Recent content by ottog1979

1. ottog1979

Whatcha Reading Right Now?

This thread is awesome! Been meaning to and finally spent the 30 minutes to go through it. Bought 4 books so far and wish-listed a fifth. Here's my contribution and seemingly a little outside the interest topics so far. Bad Blood by John Carreyrou...
  2. ottog1979

drummers who can't read music notation

THIS.
  3. ottog1979

Click Tracks survey

Click, generally quarter notes, sometimes 8ths. I use one of two "more gentle" click sounds on my Tama Rhythm Watch metronome (the higher tone was too piercing at volume I needed and was fatiguing). Stuck with that until I decide to move on to something that would give me more variation on...
  4. ottog1979

what other hobbies, interests do you have?

Outdoor sports activities: Running/hiking, wakeboarding/boating, snowboarding, mountain biking. I'm not all that young but I act like it anyway...
  5. ottog1979

How do you move your hardware (to gigs)?

In the case of hardware (vs. drums - soft bags), I'm a hard case guy: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SKBDH3315W--skb-drum-hardware-case-with-wheels-33-inch-by-15-inch Indestructible, lifetime warranty, rolling wheels & handle.
  6. ottog1979

Turning off a click when song slows at the end

This is one reason I still use a physical metronome (Tama Rhythm Watch) mounted to my high hat within easy reach. I can stop/start the click any time with the same ease as choking a cymbal - the on/off pad is just right there. I play a few songs with out-of-tempo guitar intros or pauses and...
  7. ottog1979

Band struggles

YES.
  8. ottog1979

Seeking drum sheet music for The Black Crowes song "Remedy"

Just listen, chart yourself & play? Just saying out loud an obvious alternative.
  9. ottog1979

Pic of yourself

An updated one for me. My favorite pic from last year.
  10. ottog1979

I don’t understand you bag people.

One other helpful hint that really works for me with bags. Use your bass drum as a "table" for bagging the smaller drums. I "nest" all my bags (Russian doll style) when they're not in use. When packing up, I'll turn the bass drum to one head-side down, place the nested bags on top and start...
  11. ottog1979

I don’t understand you bag people.

Bass drum bags: Don't put the drum in the bag, instead put the bag on the drum. I put the bass drum head side down then slide the bag over it. Then turn it upside down and zip the top/cover.
  12. ottog1979

How long should (or can) I soak hardware in cleaning solution?

I use this with a toothbrush and micro towels. No soaking for me...
  13. ottog1979

What's your favorite thing about being a drummer?

Making people dance. Favorite quote I heard/read somewhere recently: "No one's dancing to chord changes!"
  14. ottog1979

Is your gig pedal and practice pedal the same?

All the same. DW5000's - 4 of them, two double pedals (one for gigging, one for practice) & two single pedals (one for practice set in lockout studio, one extra at home).
Back