Recent content by brentcn

1. B

DRUMMERS, How do or would you handle falling off the click on a song with a backing track?

Yes, it's going to be fun, and of course it's not going to hurt anyone, to play with this kind of drum-less track. But it differs from live playing in one very important way: if your timing happens to slow or rush, to squeeze certain notes too close together or far apart, then the other...
  2. B

DRUMMERS, How do or would you handle falling off the click on a song with a backing track?

Having played for five years with various backing track bands across a range of styles, my answer here would be: it ultimately takes a lot of training and experience, to know when you're nailing the click, or the track. When you first start, you'll swear that you're grooving just fine, but...
  3. B

Yes, and it costs a great deal of time, money, and effort to set up. Obviously, great care is taken so that the show never has to stop. I met the MD for Pink a few years ago, and he ran two Mac Pros simultaneously, just so that if one failed, the other could carry on. He also set up talk-back...
  4. B

Old dude learning

I currently have a student who is 46, and started a little more than 2 years ago in private lessons with me, with no prior experience. After about 9 months, he joined a band at the teaching studio. Our school is a bit unique, because, in addition to offering private lessons, it groups adult...
  5. B

One foot out the door

What a time to be alive! This is truly awesome.
  6. B

One foot out the door

Bravo! Glad you're on a path to figure out how you're going to accomplish this. If you look at all the instructional material on how to develop double strokes on the bass drum, they all rely heavily on the ankle joint and muscles. The hip and knee are part of it, yes, but the ankle usually tilts...
  7. B

Gary Chaffee patterns.....What order to work on?

With students, Time Functioning gets the most use by far, but this is after the student is pretty comfortable learning a song, and has gone through some simpler materials w.r.t. coordination, fills, and groove playing. The student truly learns to coordinate the bass drum, and develops enough...
  8. B

Is it dumb of me to buy Constantinople?

Great post. Superb example of what K Cons can sound like in a non-jazz setting! The larger models work wonderfully, in this particular musical context. They're low-pitched, with a bit of dirt, and a nice long decay. They sink deeply down into the sound of the band, rather than sticking out on...
  9. B

Jazz to some people...

Good read, thanks! If all of the big band players, Miles Davis included, had remained dance-oriented, and not pursued their art, then Elvis and the Beatles would have maimed them, and Led Zeppelin would have buried them. True, jazz changed itself. But genres that do not evolve, are inevitably...
  10. B

Gary Chaffee patterns.....What order to work on?

I frequently teach beginners through advanced students, and have introduced these books to several students along the way. We tend to start with Time Functioning Fat Back exercises, because nearly all my students are primarily interested in playing rock. But, I have used all the books at some...
  11. B

Jazz to some people...

At some point during the 1950s, jazz became very sophisticated, artistic, and exploratory. Some of the best and most famous works were not intended for non-musicians, they were made because they pushed the boundaries of what was possible, beautiful, and interesting. You have to speak the...
  12. B

Returning to drumming - weak right ankle!

Agreed, braces and anti-inflammatory meds are your friends here. If you're able to walk, run, and jump, you should be able to build up the necessary strength and endurance for drumming. But it can easily take many months. It's an athletic skill, even for those without prior injury. All my...
  13. B

Beginner drummer needs help

The pinky can let go briefly, in order to allow the stick to come up to a full height. When the stick comes down, the pinky should come back around the stick. Easier said than done, of course.
  14. B

Beginner drummer needs help

It all looks fine, nice work so far! Overall, you're relaxed, and the sticks are moving smoothly and freely. During the moments when the stick is way up in the air, that pinky finger can disengage, to where it's not curled around the stick, but it should follow the curve of your other fingers...