14x5 Ludwig Blue/Olive Classic snare help

AModestRat

Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away two weeks ago and left me some things in his will. One of the things he left me was a 14x5 Ludwig Classic snare, Blue/Olive badge, serial no. 2226949. I've traced it back to the late 70's/early 80's, but I don't know much about it otherwise. Looks like 5 ply maple/poplar?

Three questions:
- Snare throw-off and butt plate are kind of rusted, any way to get another throw off like a P85? Not sure if the P85 will fit, as the throw-off holes are quite close
- Construction and bearing edges? Looks to be 45 with slight outer cut but not sure
- Anything else to know?

Attachments

M

Matt Bo Eder

My condolences.

Regarding the drum, you could install a P-85, but then you'd also have to install a snare bed since the P-87 doesn't require a snare bed.

If the shell has no reinforcement rings, then it's straight 6-ply maple.

I would recommend leaving the strainer part alone and go on a search for replacement snare wires for that strainer. Last I checked, someone had NOS snare wires on eBay for $100, but it would be worth it. Otherwise, you're re-drilling the shell and having a snare bed installed.

Elegentdrum

Ludwigs like this are considered classic. I estimate it's worth about $350 and if it's in very good condition (flat, Round, bearing-edge) and sound good then could be worth $800

The metal lug snare's are the classic, the original "Superphonic" but when it comes to wood snares, Ludwig is not the top of the food chain.

Across time, Ludwig has some of the best and some of the worst drums ever made, so it's hit or miss.

You could have a real classic. it all depends on how it sounds.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Those longer snare wires provide an extra sensitivity compared to normal snare wires.
My advice is to not mess with this snare drum. It is a classic collectible drum.
Play it, save it as a family heirloom or sell it. Don't modify it.

mpthomson

My condolences.

Regarding the drum, you could install a P-85, but then you'd also have to install a snare bed since the P-87 doesn't require a snare bed.

If the shell has no reinforcement rings, then it's straight 6-ply maple.

I would recommend leaving the strainer part alone and go on a search for replacement snare wires for that strainer. Last I checked, someone had NOS snare wires on eBay for $100, but it would be worth it. Otherwise, you're re-drilling the shell and having a snare bed installed.
I had the 6.5" version of this drum a while ago. It had been modified to take normal snare wires and had no snare bed but worked perfectly and without buzz, so it's possible to do w/o the snare bed. Big, fat meaty rock snare drum.