this:

4. Image is actually important. Cargo shorts are for dads at a barbecue. Not for musicians on stage. However, once you become really, really successful, then you can wear whatever you want to...but not until then.

D

drumming sort of person

That list may make sense in some Podunk town, but not anywhere I've lived in the last 20 years. The rules change DAILY now.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Daney Carey is not in a local band. What he wears isn't relevant to the article. Bassist Flea not being able to find a shirt that fits is not relevant as well.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I've worn cargo shorts once or twice to a gig, but that was in the dead of summer when it was 100 degrees outside at 7 pm (when we played).

I usually dress nice, but I made a fucking exception to that rule in that case.

lefty2

Platinum Member
That's all good stuff Grut. I agree with all of it. I try do all of those things, or not do them, which ever applies. I'm old though I should know these things. The younger drummers should take this to heart. I like it also when our singer announces when bands members from other bands walk in.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Point 18 (Acshly, it should prolly be point number 0, before point number 1): When you're playing live, have fun. And LOOK like you're having fun. Grin like a demented loon. Then grin even more. What feels exaggerated and clownish* on stage is barely perceptible from a few metres away.

If the band members look like they're having fun, the audience is way more likely to enjoy the performance.

Of course if you're in a shoegazer or death metal band, you should prolly not look too cheerful.

* And I have the trousers to prove it!

J

JohnoWorld

If I'm sitting at the back of a room, darkened so most people can't see me, sweatier than a cornered paedophile, I'm gonna wear whatever I want, which will be as little as possible.

I really don't get why the cargo shorts is an issue. Here in Blightly we mostly play in dank, stinking back rooms of pubs. Air conditioning is NOT available almost everywhere so, I ask, was this written by an american or a brit?

JustJames

Platinum Member
...I really don't get why the cargo shorts is an issue...
Here's how I phrase it to my bandies: "Dress as outrageous as you feel comfortable with!" Turns out different peeps have different levels of comfortable. One of the guitarists wears jeans and a guitar-themed black t-shirt. The other dresses like he's Slash's dad. I figure if a band member is in conversation with a patron, and a third person says "that's him over there, talking to one of the guys in the band", it should be obvious which is the guy in the band.

Look like you're there to entertain, not like you're there to carry out routine maintenance.

River19

Here's how I phrase it to my bandies: "Dress as outrageous as you feel comfortable with!" Turns out different peeps have different levels of comfortable. One of the guitarists wears jeans and a guitar-themed black t-shirt. The other dresses like he's Slash's dad. I figure if a band member is in conversation with a patron, and a third person says "that's him over there, talking to one of the guys in the band", it should be obvious which is the guy in the band.

Look like you're there to entertain, not like you're there to carry out routine maintenance.
OK, so according to the rules cargo shorts are out.......maybe it would be easier to provide an example of what is "in"....:)

Summer gigs = shorts for me......and some of them have pockets. Club gigs back in the day = pants that won't get hung up on the beater from the bass drum.....and never skinny jeans.....because, well my junk likes to breath.....others' mileage may vary. Wedding gigs = tux........

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I am playing outside Saturday at 2:00 here in Louisiana. I am 60 years old, and I am someone's dad. I will be wearing shorts and some drum shirt. The OP is good info. Peace and goodwill.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
This is all good stuff. I don't think they were singling out cargo shorts, just shorts in general. Me, I don't like seeing shorts onstage even if it's hot, sorry. Man toe is highly offensive to me too. My legs don't get hot, my upper body does so long pants isn't an issue with me.

I like the part in the article that encourages you to attend other band's shows and be an active participant. Being respectful and good to your fellow musicians is good for you. Last time I checked, bands don't last forever, and the people in your local scene are the ones who will be considering your services should the need arise. We are all on the same team ultimately.

Lefty my main man makes a great point too. Announcing over the mic when a local musician walks in is just good for everyone. I know I felt great when I was recognized once in the early 80's lol.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Ya I don't know about singing in front of the stage but I definitely try to let them see I am enjoying what they are doing. When I am playing nothing gets me into it as much as seeing the audience get into it. And if they are playing a song I really like that most bands don't play, I think it is even more important. There is a local cover band that always plays Bodhisattva and I always am demonstrative to encourage them to keep playing it.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I agree with the wearing of shorts, but only as it applies to the band members who are out front and standing up.

Me, I'm sitting behind my drums and most of the time nobody will ever see me anyway... they'll hear me, but they won't see me.

This would only apply in the summer months, however. My boys need to breathe!

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Image and attitude is 90% of it.... I'd rather see an energetic band having fun than an amazing band stand still looking at their feet not moving.

I don't' care if they screw up, miss a few notes, have to start over.. If they are running around having a blast I am sold. Rock, country, metal, punk, funk. It doesn't matter. If the band is having fun on stage I am having fun watching. Good music and talented musicians are a good bonus though..But I have seen some mediocre bands that I really enjoyed watching, as well as some extremely tight good bands that didn't impress me.

I think you have to have it all to sucseed, but if you aren't having a blast up there move over for someone that is. I love to play.

As far as getting paid, until you have a decent following be happy to get gas money. My band usually makes sure gas is covered, and a case of beer for after. We often get more if the show does well, but in the "metal scene" if you get greedy you don't get gigs. Half the time I am just happy to open for a touring band I look up to and get to hangout with them and meet them before the gig starts. That is payment enough.

drumngun

please DO NOT tune your instruments on stage! when i see a band do this I leave immediately, IF you do not have a spare "tuned" guitar or bass on stand by then tune quickly and SILENTLY. now get off my lawn!