Search results

1. A

What's the worst kit you've had to play on?

Hi Drummerworld, long time no speak. I suspect most of us have had to learn the hard way about using other people's kits. In the UK at least, it's fairly common practice to share a kit at a gig and for drummers to just bring their breakables. My personal worst was probably when I turned up to...
  2. A

Could I use a triangular bass drum port?

Hi guys, I know there have been plenty of threads on ports, discussing how the size and placement of the port (and also number of ports) affects sound and feel. However, I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a port any shape other than circular? Does anyone know whether using a triangular port...
  3. A

Drummerworld app?!

Am I the only user who would like to see a Drummerworld app? At least just for the forum? The site is a little awkward to use without a specific app for it. If any user on the site knows anything about app development perhaps they could have a go? Or never mind, if it's only me who's thinking...
  4. A

Merch!

Anyone have any experience selling merch for your band etc? How did you find it? Hard to shift? Any stories or experience related to selling merchandise is appreciated :) Just trying to build up a picture of issue and how hard it could be. (I'm thinking mainly about t-shirts curently, but any...
  5. A

Tama Bubinga Select

Anyone seen these? I think they're new, not seen any discussion on them anyway. Popped up when I was browsing the UK Tama site, according to Tama they are hand painted lacquer finishes, available in Marbled Red, Green and Purple Metallic (link here, then click Bubinga Select in the middle of the...
  6. A

What properties produce the loudest snare?

I'm looking for someone to help me with what properties produce the loudest snare (or any drum, I suppose, but I'm thinking about snares here). I know the basics, that obviously the type of wood (or metal) you use will affect loudness, how thick the shell is etc. I guess I'm just looking for a...
  7. A

Sabian's Cymbal Vote

Don't think I've seen any discussion on this yet. It's Sabian's latest promotion kind of thing. The premise is that they have 12 prototype cymbals, and we the people vote for 4 of them to become part of Sabian's range next year. There are some interesting cymbals to listen to on the website (no...
  8. A

Best 7/4 since Money?

For me this is the best piece of music in 7/4 since Money - It's a song called 'Bubbles' by the Scottish band Biffy Clyro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIY1ZSZvAaM The 7/4 section starts at about 3:25 and lasts the rest of the song. I just think its great because it's catchy, and took me a...
  9. A

7", 9", 11", 17" Toms...

Do they exist? Has there ever been any in a 'non-custom' kit? Or a custom kit even?
  10. A

My bands EP - studio diary :)

Hello there, thank you for taking interest so far... This is my first real recording (i.e. outside of a bedroom studio) with my bands first EP. The tracks are veeeerrry close to a final mix, but for now we have the studio video - here Now we are just a bunch of 16/17 year olds. Our band has...
  11. A

Just ordered my 22" Omni!

Just ordered my Sabian Omni in today from my local music store. I've been waiting since NAMM for anywhere local to get one in, but no where has. I really didn't want to buy one without hearing one in person, but I think I realised after stalking youtube and the internet for hours every day for...
  12. A

Sabian UK rebate - get a free splash

http://www.sabianukrebate.com/ For those of you in the UK who haven't heard, if you purchased a 16"+ cymbal (or 13"+ hats) from Sabians AA, AAX, HH, or HHX or Vault ranges, you can get a free 10" AAX splash on this website if it was purchased from 16th may (until July 31st). I know someone...
  13. A

That Paiste gong...

:O http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS3_UDNEbG0&feature=channel_video_title
  14. A

Help: Best Crash/Ride as ONLY crash on kit?

Hey, I am looking for opinions on what is the best Crash/Ride cymbal to use as the only crash or ride on the kit, so the only other cymbals on my kit will be my hats. This means at points I will be leading with the crash, even when the vocalist is singing. You may disagree with this, but...
  15. A

How do you count 7/4?

So, how do you personally count when playing 7/4? Do you split it into subdivisions, 3-4, 4-3, 2-2-3? Is there a way it is 'supposed' to be counted? I find, unless there are specific accents, I like to count 1&2&3&4&5&6&7, using the sevens two syllables as the 7 and the and, se-ven. Talk away.
  16. A

Sabian Omni release date? (UK)

Does anyone have any information as to when it will be for sale in the UK? I've done a lot of googling since NAMM but only seen it for sale on mycymbal.com. I am interested as to what it will retail for initially too, and i want to try one out, so just wondering when I could be expecting to...
  17. A

Should I get a rack?

I am thinking of getting a Gibraltar curved rack, though I have never seen one IRL, only thin internet, my local music stores dont have any racks. You could argue I don't really have enough kit for a rack, but then personally I feel it would help the versatility of my set up, to help me have it...
  18. A

Superstar Hyperdrive Snow White Pearl

Got this absolute beaut a few months back, had the Xs20s for a while, just got a couple splashes too. Check her out : First specs quickly: Shells. Tama Superstar Hyperdrive EFX in Snow White Pearl - 13" x 6" Snare - 10" x 6.5" Rack Tom - 12" x 7" Rack Tom - 16" x 14" Floor Tom - 22" x 20"...
  19. A

10" and 11" splash - too similar?

Hey, I am looking to buy a Sabian AAX 10" splash and a Sabian AAX X-plosion 11" splash. My question is do you think they will sound too similar being so closely sized? I tried them out today at my local music shop, but it was only comparing the 2 and i find that splashes tend to sound quite...