Recent content by TWerner

1. T

Christmas present pondering

So I considered putting this in the cymbal section, because that's what I'm leaning towards, but decided to post here since maybe someone has a better idea. My son is playing a 5 piece kit 2 up, 1 down toms. Has a ride mounted on the bass with the two toms to the left of that. He plays open...
  2. T

How do you first start learning fills?

Hi Guys, To avoid any advanced advice, my son turns 12 next month. He played a drum pad 10 months, then got a full set about a year ago. He takes lessons and is working on rudimental solos, some simple independence exercises from syncopation or stick control (can't remember which), Tommy...
  3. T

Amazing tone difference with X-10 sticks

So I'm not a drummer, my son is, but I pay for most of the gear since he's 11. He cracked a tip on his Vic Firth Weckl's playing closed hi-hats, so I ordered some new sticks on Amazon. Saw some Aquarian X-10 graphite sticks for under $10, and figured why not, maybe they'll last forever. I...
  4. T

Deal sighting Gibraltar Stealth

Is there a deal sighting thread on this board? This is from Greenbrier in Virginia: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400479953390?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 We don't need any more stuff, but I was tempted to bid just to save it for a stave kit I plan to build for my son. Decided...
  5. T

Snare Hum, not buzz

So I wanted to tweak the tuning on my son's snare a little to decrease what I though was sympathetic snare buzz. To a degree, what I was hearing was sympathetic buzz, but there is also an odd hum or harmonic. If I turn the drum over than tap on the brass plate metal ends of the snare wire with...
  6. T

What do you think of Cow Mats for Soundproofing?

We're getting closer to breaking ground on a new home, so I've been thinking a bit about soundproofing. In the room I'm concerned with, the floor is the most important thing to soundproof, and looking at the prices of underlayment, they seem like a rip off. So I thought I'd run the idea of...
  7. T

Impossible Germany to Some Nights?

So my 11 year old son is currently working on playing along with Impossible Germany by Wilco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I79m7_kAnA and seems to have no problems with it. I think it's a pretty cool song for a beginner. Some Nights by Fun on the other hand doesn't sound like a song for...
  8. T

The Birthday Project is done

This is my son's 11th Birthday present. He didn't ask for anything like this, but he did play on a pad for almost a year before he even mentioned he'd like drums, so we got him a drum set for his birthday. I build the combination Lego table and framed drum area to try and make the most of the...
  9. T

Tama Starclassic Snare Bed and Die Cast Hoops: Design flaw?

So I was having some trouble with Snare Buzz and an odd ringing from my son's new Starclassic snare after I tune it, and decided to wax the reso side edges and re-seat the head. While I had it off, I decided to take a look to see what shape the snare beds were. The counter is not perfectly...
  10. T

Two versions of Gibraltar 9606 snare stand?

Hi, Does anyone know why there seem to be 2 versions of the 9606 snare stand...
  11. T

Setting up just 2 of the toms. Which ones?

I bought my son a drum kit. He played on just a pad for 9 months and then a Hi-Hat/side snare/bass drum pad for 2 or 3 months. He's small, so I wanted a set with a 20" bass, but got a super deal on a set with a 22" bass. Thing is, it has 8x10, 9x12, 12x14FT, and 14x16FT. I don't want to have...
  12. T

Vintage 60's Paste 20" medium sizzle cymbal

So I've been shopping for my 10 year old son's first drum set. I ordered a Sonor set for him, and got some new beats used on ebay that seem nice. Then I found a guy with a 6 month old AAX Stage Ride for $100 and bought it. It was in beautiful shape, so I figured why not, but when we tried it...
  13. T

tuning a 12" snare

Hi Everyone, I bought my son a 12" Gretch side snare to play for a while until we give him a full drum set for his birthday in a few months. Out of the box, it sounded awful! So I watched Bob Gatzen's you tube video where he tunes what looks like a 14" snare, and followed along, tuning the...
  14. T

Question on a first set for a 10 y/o

My son has been learning on a drum pad for about 9 months now. He is doing well and still enjoying lessons, but it is getting a little boring for him. Even so, he practices 5 days a week on the pad and still plays piano 3 or so times a week despite the fact that piano lessons stopped during...