14x6.5 Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare drum.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Well, what can I say other than this is a fantastic snare :) Still have the supplied heads on it with careful tuning. 30 strand Puresound snares & this thing just sings :) One of the best purchases I have made. Love it already.

fullsizeoutput_ed1 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

yammyfan

Well, what can I say other than this is a fantastic snare :) Still have the supplied heads on it with careful tuning. 30 strand Puresound snares & this thing just sings :) One of the best purchases I have made. Love it already.
Great photo!

I ordered a set of Puresound 24 strand brass wires for mine. Looking forward to trying them out.

yammyfan

I didn't try it with the originals. Swapped straight to the Puresound. Like you, have them on all of my snares :)
Sounds like a good endorsement!

These will be my first Puresound wires. Somebody here at DW posited that brass wires and steel snare drums go well together so I'm giving it a shot.

I'd love to own a Recording Custom or other good aluminum snare one day but if this SC steel snare gives me 90% of the performance for 25% of the price, this combo will be hard to beat!

yammyfan

Interesting, how it compares to Recording Custom stainless steel snare drum...
I wish I had an RC snare to compare the SC snare to. I would love to answer that question for you.

I love the drum as-is and hope that the Puresound brass wires (not yet installed) elevate it further. I'm not sure how much more I can expect from a snare other than what I'm getting from the 1465.

It won't be the last snare I'll want to buy but it might be the last one I need to buy!

Waffe

I guess that Stage Custom and Recording Custom snare drums are made on the same factory - that was the main reason for my interest. If the quality is on par, I can't justify the x3 price gap.