Recent content by Mike Stand

1. Mike Stand

Another music-on-the-internet-thingy thread

Disclaimer: this is no advertisement for the BBC website which I find often severely lacking in journalistic quality. Nonetheless, I thought that this link might be of interest (wouldn't be the first time that the internet/music topic crops up here, but please, no fights)...
  2. Mike Stand

Silentstroke heads on cheap junior kit?

Hi all, It's only a typical cheap junior kit in small sizes so the sound projection is modest to start with. The Silentstroke heads are meant to cut volume by about 80% so I reckon that will be good enough to let my son play the kit in my apartment. What I'm worried about is the durability of...
  3. Mike Stand

Sharing stuff here makes me forget...

I have seen posts pertaining to politics and religion in this thread. No problem... it's water off a duck's back. But this I cannot accept. If you are going to post links to Vodka, please let it be something authentic and worthy of our great forum members...
  4. Mike Stand

How many travelling pro drummers have kids?

Actually, my question isn't really about how many kids each big-name pro drummer has. But this is the intial thought that made me think of the lifestyle of drummers (and other musicians) whoses careers require them to be journey-men, in other words away from "home" most of the time. We all...
  5. Mike Stand

... he certainly did do it "his way"...

and if anyone can tell me how far up this guy's left side crash is, I sure am curious... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9kPfelTEds
  6. Mike Stand

How easily can a beater break a single-ply bassdrum head?

I did this once a long time ago. If I recall, the shape of the beater might have been part of the problem. Since then I have always added a patch to the head, like Remo's Falam patch or a lighter, thinner Evans equivalent. However, with my current bassdrum I prefer the sound without the patch...
  7. Mike Stand

matching vintage Avedis cymbals with modern cymbals?

Hi all, I have often thought of buying an old vintage Avedis ride, there's always a handful available round here, sometimes at very attractive prices. But I always have this apprehension that no matter how nice a vintage Avedis might be, it will not fit in with my newer cymbals. My current...
  8. Mike Stand

Can a large bassdrum cause an earthquake?

I'm just asking because, upon acquiring a new piece of hardware, the good folks at Yamaha included a nice big document containing various warnings like this one: "Stay away from the drumset if an earthquake occurs." But what do you do if you are the cause of the earthquake? Are there any...
  9. Mike Stand

Danmar Felt Beater vs Gobraltar Beater vs Yamaha Beater

I'm considering getting a Danmar beater to replace my standard Yamaha felt beater, but maybe the Yamaha is already close enough to the Danmar? Anyway, found these two beaters that appear very similar, so what's the difference? One is listed as Danmar beater 206, the other is listed as Gibraltar...
  10. Mike Stand

Fiberskyn or Calftone for bassdrum reso?

hi all, I have previously had a head combination that I really like on the bassdrum: Remo Coated Powerstroke batter + Remo Fiberskyn FD reso head Thinking of trying out the Evans Calftone on the reso side as it gets good reviews. What concerns me is that the Calftone bassdrum heads are a...
  11. Mike Stand

Gretsch Catalina Club still the same?

Hi folks, first post in a long while. Got distracted by an unpleasant phase in life... Anyway, hoping that I'll be able to get back to the important things now: nuts and bolts, shells and heads, and all things that go crash, boom, bang! Just wanted to know if the Gretsch Catalina Club is...
  12. Mike Stand

DW5000 maintenance

Hi all, I've got an older DW5000 pedal with a single chain. It's been quite sturdy and reliable but it's starting to show it's age. The floor plate is slightly warped/bent at one end. Not by much, it's not a problem when placed on carpeting but noticeable when placed on a smooth flat surface...
  13. Mike Stand

Sabian 21" HH Vintage Ride

Hi all, surprised not to find any discussions about this cymbal. There's one going second hand at a good price here but I won't be able to try it out before buying. So, any impressions?
  14. Mike Stand

Anyone know about this online seller?

Hi all, Just had a tip off about what appears to be a very interesting online retailer (interesting for European drummers that is). I just looked at the prices of cymbals and they're about a third lower than the average price elsewhere. Obviously this makes me a bit suspicious. Anyone had any...
  15. Mike Stand

Deformed cymbal edge, a problem?

And since I haven't posted for about 10 months, I'll try and make up with my second post of the day. Just bought a second hand K Constantinople Medium Thin Low 20". Good overall condition but the edge is clearly deformed compared to what I would expect from a Zildjian Cymbal. The edge is kind...