Search results

1. P

Made my own ghetto hole plates!

Thanks guys. Yeah, no idea who you are referencing Karl.
  2. P

Live BPM

The small increments don't bother me at all. No reason to even pay attention to them. Just look at the whole number. Lots of other stuff to pay attention to. .not sure why some are worried about the decimals?? As for playing with a tempo machine, I think they are great. It has solved several...
  3. P

BackBeater - Help please

The Live BPMis pretty cool. But . how does it work in a band setting?
  4. P

Made my own ghetto hole plates!

Here's what I did with my Mapex. I switched to a rack and wanted to cover the mount holes in the bass. So I bought some aluminum sheet metal, very thin. I then bought a Mapex vinyl decal. I cut the plate to fit the shape of the decal. Some cutting, some filing and some sanding ( maybe 10 minutes...
  5. P

Snare question, opinions ... . .

OK, I have come up with a few ideas and ones that are different than a plain large metal flake. What I will do, is paint and few spray outs , see how they look and hopefully pick one I like. I'll post what I do here. However, I just moved a car in the booth that I have been working on since...
  6. P

Either, it's all math. You need to read the link that was posted above. It will help you see the thickness. CB . . lacquer and motorcycle tanks is a bad combination :) Oh I've done it, never again though. That system is out. Nothing like dropping a little gas on your tank and watching your...
  7. P

Thanks. And a neat link to paint thickness!
  8. P

Here's an example. I Used to teach reading a Micrometer. To keep it interesting, we would measure the thickness of put own hair, from our head. After doing that for years and years , I certainly can guess the thickness of hair from looking at the color :) But the point is this . . the finest...
  9. P

You haven't sprayed much, or any automotive paint, and definitely not the procedure I am talking about here . . to think it won't add even a fraction of a mil :) It will add much more than that.
  10. P

Yes a couple of you understand the process I'm talking about, as far as flake goes. Those that don't paint or haven't seen it done don't understand how difficult and the amount of steps it takes to accomplish this. That is why the manufacturers use a wrap on flake drums. More back ground . .my...
  11. P

OK, if a wrapped drum doesn't sound much different than a non wrap . .then I see your point. Thanks
  12. P

Thanks. But true, a 6.5mm will sound different than a 10mm ply? When I'm talking spraying metalflake, then clear, we aren't talking a thin layer of paint, in relative terms. As far as paint goes, this will be a think coating. I will be adding a couple mm, I'm sure.
  13. P

Thanks for chiming in. I want the snare to be complimentary to the Honey Amber. As a natural, it's not a horrible match, but I want something that is "orange" in some way. I'm not big on wraps, but I can do a metalflake that looks like a wrap, but is real paint. I could do it orange, maybe a...
  14. P

I played with the new snare and definitely have some observations. This is the first 10 lug snare I have owned . . . like it. Just tuning the drum, you can tell the advantages. Thumbs up. Secondly, I like the pop of the maple snare. It's loud, definitely will have to adjust my hitting . .again...
  15. P

I have a Mapex Meredian Birch set that I really like. However, I decided to play with some snare sounds, mods. I picked up a 10 lug, maple Mapex snare really cheap. I had thought about building a snare from scratch ( buy a shell )but when I saw this one, I couldn't pass it up. However, it's not...
  16. P

What do you use for music . .

when practicing. Do you use normal recording and EQ out the percussion as much as you can? Or get music sans percussion??
  17. P

Rack identification question

New guy here. I was hoping someone might be able to identify a rack I have. It is at least 20-25 years old. I used it for my electronic kit that I played out with. I have added clamps and usually bought Gibraltar. But I'm getting a new acoustic set, since I no longer play out ( dragging acoustic...