Recent content by retoxtony

1. retoxtony

Mapex or Gretsch?

Neither are going to be great kits. I have zero experience with the Mapex kit but I have spent quite a bit of time playing on a set of Gretsch Energy’s. In my last band the singers son had a set so when we rehearsed I used them. I put on some better heads (can’t remember what exactly) and I got...
  2. retoxtony

Frustrated Yamaha Live Custom Owner

Gonna be tough to find an oddball size like that but reverb is probably gonna be your best bet. I’ve been looking for an 8” tom and a matching snare for my Amber shadow Live Customs and haven’t had much luck. I also bought mine once they were already discontinued so I knew finding any add ons...
  3. retoxtony

What's your latest purchase?

I’ve been trying to not buy any new drum gear lately but I made a few good purchases in the last 2 weeks. I ended up getting myself a used 6.5x14 Dunnett Titanium snare for $500 Canadian. That’s about $390 USD so it was a hard deal to pass up. So far I’m happy with it but I still prefer my old...
  4. retoxtony

Will deep bass drums ever make a comeback?

I think deeper bass drums are already starting to go away and I’m ok with that. I’m finding more kits being offered with a 22x16 than a few years ago. I’ve always preferred a 22x16 over the deeper drums even though I do currently have 2 kits with a 22x18. For gigging I really prefer my 22x16...
  5. retoxtony

What y’all think about this set?

I’d stay away from the Sabian B8s. While there are some cymbals using B8 material that are great sounding (paiste 2002 or giant beats come to mind) the low end Sabian are pretty awful sounding. I started out with Sabian B8 and they were gone as soon as I started gigging. Also, the resale on them...
  6. retoxtony

Factory Yamaha Heads- what are they?

So I got my my set of Yamaha Live Oaks yesterday and they came with heads marked Yamaha BE Batter as the batter heads and the reso heads are marked as Yamaha Batter ( no BE batter on these ones). They are all marked as made by Remo. The bass drum batter head is also marked as a Yamaha Batter...
  7. retoxtony

16" bass drum - what heads to use?

So i wanted a little kick for a jungle kit so i made a small bass drum out of a 16" foor tom i had kicking around. Its a 16" Pearl Masters maple that sounded great as a floor tom but i'm not digging the sound as a bass drum. It also feels really weird and bouncy against the bass drum beater...
  8. retoxtony

Floor tom to bass drum conversions

Anyone use one of the bass drum conversion kits to turn a floor tom into a small bass drum? And how well did it work? I've been kickin around the idea of making a small jungle kit and it just so happens i have a 16" Pearl Masters floor tom sitting here that i got for very cheap on Ebay. I know...
  9. retoxtony

Rogers Dyna-sonic Reissue

Has anyone seen one of these in person or played one yet? I keep seeing them pop up on Reverb and a few online music stores, but i'm yet to see them in person. Price tag is a little on the steep side, but still tempting as i've always wanted a wood Dyna and the original wood ones are way out of...
  10. retoxtony

C&C Gladstones--Anyone played them?

I'm considering a new set some time in the next few months and i've become interested in a set from C&C. From what i've read the Gladstones are supposed to be their "modern" sounding drums. Considering i've never played a set of C&C drums, or even seen a set in a music store anywhere i've been...
  11. retoxtony

Ipad/tablet mount--What are you using?

So my band is starting to use the Bandhelper app for our set lists and lyrics. I've been trying to figure out the best place to mount my ipad so its easily visible and easily in reach. I was thinking either mount it off my high hat stand or on the bass drum hoop right in front of me. Any...
  12. retoxtony

Pearl Roadshow vs other small kits (for a kid to learn on)

Looking for some advice or your thoughts. I'm trying to get my kid a small set to learn on and i'm having a bit of trouble deciding which route to go. So far the best deal on a new "real" drumset i can find is a Pearl Roadshow in a jazz setup. 18" BD, 10,14 toms and comes with a hardware pack...
  13. retoxtony

Anyone playing an Inde snare?

I've had the itch to pick up another snare as a Bday gift to myself and I was considering a Inde. I don't currently have any wood snares in a 6.5x14 and the Inde one looks like it might be a decent buy especially considering the price. So does anyone have any first hand experience with them...
  14. retoxtony

Going rate for bar gigs?

Just wondering what the going rate is for a full band to play a bar? I got into a pretty heated discussion earlier today with our singer about going rates for a bar. We were asked to play in our local bar in a few weeks and they asked what we would like to charge. I've never played a bar gig...
  15. retoxtony

Question about Giant Beats

Ive been kicking around the idea of picking up some Giant Beats, specifically the 24 inch ride and maybe a 20" as well. I've been watching some online ads (eBay, reverb, etc) and I keep coming across ads that call some of them Multi Cymbals. So my question is, is there any difference between a...