Recent content by dboomer

1. dboomer

Timbre notes on my DW's..

Off topic for this thread, but I believe there is. And it has to do mainly with shell depth. The frequency that isa 1/4 wavelength of the shell depth will cancel itself out (at least in one mode of shell vibration). So if you tune to where that actual frequency is sounded it will subtract itself...
  2. dboomer

Building a small PVC soundproof booth with duvets

The video is about sound absorption not soundproofing. Big difference! Check this one ... two layers of 5/8 sheetrock, floating with green glue
  3. dboomer

Building a small PVC soundproof booth with duvets

To find out, lay your blanket and eggcrate foam over a hifi speaker. That will show you how much reduction you’ll get(not much in my book). But if you are happy with that then build your box.
  4. dboomer

INDe Drums

Yes but they cut the wrap way back from the edges so even the hoop doesn't always completely cover it. Make that number 4 😁
  5. dboomer

INDe Drums

My kit was a 2014
  6. dboomer

INDe Drums

Yes, you are seeing stock DW hardware. Josh will do custom stuff (at good prices too). Compared to my USA Custom? Number one, the build quality is much better, the cost and the weight are half. Sound quality, wonderful and you don’t need special sized heads like are required for using Gretsch.
  7. dboomer

Plexiglass - but a little different.

Back in the old days we used to use the plexi shields behind us to project the drum kit out to the audience.
  8. dboomer

Tuning to the room

It starts getting complicated when you also figure in absorption and eigentones (multi axial reflections). There are so many things in play. It is easy for rooms to suck up higher frequencies but much more difficult for low frequencies. If you had a lid then you had reflections. It catches me...
  9. dboomer

Tuning to the room

Probably what you are referring to is standing waves within a room (doesn't happen outdoors). Rooms are at the mercy of their shortest dimension (usually ceiling height). Depending on dimensions and frequency(especially), nodes (dead spots) are produced where no or very little sound is...
  10. dboomer

INDe Drums

I’ve had this kit for about 2 months now. So far it is everything I expect from a premium kit. I opted for the satin finish as the resoarmor adds about 50% to the price and I carry my own kits these days so I’m not worried about it getting beat up. Josh was easy to work with and he built me some...
  11. dboomer

Jazz to some people...

Don’t feel bad ... most people don’t get it. In many ways it's like listening to 2 people speaking in a foreign language. If you don’t understand the language it’s just noise. I would suggest a good way to learn to listen to it is to listen to songs where you absolutely know the melody (head)...
  12. dboomer

LED stage lighting

LED lighting is quickly becoming the new norm. But be aware it can cause havoc to any wireless mics you are using. https://www.rfvenue.com/blog/led-lighting-may-be-lights-out-for-your-wireless-mics
  13. dboomer

Has anyone -------

I guess you could be “feeling” it. But do you really think you are “hearing” it from a youtube video that has been digitized, processed through a codec and compressed? 😁😁😁
  14. dboomer

Wrapping with wood veneer??

Actually it is quite a bit different in my opinion. Laminating to a cylinder requires the use of pressure rollers because of the nature of wood. Wood has what are called compressive strength properties because of the grain that a continuous plastic wrap is not bothered by. So to properly glue it...
  15. dboomer

The Problem with Vertical/ Mag Snare Throws

There is a mechanical component at play here. The wider the actual point of contact to the strap (or wires) the flatter the snares will lie against the head.