13" toms

kettles

Gold Member
Wouldn't say I struggle tuning mine. What brand/model have you got?

My kit came with 13,16,18 toms and I often wish it was a 12 instead of the 13 because I like the slightly higher note on my rack. But the 13 really kicks ass for some of the heavier stuff I've been playing lately and I don't think the 12 would cut it for that.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I don't struggle with tuning 13" toms per se; they tune up as easily as any other drum. I do, however, experience difficulty in tuning them to a different pitch than the 12" tom they're sitting right next to, nine times out of ten. So I don't play one currently.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I have both a 12" and a 13" and very rarely use them together. I usually just run a single rack tom and 95% of the time it's the 13". Every now and again I put the 12" up there but it doesn't have the same fullness the 13" has, which is why I prefer the 13".

Tuning is a big issue, though, especially on those rare occasions when I run both the 12" and 13". I always have to tune the 13" lower than I like and the 12" higher than I like in order to get the separation. I agree with those that say that there are better tom size combos than the 12" / 13" affords.

Thank you all for your replies, all are a great help. I did gave a play around with it and I did manage to get closer to the sound I wanted. It's not so much that I struggle with the actual tuning, it's more being unable to get a good sound out of it. Maybe I have the wrong heads on there. The set is a TAMA Rockstar gloss finish.

-Joey

wsabol

Gold Member
I have never found a place for a 13" tom when I've used it with a 12" or a 14". There is just not enough separation for me.

Joey i have a 16 inch all maple 3007 sonor floor tom. My whole set sounds and looks beautiful but I have had the hardest time trying to get a nice clean low note out of it. It is strange because my 12 inch tom tunes up perfect and has a distint low nice tone but the floor tom has to be tightened real tight to get it to sing which makes my drumset sound backwards. Some people say try different heads but damn when you start buying different heads to try it can get quite expensive. I did place some foam under each leg of my floortom and it helped it vibrate more so it could sing. Have you thought of the way the tom is mounted? Is the shell being chocked so it cant vibrate? try placing it on your snare stand and dont tighten the grips, see how it sings when its not being clamped.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I like to only use my 13" tom on a four piece kit with a 16" floor tom. It is a great tom when it is on it's own so to speak.
I find that the 13" tom does not sound as good when it is in between a 12 and a 14" tom.
I can tune it to be in between the 12 and 14' toms, but I just don't feel that there is enough separation to warrant using the 13 as a middleman.
I don't know if it is true of not but the story that I have always heard is that the 13 became pop because Gene K liked it on his kit.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Krupa was the most influential pioneer of how the modern drum set is configured, so he probably is responsible for the 9x13 becoming the standard rack tom size. But I also think it's just simply the largest rack tom you can comfortable mount above a large bass drum. It might be good to pair a 16x16 with something like a 10x14 rack tom but mounting a drum that size is tricky.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Krupa was the most influential pioneer of how the modern drum set is configured, so he probably is responsible for the 9x13 becoming the standard rack tom size. But I also think it's just simply the largest rack tom you can comfortable mount above a large bass drum. It might be good to pair a 16x16 with something like a 10x14 rack tom but mounting a drum that size is tricky.
I also have a 10x14 and It does have to hang way to the side when over a 22 inch bass drum.
I sit pretty high on the throne and the 9x13 just makes it over the 22 bass.