Recent content by ssdaven

1. ssdaven

Drummers writing full songs using Guitar Pro?

Hey everyone, I've got a pretty unrealistic goal of one day writing a song in full, including guitar parts and maybe some keyboard, etc. I'm curious if anyone's got experience doing this - specifically I'm curious about using software to do the guitar parts. I've learned a little about Guitar...
  2. ssdaven

Problem when using Reaper with Addictive Drums

Hi everyone, Apologies if this has been posted before - I tried using the search function but it returned a lot of seemingly unrelated results (which I still looked at, and couldn't find this specific problem discussed). I own a Roland TD-4 set that I hook up to my laptop, which is running...
  3. ssdaven

Transitioning from e-kit cymbals to the real deal.

So I've been playing Roland V Drums for a while now and recently bought a Sabian AAX Performance Set (hats, crash and ride) to supplement my kit, as I'll ideally be playing accoustic eventually when I move out of my apartment. And playing these new hats = learning all over again..I'm finding I...
  4. ssdaven

Finger control with german grip?

So it appears I'm at a major crossroads in my drumming journey, and as I've done in the past when facing decisions like this, I'm turning to you all for your insight. All thoughts welcomed, and appreciated =) I've been playing for 7 months now (taking lessons for 1 month) and I've become...
  5. ssdaven

Tommy Igoe's "groove essentials" poster?

Hi All, I'm watching Tommy Igoes DVD "Groove Essentials" DVD right now, and he keeps mentioning a groove essentials poster. The poster seems important, and something I should know about. So, I've turned to you, the DrummerWorld community for insight.. is this poster something I could ask for at...
  6. ssdaven

How am I doing? (video enclosed - 7 months playing)

Hi Drummer World dwellers :D I've gained a lot from this community over the past 7 months or so. I thank you all for your help and insight on my journey of drumming! It's been a complete blast so far! I wanted to provide a video of my playing in hopes that other new drummers visiting this...
  7. ssdaven

Best way to prepare for taking lessons?

Hi everyone, I've been playing on my own without too much direction for the past 5 months or so, and next week I'm beginning my first lessons. I've seen myself progress a ton in the past 5 months; going back and listening to recordings really shows this, and I just feel like things I couldn't...
  8. ssdaven

Roland V Drums: MIDI Tutorial?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if any one could point me towards a good resource for understanding how MIDI works in relation to my Roland V-Drums. At the very basic level, my question is as follows: I was visiting the Toontrack website (www.toontrack.com) and found a section entitled 'MIDI...
  9. ssdaven

Learning to play on time - Here's what I'm doing..

So the obvious answer to the question "How do I learn to play drums with correct timing?" is easy - use a metronome or count. That's the answer I got. What wasn't obvious to me is how to determine what BPM to set your metronome to when practising a particular song. What I'm doing to figure it...
  10. ssdaven

Any one else have this problem with Roland cymbals?

Hi all, So I've got a consistent problem with the cymbals on my Roland TD4KX. As any Roland owners know, the cymbals (crash or ride) have multiple zones that trigger different noises. For example, if you hit the edge of the cymbal it's an edge shot. If you hit a section other than the outer...
  11. ssdaven

Recording Roland V-Drums.

Hey all, I'll keep this simple and to the point.. I've been playing on a Roland TD4KX (the one with all mesh heads) for 4 months now and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. What I'd like to do, is to record the tracks I'm playing in file format on my PC (I'm not too concerned about the format for...
  12. ssdaven

Very discouraged after first drum lesson :(

Hi everyone, I've had a few discussions as well as read ones held by others here, and I've always admired a lot of the people who offer great advice and the general kindness of the people here. This post is just something I guess I want to get off my chest. I've been playing V-Drums for about...
  13. ssdaven

How important is your left foot / leg?

Hi everyone, Well, I'm on the cusp of pursuing drum lessons and purchasing a kit of my own. I live in in apartment and I can only have an e-kit, so I'm thinking of picking up a Roland TD4. I've rented a TD3 for the last 2 months and had great fun with it, and managed to teach myself some...
  14. ssdaven

Grip tips for a new drummer.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to first say a thank you to the people who run this site and also to the great members of the community that make it such a great place to come for drumming knowledge and insight =) I have visited this site often, however this is my first time posting here in the...