10 Best Drum Songs to Learn as a Beginner

N

nhzoso

Alot of the songs i see posted here are definitely not for "beginners". Of course some of the good beginner songs are from bands like The Cars and AC/DC and maybe Black Crowes. Even alot of the songs from those kinda bands will throw you for a curve.
Not too mention that playing these so called "easy" songs along to cd's is one thing but when you play them with a band they are all a bit tougher because you are the clock and that is HUGE!

Belgiandrummerguy

Lots of help here, but pick ten you like not us. And hold off on the double pedal. They may be too advanced for now and you can always start them later. You can be a rock star without a double pedal.
That's true, look at Mick Harris (Napalm Death), he does blastbeats with just the one bass pedal.

drummerlevihansen12

The first ten songs I learned were
1. Paranoid- Black Sabbath
2. Satisfaction- Rolling Stones
3. Breaking The Law- Judas Priest
4. Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana
5. In Bloom- Nirvana
6.She Will Be Loved- Maroon 5
7. Beverly Hills- Weezer
8. Lithium- Nirvana
9.Move Along- All-American Rejects
10.Creep- Radiohead

Some are a little challenging but they are pretty easy overall

RinkRat

The first ten songs I learned were
1. Paranoid- Black Sabbath
2. Satisfaction- Rolling Stones
3. Breaking The Law- Judas Priest
4. Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana
5. In Bloom- Nirvana
6.She Will Be Loved- Maroon 5
7. Beverly Hills- Weezer
8. Lithium- Nirvana
9.Move Along- All-American Rejects
10.Creep- Radiohead

Some are a little challenging but they are pretty easy overall
Aw man. I thought I was doing really well for the last couple of weeks! I regularly practice 1,3,4,5,7 & 8! Along with the Nirvana Unplugged CD. (Seriously, these are the songs I practice to).

But the tough part is to your expectations in check when you try a few tunes that are a bit over your head.

Still wicked fun re-learning.

Why did I give up playing so long ago? <*kicks self*>

J

jamallax89

I'd go for some some songs that have some distinct drum fills in them that everyone can identify by drums alone, stuff like:

Tom Sawyer- Rush
In the Air Tonight- Genesis
Sunday Bloody Sunday- U2
Walk This Way- Aerosmith
Who are You- The Who
50 Ways to Leave your lover- Paul Simon
Warpigs- Black Sabbath
Run to the Hills- Iron Maiden
We're not gonna Take it- Twisted Sister
Higher Love- Peter Gabriel
Thank you very much. its really awesome. I like it

Mickey W

I realise i am a bit lat ehere and not sure if anyone has mentioned it but a couple of ZZ Top songs helped me. "Gimme all your lovin" is easy. You are pretty stationary on the kit and the beat is steady so it helps a lot with improving your timing. I also found it was the only song i could count out at the same time as playing. That helped me loads with other songs!

Mickey

Jrook5

1. War pigs - black sabbath
2. Carry on my wayward son - Kansas
3. Would - Alice in chains
4. Seek and destroy - Metallica
5. Superstition - Stevie wonder or play that funky music white boy - James brown
6. Sing sing sing - Benny goodman
7. Bossa nova USA - Dave Brubeck quartet
8. Not afraid - eminem
9. Happy - pharrell Williams
10. Fragile - tech n9ne

I tried to pick at least one song from each style of music, if you can play these songs it will help a lot and you can apply a lot of that stuff to other music. Once you become more advanced here are some others to learn

1. Tom Sawyer - rush
2. The spirit of radio - rush
3. Achilles last stand - led zeppelin
4. Them bones - Alice in chains
5. Master of puppets - Metallica
6. What is hip - tower of power
7. Take five - dave Brubeck quartet
8. The girl from ipanema - Stan gets (apply some of the things from bossa nova USA to this and learn to kind of play along to the melody with your left hand)
9. Cleanin out my closet - eminem
10. Bleed - meshuggah

sdedge

Well i think every song thats simple and steady is a good beginning,because timing [to play in time] is the most importuned at the drums now days.
If you learn that well ,you will have good basic starting point to do all the flashy stuff later on.It maybe boring ,but doing a parradildles or rolls are boring to ,but necessary to do to get skills.
somethings seems easy like, playing very slow and keep time for a long time
like:
Comfortably numb by pink floyd.
gravity by john mayer.
So every song will do but always look at the basic groove and master that.
showboating and bad timing will get you no good gigs, only bad ones.

G

Ghostnote

The whole Back In Black album by AC/DC would be a good place to start.

razier

Whoever mentioned about the teacher should have his own song list & having the students doing rudiments, proper stick control &, learning to read music is absolutely correct. You can learn songs on your own, you want a teacher that teaches you the basic & most important rudiments to practice that you will use your entire life of playing drums. Those are the things that develop structure & discipline so you can play anything better. You may discover that a lot of music you may enjoy listening to is not the music you enjoy playing.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Happy Jack.....the Who
Get Off of My Cloud....Rolling Stones
I Want to Hold You Hand....the Beatles
Good Lovin'....the Young Rascals
Begin the Beguinne...Artie Shaw
In the Still of the Night...the Five Satins
Sharp Dressed Man....ZZ Top
Just a Little...the Beau Brummels
Sway...Dean Martin
Wipe Out....the Safaris
OH....ONE MORE(#11)....Ticket to Ride....the Beatles

gotta say...the most influential of all those for me was Happy Jack. Showed me you don't have to be a backbeat, sit quietly, smiling human metronome. Give it a good listen and you'll see what I mean.

Oh yeah...any drumming by Hal Blaine. Choose from thousands of great songs.

Yogic Drummer

Some of the first songs I learned were:

Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
In bloom - Nirvana
Back in Black - AC/DC
Rock N Roll Train - AC/DC
Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
Walk this Way - Aerosmith
Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
Countdown to Extinction - Megadeth
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Walk - Pantera

Of course you can always improvise when necessary (on fills for example) A great thing about drumming is we can usually do this without getting caught!

It always helps to find the drum track to the song you're learning if possible. Watching drum covers is a big help too.

GeoB

Gold Member
Well, this post started in January of 2009...

If OP is still reading this I have questions. After 6 years what are you up to? How's the progress? Can you provide an update? What are you working on? How's the kit holding up? Are you developing your own thing? Inquiring minds want to know.