16x16 vs 16x14

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
For those of you guys who have experience with both depths for floor toms:

What are the differences in sound and tone with 16" toms, comparing
16x16 to 16x14?

I have 10x8, 12x9 and 14x14, and I want to order a 16x16, but I was offered
a 16x14 with a special price. Should I go with that, or order my preferred size?

Skyking

I have both and used to think I could not be happy sound wise with anything less than a 16x16. But the more I learned about tuning (thank you Evans G2's) the minor sound difference became far less important. Bagging and dragging a 16x16 to gigs is another matter. Wrestling a 16x14 into a bag made for a 16x16 is something I can do. The bigger the drums the bigger the pain. I gig with the a 14x14 or 16x14 floor Tom. The big boy stays home (mostly in a closet) and sound wise I don't miss it.

wsabol

Gold Member
These two sizes are very similar so they will effectively sound the same especially in a gigging atmosphere. As Skyking pointed out, the bulkyness and transport issue should sway your decision more than the sound difference. If you don't mind the extra two inches, I'd get the 16x16 for sure... I'm a traditionalist I guess. I didn't mind it when I had my 16x16 even with a small car.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I like a 14x16 a lot more than a 16x16.
Cleaner, clearer tone through a PA (and sitting behind it), and I never get any mud with multiple strokes.
Sounds just as fat as a 16x16.

I won't say positively "never", but I doubt that I'll ever buy a 16x16 again.

I also used a 14x14 with a 14x16 for quite a while, and it was just fine. No problems.

I actually prefer a 12x14 to a 14x14....but, that's another topic.

wsabol

Gold Member
I was just interested in the reasoning behind your post (I saw you had some "in gadd we trust" thing in your sig before i replied)
I have that on my sig because Gadd is the man, thats all.

If its any help to the OP, Gadd uses 16x14 and 14x12 hanging floor toms :)

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
If I was in a position to choose depth, I'd go shorter too. I think the tone would be better and not as hard to tune. I have to order a 14" floor tom shell myself here pretty soon and I think i will use a 12" depth.

toddy

Platinum Member
I have that on my sig because Gadd is the man, thats all.

If its any help to the OP, Gadd uses 16x14 and 14x12 hanging floor toms :)
Ahh ok, I've never met him. That's interesting information though, thanks.

cdrums21

Gold Member
I'm with Karl Crafton on this one. I use a 16x14 floor tom and it's perfect. Plenty of bottom and tone and doesn't mudd up at all as a 16x16 sometimes will when tuned low. The action just seems a little better with the shorter depth and it punches really nice. I too have a 14x12 floor tom to go with it, but a 14x14/16x14 should be fine and your floors would probably sound great.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
thanks for the feedbacks so far, really appreciate it! By the way,
the drums in question are Sonor Delite series.

Do you think 14x14 and 16x14 match as well as 14x14 with 16x16?
But then I often use just one of them on the same setup anyway...

I've owned a set with 14x14 and 16x16 before (not Sonor), and although
they both sounded great, the 16x16 was quite a pain to tune sometimes.

A

audiotech

I've almost always bought 16 x 16 floor toms although my Starclassic Bubinga's two floor toms are a 14 X 12 and a 16 x 14. With Bubinga shells, I've never missed the two extra inches.

Dennis

alparrott

Platinum Member
I've owned both: a 16x16 floor tom, and a 16x14 mounted tom which I later put legs on for ease of setup. I have to say, I like the 16x14 better. Responds a bit more briskly, and easier to lug around.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Call me old fashioned Swiss, but I've always favoured square sizes for floor toms. That said, depending how how "special" the price was I could be swayed. There's been several threads discussing the effect depth has on the sound produced, with the concensus being that and inch or two is often negligable in the overall scheme of things.

14X12's and 16x14's are the best, 16x16's and 14x14's suck, that is all.
Stellar review!! Hope you didn't put too much thought into that one. :)

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I have both in 14's and 16's

I use the shorter drums more. I don't notice a real big difference in feel or sound with the 14s but I too prefer the shallower 16's feel, size and tunability.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
For those of you guys who have experience with both depths for floor toms:

What are the differences in sound and tone with 16" toms, comparing
16x16 to 16x14?

I have 10x8, 12x9 and 14x14, and I want to order a 16x16, but I was offered
a 16x14 with a special price. Should I go with that, or order my preferred size?
I had a 16x16 floor tom and a 16x13 (deep) floor tom. And I hated the 13 inch deep one. I could never get it to sound right to my ears. Perhaps this is because when I started playing, 16x16 was your only choice and I just learned to deal with it. But like others, I'm a big fan of square floor toms, and I can make them sound good. It's always a different animal when they're shallow for me.

How special is this price you're talking about? Remember you'll have to live with whatever you buy, so you might want to get what you want.