10 Basic Songs to Start With..

paistemage

Hey, Maulik, what styles of music you like?

I learned "fire" by hendrixx, "for whom the bell tolls," by metallica," and some others.

It really comes down to though what your aspirations are, and some styles you want to accomplish.

I love to hear a new drummer with determination...

brentcn

Platinum Member
The same 10 that your band is learning! If you're not playing these songs with other musicians, it doesn't count. There's a huge difference between learning the drum part and communicating the song to a group of players. If you don't have a band, get into one immediately, and have no restrictions on what songs you're willing to learn!

Good luck!

SticksEasy

I recomend 'Stinkfist' by Tool for any beginning drummer.
It'll help build independence, and get you used to tempo changes.
It's also good for practicing open hi hat accents.

PeteN

Silver Member
Billy Jean - Michael Jackson is a great song to practice over and over, beginner or advanced

MaryO

Platinum Member
The first song I learned from start to finish was Love Hurts by Nazareth. Really simple, even the fills are pretty straight forward.

But perhaps more important than learning a song, fills and all, is just taking any song you like and see if you can keep a simple rock beat going through out the whole song. Don't worry about fills or the extra stuff at first, just get through the song and then do it until you're really comfortable with it and can keep a steady tempo through out. Fills and the fancy stuff will come later but build a good foundation of timing, and your playing will be much better for it later on.

Good luck!

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'd say, whatever music you like, listen to a lot (so you're familiar with it) and you think you can pull off, go for it. AC/DC, for instance. Cool, if that's what you listen to .... but if you're a jazz guy .... or a country fan .... or "whatever" something else, play that.​
I started playing drums, in the 60's, and basically any song I liked on AM radio was fair game, to practice to. Steppenwolf, Cream, Creedence, and later, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper.​

paistemage

Stinkfist by TOOL? I think as a beginner that would get him frustrated , and in the beginning it is a lot of frustration over not knowing HOW to play.
"In Bloom" is an easy yet fun song.
Temptations or Motown songs are pretty straightforward and easy.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I'd say, whatever music you like, listen to a lot (so you're familiar with it) and you think you can pull off, go for it. AC/DC, for instance. Cool, if that's what you listen to .... but if you're a jazz guy .... or a country fan .... or "whatever" something else, play that.​
I started playing drums, in the 60's, and basically any song I liked on AM radio was fair game, to practice to. Steppenwolf, Cream, Creedence, and later, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper.​
+1 ^^^ What he said...especially CCR. Simple, yet effective drumming right there. Just like AC/DC. If I was to learn jazz, I'd go with beginning jazz DVD's because I assume that the songs they play on those DVD's are as good as any.

I just played a gig with 9 super simple songs. Any high school kid with a few years of drumming could have pulled this gig off.

Just what I needed - the Cars
Fly me Courageous - Drivin N Crying
Cumbersome - Seven Mary Three
Not to touch the Earth - the Doors
Super Bon Bon - Soul Coughing
Surrender - Cheap Trick
Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
Rock n Roll All Night - KISS
Born to be my Baby (acoustic version) - Bon Jovi

I actually played guitar on the Bon Jovi song but the regular version has drums on it. This version is way better though. Ritchie Sambora's solo absolutely shreds on this track.

maulikplays

Hey, Maulik, what styles of music you like?

I learned "fire" by hendrixx, "for whom the bell tolls," by metallica," and some others.

It really comes down to though what your aspirations are, and some styles you want to accomplish.

I love to hear a new drummer with determination...
I like progressive stuff mostly.. I think that the music I listen to is too difficult to cover. For eg. I love the new Lamb of God album - Resolution, but covering any of that is far from my capability at the moment.

The same 10 that your band is learning! If you're not playing these songs with other musicians, it doesn't count. There's a huge difference between learning the drum part and communicating the song to a group of players. If you don't have a band, get into one immediately, and have no restrictions on what songs you're willing to learn!

Good luck!
That's good advice. I still think I need to prepare some songs for a band to appoint me, although I would LOVE to play for a band at the moment and I'll also get to make some bucks so I can buy new gear :D

I recomend 'Stinkfist' by Tool for any beginning drummer.
It'll help build independence, and get you used to tempo changes.
It's also good for practicing open hi hat accents.
Oh how I'd love to play that song!

Anything ACDC. Increadibly, mind numbingly basic.
Got that a lot, I'm going to try some AC/DC for sure. After all, we're about to rock! ;)

The first song I learned from start to finish was Love Hurts by Nazareth. Really simple, even the fills are pretty straight forward.

But perhaps more important than learning a song, fills and all, is just taking any song you like and see if you can keep a simple rock beat going through out the whole song. Don't worry about fills or the extra stuff at first, just get through the song and then do it until you're really comfortable with it and can keep a steady tempo through out. Fills and the fancy stuff will come later but build a good foundation of timing, and your playing will be much better for it later on.

Good luck!
You actually made a really good point. This is quite what I wanted to hear, thanks a bunch!

All folks, thanks a lot for the suggestions & advices. Much appreciated :)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Just start with a basic beat... keeping good time,and practice with a metronome,but don't become dependant on it.If you can't keep time,no band will want you.Practicing your rudaments while listening to a song with basic rock beat,will help you develop playing fills,and where they sound the best.It's not always about how many notes you can play to a bar. I know some guys swear by clicks live,but .....what did we do before that.Good drummers were also good time keepers.Not perfect,but very good.Just learn to keep good time,and count when you're doing fills,so you come in where you're suppose to..Thats the basics.Stick with that till you're comfortable,then work on speed,different beats,and more complex fills.

It takes time.Try to learn by going A to Z,instead of having to back track.Discipline and serious practice routines will help you progress quickly.Good luck

Steve B

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Trust you to put that link Bon, eh? :)
You know, I didn't even realize the coincidence until you just pointed it out. The bass player picked that one to play. He likes to solo and make all kinds of squeaky grumbling sounds on his distorted bass during that song. The singer played a second bass on that song for the rhythm instead of a second guitar. It was a cool song to play.

BTW, figures this dude is a metal head...I don't even know why I even respond to these posts.

Popcorn Mogul

I know it's a bit of a late reply, but try 'eye of the tiger - survivor'. It's not all that difficult and there are many ways to fill in the fills. It isn't a particularly metally song If you're a metal guy then maybe you could play it on the cymbals or something?

Have fun anyway... :)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I don't understand the question.

Why wouldn't anyone just start with the music that made them WANT to play drums in the first place?