Search results

1. fess

Is it just me?

I always feel a need to release the snare and unlock the hihat top when I'm done playing. It bothers me that the spring stays a bit compressed with the weight of the top cymbal. And why have tension on the snare cord if you don't need to?
  2. fess

Cymbal cancer warnings

I was just looking at some Meinl cymbals on Mycymbal.com and I'm seeing some of them have cancer warnings on them. I saw the same thing on a few Zildjians also. What's up with that?
  3. fess

OH Boy....New stuff.

I just ordered an Inde kit. It was in stock and I should have it by the weekend. I also ordered the new Yamaha Crosstown lightweight hardware set. My drum kit is going to be so light, I'm going to need to tie it down.
  4. fess

Crazy?

Ever realize that you just paid $3000 for a musical instrument that requires 25sq feet of space, weights 35 lbs but only plays 4 notes? (And one of them is pretty much just a thud)
  5. fess

Intro to 'Take it Easy'

I'm trying to play along with the recording and it's making me crazy. It starts with that guitar chord. I know it's really on the 4& but since it the first thing you hear and it repeats every 4 beats, my brain immediately locks on to it as if it were on the 1. If I could count the song in, I...
  6. fess

Doc Sweeney drums

Anyone have any experience with Doc Sweeney Drums? Custom shop in California. They look very nice, but there seems to be very little user feedback around.
  7. fess

Stick between index and middle finger

Does anyone else do this? I've always had a problem with my right (dominant) hand cramping after a while, so I would switch the stick between my index and middle finger. I've been doing it for years and I'm almost as good with it there as in the normal position. I do have a callous on the...
  8. fess

Copper Hoops

I'm looking a a Ludwig Raw Copperphonic that has polished copper hoops.It's kind of strange looking. Just wonder how copper hoops hold up both structurally and aesthetically.
  9. fess

I can't buy a high end snare drum

I keep wanting to buy a nice really high-end snare and will spend hours researching, pricing, listening to YouTube videos. But when the time comes, I always get hung up on the fact that, for the same money, I can buy a whole additional good quality drum kit. So I think it's a crazy idea and do...
  10. fess

Ludwig heads?

Last year, I picked up a new 5 piece set of Ludwig Legacy Mahoganys. The heads are labeled as Ludwig Weatherking Heavy. I've heard that Ludwig has not made tom heads for a while and I don't see them for sale anywhere. Are these rebranded Remos? What current Remo head would be a replacement? I...
  11. fess

Does adding this Tom make sense?

I currently have a DW performance kit 1 up & 1 down. I’d Like to add another high Tom. I have a 12x8 and a16x16 now. Normally I would add a10” to the kit, but that is no longer possible as the color is discontinued. There is a 13x9 available though. Do you think the combo of 12x8, 13x9 and...
  12. fess

I wonder what his real job resume looks like

Found in Musicians section of Craigslist today. ( I censored the actual words) Whatup fools. I am a 27 year old drummer looking for some peeps to jam and play gigs and have a good time with. I just love rock music and give no sh**s about how far we go but I will not be the one holding us back...
  13. fess

Inde vs C&C

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both brands and can compare and contrast. I used to own a player date II kit. I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like it. Loved the look and feel but it always sounded too dead for me, unless it was tuned very high. I tried all kinds...
  14. fess

What is this shell material?

I picked up a Tama Starphonic snare. Seller didn't know what it was. There is no indication on it which model it is. The outside looks like the nickel over brass or polished stainless steel. The inside really looks like stainless to me. But the shell has that protruding ring in the middle that...
  15. fess

Ball socket arm size for Ludwig.

I recently got a new set of Ludwig Legacy drums. I wanted a double tom mount to hang on a cymbal stand, so I ordered an Atlas mount. Surprisingly, the arms where too wide fit into the mounts on the drums. Does anyone know the proper diameter of the arms for the Legacy drums? Thanks.
  16. fess

Black Beauty next to Pork Pie

There was a BB setup right next to a Pork Pie in Guitar Center. Just did a quick comparo with my phone. $470 difference? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCNAGtkRl_c
  17. fess

Single Overhead for live playing

Sorry, I know this has been beaten to death, but it'd still not clear to me. What would be a good suggestion for live gigging in small to medium venues for a single overhead mic. I would be using it in conjunction with a kick mic. I'm looking to get away as cheaply as possible but with decent...
  18. fess

New type of drum trigger

A friend sent me info on this new product. Apparently, you can assign different sounds to different parts of your drum. Doing a rimshot, rim click, hitting the edge or center of the head, all can provide different assigned sounds. I have enough trouble just playing regular drums, but someone...
  19. fess

Help ID Tama snare

I just picked up a used steel Tama Starphonic. But I can't tell if it is just steel, stainless steel or nickel plated. No info on drum except badge and serial #. Serial # search found nothing. It's 14 x 6 Thanks for any help
  20. fess

New ride arrived today.......meh.

Ever see a used cymbal advertised, its got a sound file attached. You play the file over & over. It's exactly what you have been looking for. You finally make the leap and press 'add to cart'. You wait excitedly for days for it to arrive. You rip open the box, run to your kit, put it on the...