Search results

1. Shedboyxx

What’s the “Supra” of Piccolos?

I owned one of these (Brass Pearl FF piccolo) but sold it after not using it on a gig for a year. It really was versatile and sounded good tuned down as well as up.
  2. Shedboyxx

Is it dumb of me to buy Constantinople?

I have a 20 in K Connie ride (Medium Thin Low) and an 18 inch K Connie crash. I use a pair of Dark Custom hi-hats with them because I liked the sound they made over K Connie hi hats. Having said all that, my full set of K Sweet's are on highest rotation for the gigs I'm doing now. It really is...
  3. Shedboyxx

Too old to Play Drums

I'm a fairly young 61, still feel good about playing, have a couple of regular gigs and would welcome more. The playing is never an issue and I don't see it being that way for some time. Load-ins/outs: That gives me pause. Two weeks ago i played a club with an act who I gig with regularly. We...
  4. Shedboyxx

Ludwig Supraphonic Deal

Money well spent. I want one but since I got a simiar smoking used deal on a '68 Acrolite, I have other snares prioritized.
  5. Shedboyxx

TD-1K or TD-1DMK?

As stated the main difference are the mesh heads on the TD-1DMK. Most players whether they feel $200 is a good value or not like to play on mesh heads. If you don't or it doesn't matter then save the money and get the TD-1
  6. Shedboyxx

Favorite Memory Locks - Floor Tom Legs

I need to get some memory locks for my Ludwig Breakbeats floor tom legs. I'm leaning toward DW as that's what I have on my Yamaha MCAN Floor tom legs (converted from hanging). Any favs? Or on the other end - bad experiences?
  7. Shedboyxx

DTX Multi-12 for Superior Drummer - Hi Hat

I'm researching what kind of multi pad instrument I can use for triggering Superior Drummer. I own an (older) SPD-S and have used it for occasional sounds live. This by using internal sounds or sounds imported from CF cards. It has also triggered toms, snares, cymbals and bass drums in Superior...
  8. Shedboyxx

Kansas City Jazz Scene 2014?

Looking to hear from some working players who either live in Kansas City or have lived there for a while in the recent past. I know someone who is planning on moving from Los Angeles to KC because of the lower cost of living and what he believes is a much healthier jazz scene. I've heard the...
  9. Shedboyxx

Drum(backline) rental in Frankfurt, Germany?

I think this is too late to make a difference but... I'm playing in Frankfurt, Germany on Feb 21st. The guy I'm playing for has tried to research renting back line drums for the gig but has come up with only very expensive or very iffy solutions. Anybody from Frankfurt or who has gigged there...
  10. Shedboyxx

Ringo's Hi Hats on Ed Sullivan

So there's a Beatles thread in General Discussion with folks mixing it up about whether the Beatles were great or not. That's not what this thread is about. Simple gear question for those that watched or know the answer. To me it looked like he had 16 inch hi hats or at least a much bigger...
  11. Shedboyxx

'Justified' fans? - Ludwig

Last week's episode ('Raw Deal'?). Actually head mentioned in a conversation between Boyd Crowder and one of the big pot dealers in Harlan (don't remember the character): "....I remember this old Ludwig drum kit with a calfskin head on the bass drum....." To me that's the first time I'd even...
  12. Shedboyxx

Kudos to Evans customer service again

I wanted to give credit where credit's due in regards to Evans service. I recently jumped in on the Best Buy clearance closeouts and picked up a 14" coated Power Center Reverse Dot they were blowing out. I pulled the head partially out of the box while in the store and saw it was as promised a...
  13. Shedboyxx

Shooting drum video with iPhone - challenge

Hi all. I'm getting ready to throw up some educational videos and I'm using my iPhone 4s to shoot the video. First time doing this. I've come across a challenge. The room my drums are in that we use to record is not very big. It holds the drums along with mikes for some recording and a music...
  14. Shedboyxx

"Are those your drums?" - Letterman

Love it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M65Dx0STe2M
  15. Shedboyxx

Yamaha HS740 - spring issue?

I've had a Yamaha HS740 hi hat for years and for the most part like it. It's lightweight and well built. One issue that I haven't been able to resolve is that the spring tension won't go down to where I want it. I've compared it against (2) other HS740's and they seem to be fine. The only...
  16. Shedboyxx

Craigslist - Very funny...

I gotta think this could be someone on this board. Hilarious. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tlg/3691714186.html
  17. Shedboyxx

L.A. Folks: West LA Music going out of business

Got the following email today: Kind of a drag as another independent bites the dust. I sensed that something had been wrong there a while after drum manager Frank and one of my favorite sales guys split. That was a while after Glen Noyes left to work for Guitar Center as their drum...
  18. Shedboyxx

One of my gigs with Tim Russ

One of the more consistent gigs I have is with actor Tim Russ. Tim's an L.A. based working actor who I have known and worked with for over 20 years. Tim's most famous role has been as a featured character on the Star Trek franchise offering "Star Trek: Voyager" as Tuvok. I was just reading...
  19. Shedboyxx

Nice Pork Pie article. Congrats Bill Detamore

I live within 5 minutes of the Pork Pie shop and have used them for doing the edges on my Gretsch drums. Love my Pork Pie snares as well. Here's a nice local article on Bill and Pork Pie. http://www.dailynews.com/ci_18915529
  20. Shedboyxx

Stop the Presses! Roland SPD-SX replacing SPD-S

At least I think so.. http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=spd-sx .....It's black.......Roland goes goth :)