Recent content by toonamike

1. toonamike

Ludwig Experts: Ludwig Classic Maple Opinions

The bass drum claws are "die cast" models, not the standard "new classic" claws. I'm guessing -- and it's totally a guess -- that what you have is from between 2005 and 2010. Take a look at Ludwig's site, specifically the 100th anniversary catalog. Literature > Historical
  2. toonamike

Using Ludwig's Custom Order Guide

Yep. Some of the wraps are pretty pricey. I met the painter when I toured the Monroe plant. He can do some amazing stuff.
  3. toonamike

Silent stroke heads or ekit.

I had a Yamaha DTX kit for a few years. While it was fun to play, I don't think it did much for my chops. It just felt unnatural. I have Silent Stroke heads and L80s on my Ludwig Classic Maple kit and I enjoy playing much more on that setup. The cymbals are actually quite good. I seem to want...
  4. toonamike

Correct. I didn't realize this had become a DW thread. 🤣 You didn't quote the DW message, so I assumed that you were referring to Ludwig's quick pick options as "frequent fliers." Honest mistake. Carry on.
  5. toonamike

Do you mean the "quick pick program"? Those are Classic Maple drums. The limited finishes are simply the most popular finishes, the ones Ludwig keep in stock in quantity. The quick pick drums are already cut to size and ready for covering. My Classic Maple is covered in turquoise glitter...
  6. toonamike

Anyone Else Get the New Ludwig Jazz Fest Snare?

I didn't pull the head yet to see if it is ruined. I've reached out to my SW sales engineer; I'm sure he will get back to me Monday. I was able to find a Facebook post with someone unboxing a new Jazz Fest. His had all of the standard packaging, including the Ludwig box and cardboard shipping...
  7. toonamike

Anyone Else Get the New Ludwig Jazz Fest Snare?

I just received one of Ludwig's new Jazz Fest snares in vintage black oyster. I'm looking for others who have the same drum. Mine was oddly packaged. I ordered it from Sweetwater, so it's from a reputable source. However, it did not arrive in a Ludwig box. Rather, it was in a plain cardboard...
  8. toonamike

If you are referring to the custom order guide price, the price shown is FULL RETAIL. You will pay about 60% of the configurator's price.
  9. toonamike

Your 60% figure is what I have experienced too. The street price is about 60% of what the custom order guide calculates.
  10. toonamike

Ludwig doesn't do much to advertise its Custom Order Guide, which is a macro-enabled Excel spreadsheet. Because I'm a big nerd, I made a video that demonstrates how the spreadsheet works. You can check it out at
  11. toonamike

What’s the “Supra” of Piccolos?

Ludwig has made Black Beauties in piccolo size (3" x 13") from time to time. I had a late 1980s Tama Artwood 8-ply maple piccolo. It had die-cast hoops. That thing sounded amazing. I have a Ludwig Classic Maple piccolo (3.5" x 13") on order. I should have it in two weeks.
  12. toonamike

Ludwig classic maple question..

I bought a Classic Maple shell pack from Sweetwater when SW was offering a free CM snare. Because I bought the shell pack from SW, I asked my sales engineer to quote the three additional drums I wanted. I had the price the next day (four days faster than the local shops) and it was lower than...
  13. toonamike

I will add that Ludwig can also do lacquered finishes that aren't shown on the website. When I visited the factory in November 2018, I met the painter. We talked about finishes for the high school drumline I instruct. The painter told me that I could send a uniform to Monroe and he would match...
  14. toonamike

Yes, you can order lacquered finishes. I don't see those too often in stores, aside from a mahogany stain. The wraps you normally see are ones that Ludwig has been making for years -- green sparkle, red sparkle, silver sparkle, black oyster pearl -- because those are "classic" looks. Plus, it's...
  15. toonamike

Thoughts on these Ludwig snare drums

Check out these basement finds. They appear to be Ludwigs. Are they worth anything? They appear to be in good condition.