Recent content by Clayton_C

1. Clayton_C

Attempt at East African Style

Here's my attempt at playing some East African, reggae-influenced grooves and eventually soloing over that feel. Hopefully this will get better because I am moving to Kenya in 2 days, and I'll be able to study with some guys there. I REALLY want criticism on this thing. Tear me apart. Let me be...
  2. Clayton_C

Anyone know the Brecker Album?

Hey all, I am looking for an album with the group seen in this video: http://drummerworld.com/Videos/billstewartbreckermetheny1.html We've got Metheny on guitar, Brecker on sax, Bill Stewart on the set, and it sounds like Larry Goldings to me since he usually plays in those circles, but I don't...
  3. Clayton_C

Some Jazz, Rock, and DnB

Hey guys, I was able to use a friend's mic and recording setup today, so I recorded some stuff that I desperately want feedback on. The first piece linked is a 9-minute jazz solo with a ton of (attempted) polyrhythms and some chops in the middle-ish. It's pretty long but I think it develops...
  4. Clayton_C

Picking Up Music in Kenya

Hey all, So in a month or two (details are fuzzy), I will be dropping everything and moving to Nairobi, Kenya to aid in some Christian missionary work there. I went through a phase of thinking, "well, I'll just drop drumming altogether, it won't come in handy," but now after a week or so I'm...
  5. Clayton_C

Single Kick Pedal Questions

Okay, I've been working my butt off to get some killer hands, and the practice time is starting to pay off. But I'm afraid that in my refusal to entertain the double-pedal craze, I have almost completely ignored my right foot. I'm mostly a jazz player, but the crazy Jojo Mayer single-foot...
  6. Clayton_C

Looking for Particular Piece

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of a way to find sheet music (ALL parts, not just drums) for this Erskine tune: "Pesos?" (http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/playalong/erskine.html) I'm playing with my combo and while searching for latin and bop tunes, we are also "in the...
  7. Clayton_C

Fresh Out Of The Studio

Hey all, just finished recording a jazz audition tape / christmas gift for distant relatives, dubbed "Clayton Chancey and Friends: Standards." Only five tracks. Below are the links for all 5, although I think you'll find the first one the most interesting, as we definitely had the most fun...
  8. Clayton_C

Recording Session Costs?

Hey all, I'm a high school senior, and in the course of finding music colleges to go to and setting up auditions, I stumbled across the Dave Brubeck Institue Fellowship, a program where five jazzers (i believe only 17-19 year olds) are auditioned for a quintet, and the audition process - at...
  9. Clayton_C

Live Jazz Soloing

Hey all, been lurking and posting a few things around here for more or less a month... got 2 live recordings on the way, one with my combo and one with my school big band. Anyways my quartet just played at the local jazz workshop and I got some vids of my drum solo in our medley of Ellington's...
  10. Clayton_C

Sonor Force 3005 with new cymbal setup

I went to Guitar Center today with the cash from my most recent gig, and for a surprisingly inexpensive $87, walked out with a Pearl Double-Jointed Ride stand, and a clamp-on splash stand from LP. I also took the plunge and drilled my AA Medium Ride about a week ago. There are two rivets, and...
  11. Clayton_C

Live Big Band Setup

This is my live set-up with my school drum set, mics and all. Here are the specs: Ludwig Classic Maple 18" Bass Drum I believe 14" Snare 10", 13", and 14" mounted toms (I traded the stock snare for a Supraphonic after my small combo played and we went into the more ballistic big-band section...
  12. Clayton_C

Drilling Cymbals the Right Way

Hey all, I have a 20" Sabian AA Med. Ride that I want to put two rivets into. I've been asking around at local music stores and no-one seems to be able to put the holes in, so I've endeavored to do it myself. Of course, I haven't the faintest idea how to approach it, and figured since there's...
  13. Clayton_C

Ideas for a Mini Kit

Hey all, My jazz combo has been getting gigs lately, lots of dinner parties, and we've realized that most of the jobs we're going to get are going to be low-volume, low-intensity settings where our highly-rehearsed, experimentally-arranged jazz is going to be slightly out of place. Since my...
  14. Clayton_C

Ludwig Classic Maple Set

This is my set at school. I'm actually unsure exactly what model it is (there's no labeling on any of the drums) but it looks closest to the "Classic Maple Set" I believe. SPECS: 10", 13", 14" rack toms 14" snare (stock) LP Cowbell w/ Muffling Sabian AAX Stage HiHats Avedis Zildjian Orchestral...
  15. Clayton_C

A Bunch of Drum Set Questions...

Hey all, I have a bunch of questions that hopefully deserve some answers. :) First off: I've been listening to drummers like Peter Erskine, Kiko Freitas, and Bernie Dresel a lot lately, trying to emulate their playing styles in terms of jazz drumming AND the general sound of their drum sets...