1 additional great thing about the Holidays!

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Typically, in many parts of the world - "the weather outside is frightful ♫♪ ..♪♫♪ ♫♪ - but the fire is so delightful"

So what does colder weather mean for us drummers?

If you live in a house (vs apartment or condo), your neighbors probably have their windows closed all day. This means you can take off the drum mutes and shred longer hours without bugging your neighbors.

I said many parts of the world only, because here in San Diego, CA, my next door neighbor washes his car and polishes his motorcycle daily...

Hurry before summer gets here!

S

sticks4drums

Well I live in an old farm house on 10 acres with no neighbors, so I can play anytime I want, but I sure wish I could drive my motorcycle all year. I would just sell my snowmobile, and get another bike with the money. It is 30 degrees F outside right now, with no snow, and no signs of it for Christmas. That can change in a hurry. I am sitting by my fire right now typing this. :)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Well I live in an old farm house on 10 acres with no neighbors, so I can play anytime I want, but I sure wish I could drive my motorcycle all year. I would just sell my snowmobile, and get another bike with the money. It is 30 degrees F outside right now, with no snow, and no signs of it for Christmas. That can change in a hurry. I am sitting by my fire right now typing this. :)
Sounds very nice and cosy Sticks :)

I live in a house next to a cornfield and a castle, so now direct neighbours, I can play all day if I wish to do so, the only complaints are only from my wife and daughter, although they're are pretty easy going about it ;-))

S

sticks4drums

Sounds very nice and cosy Sticks :)

I live in a house next to a cornfield and a castle, so now direct neighbours, I can play all day if I wish to do so, the only complaints are only from my wife and daughter, although they're are pretty easy going about it ;-))
Aren't we the lucky ones. :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Well I live in a castle and if any of the local knaves complain I just have them beheaded. I have had one set of neighbors come knocking on my door, to se who the new neighbor was. I told them I had been there for over 20 years and they said they had never heard the drums before so they thought they had new neighbors. I told them after 32 years I had bought drums and was starting again. We discussed sleeping times , was told I was too good not to be in a band, (they each had a beer in their hands) so I thanked them and if they ever felt bothered to come and tell me. No other neighbors have complained. It was 80F here today and because of allergies my windows are always closed. Rock on.

I live on a street where everyones old and pretty much going deaf or not caring about anything. :)

They say "Better playing drums than out causing trouble" as Scotland/The UK is just full of people causing trouble. Where as, I'm privileged to be able to play drums or guitar or whatever with my friends really loud and the neighbours don't care :)

An upside for me on Christmas though, I can get more money and blow it on my drums :D wooooo!

the_dude

I wish that I lived where I could ride my motorcycle all year round.
As far as neighbors complaining about my drumming they would have more of a right to complain about the quality of my drumming as opposed to the noise.
My yard is postage stamp sized and the houses are very close to one another.
One of my next door neighbors was having a party the night before his wedding, also the night we moved in. He apologized in advance it case they got too loud. I told him not to worry as I play the drums and will be making some noise of my own.
That was seven years ago and never one complaint.
The house on the other side of us has been mostly unoccupied. The latest resident is hardly ever there. I've only interacted with him once and that was when I knocked on his door at 11:00 at night to tell him he had left his garage door open.
Not even a thank you.
As long as I obey the local noise ordinance people can complain all they want.