Recent content by Coldhardsteel

1. Coldhardsteel

Vic Kick Beaters

Hey y'all, My birthday's coming around in a few weeks and my folks asked what I wanted as a present. This semester is my first once taking jazz combo at my university, and I wanna start using my Pearl Eliminator for my practice and performance. However, the stock eliminator beaters have really...
  2. Coldhardsteel

Theater Pit Kits

Hey all! Today was the last day of shows my old high school did of West Side Story, and frankly the production was awesome and everyone loved the performance, and it was a lot of fun being my first experience being in any sort of pit set up. That being said, Bernstein's music can be above some...
  3. Coldhardsteel

Brushes Sources

Hey all, been a while - I'm drawing a blank on who is known for their brush work. I've been preparing Softly as in a Morning Sunrise with Sonny Rollins and Elvin Jones, and Jones is freakin' awesome, but I don't really know that many other tunes or names. Yes, I've done the cursory searches...
  4. Coldhardsteel

Experience with Felt Beaters

Hey drummers, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Pearl Demon Drive Control Core beaters (or any other particularly nice round felt beater). I've been surviving on the hard felt Quad beater that comes with the Eliminator, and I can get a good sound with it, but when I need more...
  5. Coldhardsteel

Books on Latin Rhythm

I've recently been learning more and more about the basics of playing latin styles on the drum set, a subject that I've been grossly undereducated on throughout my musical life. So far, I find it a lot of fun particularly from a technical point of view - limb independence is an awesome skill to...
  6. Coldhardsteel

Sing, Sing, Sing

So I was learning how to play a mambo today. I put the ride pattern on a swung triplet and lo and behold, it sounded like Gene Krupa's opening beat in Sing, Sing, Sing. Needless to say, my mind was blown. Let's make this a musical mind-blowing thread.
  7. Coldhardsteel

Why are they Called Jazz Cats?

Just an honest question. We don't say 'rocker bears' or 'fusion lemurs'.
  8. Coldhardsteel

Rudimental Masterthread

Hey Guys and Gals. I thought that with all of the questions and new posts that are asked and made here about rudiments that I'd make this thread. I'm sure that at least once you've heard or said this in the technique section while talking about rudiments: And it's true. We don't need...
  9. Coldhardsteel

Signed up!

Just wanted to let people know I've just signed up for my first lesson series ever, with Marty Knepp! I'm pretty excited. He described his teaching style and it sounds really cool and laid-back. He suggested I get Stick Control as well, which I'm downloading as I'm typing this. The progress is...
  10. Coldhardsteel

Sound Quality

This is the first thread I've posted in a long while. I hope it garners some attention. A lot of percussionists I've been learning from mention quality of sound only when the group is getting to those finer points of playing drums. I feel like that does not do the subject justice. However, I am...
  11. Coldhardsteel

Sharp and Dull Crashes

A while back I noticed something when playing a passage with a bunch of crashes. The point on the stick that meets with the edge of the cymbal correlates to a particular response you get from the instrument. So far I think it has to do with how the stick moves and vibrates relative to the...
  12. Coldhardsteel

My Problems with Housing and Marching

I don't expect this thread to yield much advice, since it's kind of a tricky situation, but I thought I'd post about it anyway since there's quite the wise group here. After working hard and waiting a long time to actually make an audition and the ensemble with it, I finally got into a drumline...
  13. Coldhardsteel

Advice for Using Brushes

This saturday is actually my first ever paying gig! I'm confident about my playing in this situation despite the fact that I only have one more out of two rehearsals on thursday, mostly because I have a pretty good chemistry with the piano player/director and my sight reading was good last week...
  14. Coldhardsteel

Beats that are Appreciated More than Others

Something that I've noticed as time goes by in 20th and 21st century music is that the later the tune, the more prevalent the drums are in the mix. Dance music is almost entirely drums, whereas pop from the 60's and earlier have very mellow, dark, or soft drum parts. In today's context, these...
  15. Coldhardsteel

First Lesson in a While!

Recently a friend of mine approached me for lessons to give his younger brother, who's interested in learning how to play drum set. I've met the boy before and he's an eager kid, so I'm interested to see how his first lesson today will work out! I've decided to start with how to approach a drum...