13" Snare Drums?

Ainulindale

Gold Member
just looking for feed back from owners of 13" snare drums, brass in particular, but any opinions on the 13" size would be great, the big question would be - how well does a 13" snare drum work as a main snare? thanks guys!

I have a 13" steel that I used for my main for nearly a year, until I got this 14" Black Panther I've got right now. The 13" was good as a main, but now I have it extremely tight, and off next to my hi hats as a secondary.

I gotta say, I miss the extra inch of leg room.

I use a custom 13" as my main snare most of the time (maple, not brass). Its tuned up tight and dry. It definitely works well in the appropriate setting. I also think that a 13" brass snare would have some real potential to be a great main.

motleyh

I go back and forth between 13s and 14s as main snares all the time. I find a 13 works just fine, although in brass it has a little too much high end and not enough body for my taste. A brass 6 x 13 might be nice, though...

macmarkus

there's another thread with the same theme ... i like my two 13" snares (5.5 solid maple and 6.5 stainless steel) as main snares.
tony does, too. ;-)

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Here is a link to the other recent thread about 13 inch snare drums
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68587

13 inch as a main snare? Not a problem for most drummers!
Thanks for the plug Bob!
Yeah, that was a fun thread, as well as fun research. I agree with motleyh, regarding a high end tone from a brass shell. I do believe, however that brass, next to copper can offer lower tones. And increasing the depth would still add lower end.

There were also some strong "metal" shell recommendations as well.

Given that I was already reducing the diameter to a 13 (altering tone accordingly), I wanted to keep some lower end and decided stay with maple. IMO, this would provide a wide enough tone range to also use as a main snare.

Bottom line, the style and music you play may very well fit into a brass shell. As always, you will be the best critic and most appreciative of that.

I dig my new 13"!! I am using the box it came with to store Mr. DW 14"! Let your ears decide from here! Lotsa nice (too many) 13 inchers out there!

Last edited:

Ainulindale

Gold Member
thanks guys! and a big thanks to bobdadruma! read through the other thread (i swear i used the search first) good stuff

i'm trying to put together a plan for a pop, funk, blues set up and am looking at a snare with more pop than crack, really like Yamaha 6.5x13 brass, but Black Panther CherryBomb is also nice too

from what you have all said though, looks like i should track down a couple maple shells and give them a listen, any reccomendations for a budget minded 6or6.5x13" maple shell?

thanks again everyone...

BigDinSD

Gold Member
thanks guys! and a big thanks to bobdadruma! read through the other thread (i swear i used the search first) good stuff

i'm trying to put together a plan for a pop, funk, blues set up and am looking at a snare with more pop than crack, really like Yamaha 6.5x13 brass, but Black Panther CherryBomb is also nice too

from what you have all said though, looks like i should track down a couple maple shells and give them a listen, any reccomendations for a budget minded 6or6.5x13" maple shell?

thanks again everyone...
http://www.gearguruz.com/video/MDAwMDAwMmJiZA==.aspx

Here is a great link from Gear Guruz that compares the Yammie Musashi, Steve Jordan, Tama Artwood series (my personal choice), and the Gretsch Catalina Club.

I think they're all 6.5 x 13's (except for Gretsch). Price: $190 - 550. Subtle tone differences, dependent on wood, ply thickness, depth and batter head.

I also considered the Black Panthers and Pork Pies. Research was halted on those, when I coincidentally came across a killer price on the Tama, which MF matched. It was less than half the price of the Yammy's. I'm sure the other drums sound great, but when I hit that price point, it was done.

I am a DW guy, so the most difficult part was accepting the fact that I did not have to pay another King's ransom to get nice sounding gear. A lesson well - learned.

Ainulindale

Gold Member
thanks for the link BigD, i like how they played the drums before they started talking types of wood, bearing edges, etc... it made you appriciate the sound without any preconceptions, i actually really liked the sound of the Gretsch, a mellow, but just fat enough sound, nice

was also looking at the Mapex Mpx 6x13" Maple, anybody play this snare?

thanks again BigD!

Evilbagua

Silver Member
I own 2 13's a 13x9 Birch and a 13x7 Brass. Since I got the 9 I have no need for the brass. It works fine as a main snare even with my big 24-28" kicks lots of crack but not too thin sounding.