Search results

1. PlayTheSong

Your stick preference is it?

Thanks Beatdat!
  2. PlayTheSong

Your stick preference is it?

Anyone here familiar with Headhunter maple sticks? I can't find them anymore online so I guess they went under ☹️. Their BB's are perfect for me.
  3. PlayTheSong

Tama 50th Anniversary Reissue of Superstar Birch Sets

Sure they're overpriced, because they're selling nostalgia to older guys like me. I bought super mahogany xtras in 1984 and honestly, I haven't been this excited about a product since I bought the originals. I don't need them, but for someone like me, who finds newer drums flimsy and doesn't...
  4. PlayTheSong

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

I play that one Bossa Nova in the verses Bossa Nova in the verse, straight in the chorus.
  5. PlayTheSong

Your Moment of Glory

Is there one drumming event in your memory that surpasses all others? Whether you're a basement hacker or a seasoned pro, there may be one outstanding day when you passed the audition, got the gig, impressed the girl and/or had a blast. For me it was in college at a Stage Band Competition...
  6. PlayTheSong

New to forum

Welcome! I have to agree with the others, this is a very pretty kit.
  7. PlayTheSong

A suggestion for reviewing others

There's no way of enforcing this, even if anyone wanted to make it a forum rule, but I think it would be a great thing if........ When reviewing someone else's performance here, always point out the one thing they did best and the one thing that needs work. Nothing else. That way no-one needs...
  8. PlayTheSong

Welcome Aboard! Not sure I have any words of advice, other than enjoy! and find friends to play with, but you'll find tons of useful and friendly advice here on everything drum-related.
  9. PlayTheSong

Worship drummer - variety?

This question is for the many drummers on this site who listen to Christian music and/or play in church. I'm looking for music that is outside the Hillsong genre (which I commend, but it's starting to all sound the same to me ). You folks have any favorite bands that play bluegrass, folk, funk...
  10. PlayTheSong

Ringo Starr

Who would imagine that anyone could become that famous as a drummer without being able to do certain things that most of us take for granted! Why did Ringo win out over Pete Best? My understanding was Pete had some attitude, and George Martin didn't think he could play well in the studio. So it...
  11. PlayTheSong

Evolution of Tama lines (partial)

For anyone trying to figure out the timeline of vintage Tama drums, I assembled this little graphic based on all the Tama catalogs available online. Cheaper models at the bottom, most expensive at the top...
  12. PlayTheSong

A Different Left Hand Question

I play matched grip and occasionally I try to get my left fingers and wrist motion to be identical to my right, thinking that would make my rudiments more even. But lately I've been wondering, if we accept traditional grip, in which the left hand grip is nothing like the right, why expect the...
  13. PlayTheSong

What would be your dream kit?

I agree. I'm not immune to drum envy, but I think for most of us wanna-be's, obsessing over gear is a distraction from the business of practicing and playing. I saw an article yesterday about a pro drummer who doesn't transport drums at all, just uses the house equipment wherever he goes...
  14. PlayTheSong

Practice pad?

Welcome TubThumping! Although some practice pads are better than others, the important thing is to get one and start on the rudiments. They aren't nearly as much fun as playing a kit, which in turn is not nearly as much fun as playing with other musicians, but they will redeem your months of...
  15. PlayTheSong

Encouragement!

Subbed for a big band well above my current level. I was intimidated but determined not to chicken out, whatever the results. I did my homework and actually pulled it off. Made new contacts, got some flattering comments. For many of you, this will seem kinda lame, getting all excited when...
  16. PlayTheSong

If drumming styles were in heading or signature.

I changed my signature too. I'm intimidated by the suggestion of semi-mandatory videos, but I like it. It would feel very honest to put it out there, warts and all and not feel like I'm pretending to be more legit than I am.
  17. PlayTheSong

Drummerworld gives great advice!

After a 30 year break, I started drumming in a community concert band last January. Playing regularly with others and recording the practices has helped me improve much more than only practicing at home. And while I only have time for this one band in my life right now, I've been invited to...
  18. PlayTheSong

Oddly Intimidating Solution

I've been wondering how to find more practice time when I work full time, have a long commute and don't want to ditch the family when I get home. So I bought a 2nd hand practice pad on a stand and went down to the parking garage under our office building at lunch. Found a remote corner, put in...
  19. PlayTheSong

Getting gigs / self-promotion

I know that playing with other musicians as much as possible gives you the best chance to know about opportunities in your area, but other than word-of-mouth, has anyone had success with self-promotion on social media, using craigslist-type classified ads or any other devious means? If this has...
  20. PlayTheSong

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

I'm going to tap into some of the group expertise here if I may. A few years ago I backed an "Andrews Sisters" cover group for one event. (Sadly, the singers sucked.) Before the first rehearsal I listened to the original recording from 1941 and was intrigued by the rhythm, which is not quite...
Back