16 inch bass drums

randrade89

I've been wanting to convert my 16 floor tom for transportation purposes but I wonder if it would still be somewhat versatile. Anyone tried this? What are your experiences? thanks!

oops

Silver Member
Definitely a good idea, but I'd say it only works in certain contexts.

Don't expect to play it at a rock gig and have it cut through.

I found mine was really hard to play at first. The kick beater rebounds a lot from the head and makes it pretty wild to play. I ended up porting my batter head and it gives it a good solid thuncky sound.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Definitely a good idea, but I'd say it only works in certain contexts.

Don't expect to play it at a rock gig and have it cut through.

I found mine was really hard to play at first. The kick beater rebounds a lot from the head and makes it pretty wild to play. I ended up porting my batter head and it gives it a good solid thuncky sound.
I would echo these comments. I just converted mine and it took some time to get the tuning down and the batter head is tight and muffled which does make the pedal beater come back in a hurry.

bonzolead

Platinum Member
The only time I've played a 16" bd is when I went through my 24" bd head and used my 16" ft LOL for sure it wasn't. the same but I made it work & got through the gig.

it didn't. sound bad but not something I would choose, maybe if I would've had time too mess with heads it would've sounded better but you can't. do that during a gig LOL

Bonzolead