Search results

1. J

Taye Studio Maple

I've played just about every major brand except for Sonor. I've had to the best of my memory over 25 pro level kits, and right now I'm playing a Taye Pro-X that I've had for about 6 years. To date the Taye have been my favorite drums. Their build quality is way above their price point. Their...
  2. J

20x16 v 22x18 bass drum

I've had everything from 18 to 24 inch kicks. Right now I'm playing a 20x16, I really like the 16 inch depth in all kicks. I believe the 20 x 14 isn't deep enough to keep it firmly planted to the floor especially if you are going to mount a tom on it. I think you get too much tom wiggle from a...
  3. J

Asking your opinion.

Just wondering how you all feel about changing drum heads from one drum to another drum. I have a pretty good collection of drum heads. I've tried this set of heads on this set of drums but didn't like them and tried something else. Then maybe I sold that drum set and bought something else so I...
  4. J

A tip for guys with wraps

A friend and I were talking about detailing cars. I mentioned that I would like to find a good dressing for my convertable top. He turned me on to a product called 303. I bought a bottle and this stuff is awesome. I was reading the bottle and this stuff works great on all plastics. I even use it...
  5. J

Sorry I ever got rid of those.

I just happened to mention on another thread about a set of PDP CX's that I had and got rid of. Then I got to thinking about how many times I've read that some comment on so many other threads about drums that we have parted with only to regret it later. Just think about how much money we could...
  6. J

A little Gretsch drum trivia.

Today I got to play at a my home town community celebration. The sound crew had a drum set already set up to play. When I looked up I couldn't believe my eyes. There was a set of Gretsch drums that I had first played on back in the late 70's on the WWVA Jamboree in Wheeling,WV. For those who...
  7. J

My new drums.

Don't ask me why cause I don't know. I did not need or want another kit but these happened to catch my eye on fleabay. Most of you will remember the 1963 Ludwigs that I rescued and I swore that was my dream kit---------I'll never need another. ha. ha. But I saw these and really liked the sizes...
  8. J

Vintage drum owners

Forgive me if this seems like I should have already known this. But I'm restoring an older Ludwig kit. They were in pretty sad shape when I got them. Considering the condition of the drums, the first thing I did was remove the heads and check to see if they were still in round. Unbelievably they...
  9. J

Rescued part two.

Well after all that b.s. I got the pictures posted but somehow I managed to close the thread sorry. Obviously the first few pictures were the ones when I picked them up. They were really worse than the pictures show. The last few were how they look now. I still have a good bit of work to do...
  10. J

Rescued !!!

I know that this may get long but I know how most of you like details in stories like this. I'm playing in a new band and the bass player is playing a upright bass. I was asking him about it and he told me that he was doing some work for an elderly lady and found it in her basement in a bad...
  11. J

? for soundmen

Why would anybody do this? Please read the story. I was at a rather large outdoor festival a couple days ago with 5 bands. First of all there is only one large scale sound company in the area and they have all of the major festivals and concerts tied up. Now here is the problem, and this is not...
  12. J

20" kick - pedal height?

I'm getting my first 20 inch kick and I'm wondering about pedal height. I've also got a 24 kick, I've had 22" kicks and I just sold my 18"kick. I know the 22" & 24" are no problem, but on my 18" I needed a riser to get the pedal beater to strike the center of the head. On the 20's that I've seen...
  13. J

building a new kit

O.K., I just want to throw this out to you all. I've had about 25 kits now and finally I think I know what I want in a drum kit. My Gretsch Renown Rock kit 24,13,16 is just a little too big for what I need, my Gretsvh Cat Jazz is just a tad too small. So I'm thinking for me a 20x14, 12x9, 15x14...
  14. J

4 3/4 " port on a 18 inck kick?

I just recently bought a Gretsch Cat Jazz kit and really fell in love with the kit especially the 18 kick. I ported the original reso with a 4" hole and really liked the sound. Unfortunately I had an accident and broke the original reso. I ordered a replacement Aquarian Regulator. The catalog I...
  15. J

Gretsch Hammered Steel Snare

Has anyone ever played one of these? Or know anything about them ? It's 14 x 5. I'm really not one for metal snares but I'm thinking maybe being hand hammered with die cast hoops the sound might be tamed down some. Would like your opinions any way. I have two Gretsch kits, a Renown and a Cat...
  16. J

Supra,Acro or Ludwig copper ?

I'm looking for some opinions. I've decided that I would like to try a metal snare. I've done my research and pretty much made up my mind on one of the above snares. I'm looking for a nice dry sound, I play alot of country,rock and blues,so I really don't want something too overpowering like...
  17. J

Yamaha Recording Custom ?

I have a line on a used set of R/C's and I was wondering if some of you could help me. The set I'm looking at are white and they have the double lug i.e. not the long single lug. I was wondering if we might be able to date them roughly. I know the early Yamaha 9000 series had the double lug...
  18. J

bass drum 22x14 22x16 or 22x18?

I just bought a new to me set of Gretsch USA Customs. Sizes 13x9, 16x16 and 22x14. I haven't got them yet so I haven't got to hear them. It has been so long since I have had a 22x14 bass that I'm not sure how I will like it. So tell me the pros and cons of the 22x14 kick. For the last 8 years...
  19. J

Starclassic B/B or Mapex Saturn ?

I'm in the market for a new set and I have it narrowed down to these two. I haven't had the chance to hear the StarclassicB/B's and it doesn't look like I will be able to find a set around here local to listen to. I have heard the Saturns live. So what I was hoping for is that some of you who...
  20. J

HELP !!!!!! UPS claim.

I just bought a Gretsch Renown set from a person on you know what bay. They were packaged by UPS. Long story short. The bass drum was badly damaged. I mean a major crack. The 12 tom was inside the floor tom ,inside the bass drum which looks to have been dropped. It looks like the floor tom leg...