Search results

1. S

New kit and snare drum

Hi Everyone Thought I would post some pics of my new kit. The toms and bass drum are made by Highwood Drums, who are based in Yorkshire, England and the snare is made by S.J.C. custom drums of Massachusetts. The snare is "14 x "8, half and inch thick with a 42 strand snare wire and sounds like...
  2. S

New year, new snare

Just treated myself to this lovely thing. "14x"8 Acrylic snare by SJC. 42 strand snare, Black dot batter and Diplomat reso. I like it a lot!!!! Paul.
  3. S

A new wood snare.

Hi guys Visited the Manchester drum show in the U.K. a couple of weeks ago. Met Gareth from Highwood drums who made this oak stave snare drum. I bought it to round out my snare collection and thought it would compliment my Highwood birch kit, which was also made by Gareth. It does and I am...
  4. S

My new kit.

Hi Guys Thought you might like to see this. Just bought a custom build birch kit by an English company based in Yorkshire, called Highwood. The sizes ar "24x"20 kick, fitted with Remo Powerstroke 3 batter and Remo Ambassador reso. Toms are "14x"11, "16x"16 and "18x"16. Completed with my Ludwig...
  5. S

Pearl Crystal Beat.

Hi Folks Anybody here playing a Pearl Crystal Beat kit? Not the original models but the new one. I have ordered one which is due to be delivered sometime in January. Sizes are "24x"14 kick, "13x"9 hanging tom and "16x"15 and "18x"16 floor toms. Just interested to know what others may think...
  6. S

Would you buy this?

Hi I have the oppertunity to buy a Trick drum kit. All aluminium construction and Bonham sizes with the exception of the bass drum, which is ........."30x"18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am undecided. Any thoughts about running a drum of this size? Paul.
  7. S

New cymbal suite.....and yet!

Hi Folks Just bought a set of HHX Evolution cymbals. "14 hi hats, "20 ride, "16,"17 and "18 crashes. Gigged them a few times over Xmas period.....BUT....couldn't really get on with the "14 hats having traded in a set of "15 HHX Ex-cellerators for them. They sounged great live and...
  8. S

See something green?

Hi Folks Not posted on here for a while as some previous posts have received quite hostile comments. Anyhoo, thought you might like to see this. The drums are made by a British company called Forecast. The shells are seamless and are about 6mm thick. I think the bass drum is 10mm thick...
  9. S

Aubergine.

Hi Folks I found some tablets in a shop called "Aubergine Plus". Being curious I bought two and put them in a bucket of Evian water overnight and soaked an aubergine. This morning I was amazed at the result. Some kind of funky magic happening here I think. Paul
  10. S

A nice piece of pork

Hi Guys Picked this up last Sunday in Brixton London. Put new heads and wire on it, tuned it up and bingo! Theres just something about acrylic drums in general, and snares in particular, that really appeal to me. OH, it sounds fine as well. Paul.
  11. S

Hi Pearl!

Hi Drummers Just finished a weeks worth of studio work with a band called Twofers. They are a Deep Purple tribute band. When the work was finished they gave me a Pearl Sensitone Phosphor Bronze 14"x6.5" snare drum as a gift of thanks. I am delighted and very touched by this gesture. Oh, and the...
  12. S

Snare wire strands

Hi Drummers I have just bought a snare drum for a very reasonable sum of money. It is in sound shape but needs new heads and snare wire and a clean up. I am waiting for a 20 strand 14" puresound blaster to arrive but have just noticed that the original generic snare is a 24 strand. Do you think...
  13. S

My current cymbal suite.

Well another hot and sunny day and too much time on my hands. lol Why not take a pic of my current cymbal suite? All Sabian HHX. From top left, "9 Alu Bell,"10 Paragon splash,"15 X-celerator hi-hats, "16 Evolution crash,"17 Explosion crash, "18 Studio crash,"19 Explosion crash, "20 Explosion...
  14. S

My current cymbal suite.

Well another hot and sunny day and too much time on my hands. lol Why not take a pic of my current cymbal suite? All Sabian HHX. From top left, "9 Alu Bell,"10 Paragon splash,"15 X-celerator hi-hats, "16 Evolution crash,"17 Explosion crash, "18 Studio crash,"19 Explosion crash, "20 Explosion...
  15. S

Double to single.

Hi Guy's Just got back from a great time in the deep south of the USA. On the long flight home I decided to change the batter heads on my Saturn toms from Aquarian Super 2 to Classic Clears. I have Classic Clears as reso heads already. I really liked the Super 2's but what the hoo, they were due...
  16. S

Had to happen

Hi Guys Spent some time in the U.S.A. very recently and had a wonderful holiday. Visited the Ludwig factory in Monroe and I was very impressed with their hospitality and genuine pleasure in the work they do and the instruments produced there. I met Mark Williams of Ludwig who was charming and...
  17. S

Kirchoff acrylic snare

Hi Folks Just got this Kirchoff 13"x6.5" acrylic snare. The shell is spun and therefore seamless. I am very impressed. I have had acrylic snares before and found that although they look wonderful the sound is somewhat lacking. Not this sucker, I am blown away.Love the translucent black sparkle...
  18. S

Monday morning

Another Monday morning and time on my hands. What's a drummer to do? Sniff industrial strength airplane glue? Varnish the neighbours cat? Or take a kit out in to the garden and take a few pics? Of course, pics first then sniff glue and varnish the cat. lol Paul.
  19. S

Happy birthday to me.

Hi Drummers Bought a Pork Pie 13"x 7" brass patina snare as a birthday present to myself. Have spent some of the day putting new heads on, Aquarian Classic Clear reso and Aquarian Texture Coated batter. Also new brass snare wire. I am very pleased with it. It is a great addition to my...
  20. S

Ludwig Acrolite

Hi Drummers Got this sweet thing today. Luddy acrolite "14x"6.5. Looking forward to spending some time tuning it and then gigging it. Looks good with my Mapex Saturn too. I am such a lucky drummer-)) Paul