Search results

1. mike d

I watched Rena Beaves a couple nights ago...

...with the Carlos Montoya band and what a great, solid, player. The band was fantastic. The venue was small and intimate, and the sound system was good. Rena's playing was incredibly tasteful, and his kit sounded fantastic. Sakae kit with Yamaha signature <someone> COB snare, and Zildjian...
  2. mike d

Vater 8A Maple Sticks

I just picked some of these up, because they I wanted some lighter sticks than my Vater 5A and Fusion Maples. I've tried 7As and just too small for me ;). I'm really like them a lot! Great balance and even better articulation from a light stick. Anyone else try these?
  3. mike d

Vic Firth Titan Carbon Sticks

So I bought a pair of these a while back and didn't play them much, but recently picked them up again, and although they seem different (heavier, more forward weighted, and flexy) than the Vater Sugar Maple Fusions I've been using, they sound good and are starting to grow on me. My concern is...
  4. mike d

New Tama Star finish.

Is this a nice finish or what? It makes me want to sell my Smokey Indigo Burst B/B kit and but one of these? :(
  5. mike d

In praise of the Evan's Torque Key

I've been swapping some heads around and trying to come up with comparable tuning. I have a tunebot, but the process is fairly tedious and requires a lot of attention (for me). My brother (also a drummer), got me an Evan's Torque key for Christmas, which looked like a solution to a non-existent...
  6. mike d

Arcanum Drums

I came upon this company: Arcanum (don't even remember how). I hadn't heard of them, but the drums look stunning! Anyone know anything about these folks?
  7. mike d

Titanium Snare?

Has anyone ever tired a titanium snare? Just curious as to how it would compare with brass, copper, bronze, etc...
  8. mike d

WorldMax snare?

I was thinking of building another snare drum and came across a couple sites that offer either kits or complete snares at pretty competitive prices. One was drummaker.net that offers a complete black brass snare "kit" drilled and ready for assembly, and the other was drumfactorydirect.com that...
  9. mike d

This is what drumming is about.

I just saw this special on TV last night and I was really impressed with Barbara Borden. I hadn't heard of her before, but she represents to me what drumming is really all about. Keeper of the Beat.
  10. mike d

Ahead sticks: 5A vs Lucky Lehrer Speed Stick

I'm really liking the 5As. I really like the balance and the sound I'm getting out of them. They are a little heavier than I'd like though and the LL Speed Sticks have all of the same specs (according to the Ahead site), but are listed as "A light-weight and fast drumstick". Has anyone used...
  11. mike d

Lovin' the 24" Sabian B&U HH King Ride.

I've had it for a couple weeks now, and I must say it's my favorite. It has a more defined ping than most my other rides, with the exception of my HHX Leopard ride which was all ping and no wash. It has a nice controllable graduation of wash from none at the bell to more at the edge, and then...
  12. mike d

Tama Forum Down?

I can't seem to connect to the Tama Forum (http://forum.tama.com), and it says I don't have permission to view the directory or page. Anyone know if it's been taken down? I know it didn't get much action.
  13. mike d

New sticks, some old and new stick wrap.

I just got 6 new pair of Vater Sugar Maple Fusion Nylon tip sticks. I had 4 pair of sticks I had previously wrapped that were ready for the dumpster. I took off the old wrap (ProMark Stick Rapp) and reused it on 4 of the new pair and had a new package of Stick Rapp (enough for 4 sticks) to do...
  14. mike d

New Sabian Apollo 14" Hats

I just received a new set of hats. I really didn't need a new set. I have a set of 14" Sabian HHX Evos that I love, but I heard a set of the Apollos in the store and really liked them, so when Cascio had 20% off, I couldn't resist. Just got them today, but I really like them so far. They are...
  15. mike d

Anyone else using a Tama Hat Stack?

I just got one last week and changed up a splash that was mounted on an extension over one of my other crashes to the Hat Stack. I just love it. When used with a small splash (8" AAX O-Zone in my case) it does not affect hi-hat function at all, and makes a great rhythm accent. I just love...
  16. mike d

Evans needs to make a UV2.

Okay, I love the UV1 for durability and sound on most drums. I had them sounding really good on my three tom B/B kit, but then I added an 18" tom and... holy crap... the UV1's are not going to work. The 18" came with a G2 clear. It sounded good form the factory. I tried to find a spot to tune...
  17. mike d

New addition to my Tama B/B kit.

I have a Tama Performer B/B kit in Smokey Indigo Burst. It consisted of 10" and 12" rack toms, 22" bass, 16" floor tom and 14"x 6.5" snare (I usually use my S.L.P. Bronze snare though). About 5 months ago I ordered a matching 18" floor tom. I had heard rumors that the SIB color was going to...
  18. mike d

Tweaking my drum sound for nobody else but me.

Man, I just love playing my drums, and I love playing with different new cymbals, snares, heads, etc. searching for "my sound". I have a combo that I just love playing right now, (subject to change when the next squirrel runs past, or the UV1 heads I ordered show up), but maybe I'm just being...
  19. mike d

Anyone using a Sennheiser e902?

Anyone use one of these for a bass mic? I bought one a while back, but haven't done any recording with it yet. Feedback on placement and results would be appreciated. ;) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/e902
  20. mike d

Evan's UV1

Anyone using these yet? Interested in how they compare to G2s which I'm using now. I might give them a try, but I also might go with a combo of G12 (10" tom) and G14s (12" and 16").