Recent content by Anduin

1. Anduin

How long do you keep sticks?

For me there’s a few categories. For recording, I use nice fresh sticks. Meaning, mostly, that the tip is giving me a good ride sound. For practicing or just mucking around, I’ll go past the chipped-tip stage, but not too far, partly because chewed tips seem to wear out the drum mutes I...
  2. Anduin

What do lyrics mean to you?

Same here. There’s lots of songs I’ve loved for decades, but aside from maybe a few words of the hook line, I have no clue about the lyrics. I have a medium-sized collection of albums in the (poorly-named) “world music” genre, and they’re in Arabic, Urdu, ancient Chinese dialects, French...
  3. Anduin

What stick size do you use?

I used Zildjian 3A for many years. Great feel. Eventually I wanted to move on from the round tip, not the brand, which was always quality.
  4. Anduin

What is the opposite of an ostinato?

The opposite of an ostinato: a component of a musical piece (such as a musical phrase) which either (a) never repeats, or (b) is sufficiently long that a typical listener can not accurately anticipate the start of the next repetition. There’s the description you specifically asked us not to...
  5. Anduin

What stick size do you use?

Wow, really? Don’t you snap those on a rock gig? As mostly a rocker myself, I reach for a pair of 8Ds only when I’m playing jazz or super light tunes. Great feel but kinda toothpickish.
  6. Anduin

Bands that never recovered from departure of original drummer

Level 42: Phil Gould is irreplaceable. Unless he quits and you replace him. Several excellent drummers (Gary Husband, Gavin Harrison, Pete Ray Biggin, and others) have followed in Phil’s, um, pedalsteps, but the feel ain’t the same.
  7. Anduin

Outdated instruments

Hey! I resemble that remark! I’ve had a set of Staccatos since about 1980; still looking for the right gig to haul them out to. Large rental van will of course be required to transport the kik.
  8. Anduin

Anyone here play a 13", 14", 16" setup?

The core of my Gretsch kit from around 1980 is 13, 14, 16, 22. Awesome kit overall, but I’ve never been super happy with the 13’s tuning when using that 5-piece setup. But in a 13, 16, 22 four-piece config, the 13 tunes up great. So it’s getting a nice differentiation between the 13 and 14...
  9. Anduin

Yikes...Joey Jordison passed away...

Wow! So young! Joey was the first modern(ish?) metal guy I listened to closely. What I love about his playing, at least in part, is that even with such a high note density it still all makes perfect sense to my ear. I mean, busy as he is, I still understand every note he plays...
  10. Anduin

How can I get my singer to follow a set list?

That seems to be the key. A few bands I’ve played in were the call-the-tunes-on-the-fly type. As long as there’s no dead air and all the musicians are attentive, works great. One keyboard-player-leader I worked with would mouth the name of the next tune to me in the last 8 bars of the...
  11. Anduin

Do people make fun of you for your ear protection?

Yes, there are people out there who will make fun of us while we protect ourselves. Ignore them. Sure, I miss some high end frequencies while wearing earplugs, but maintaining what’s left of my hearing over the long term is vastly more important than caring what some dweeb thinks for the...
  12. Anduin

iPhone Metronome App

Ooh look, a 12-year old thread! Normally I use hardware metronomes, but it would be handy to carry one around. Any thoughts on decent metronome apps?
  13. Anduin

Drums/Cymbals Ratio

I’ve always liked lots of cymbals (in a given setup, as opposed to in the full collection). Even playing a 4 piece, I want like 3 crashes. And a china. Or 2. And wouldn’t a splash be nice for the occasional accent? Can I bring my stack too?
  14. Anduin

Advice for rudiments books

The NARD book is good for old-school rudimental solos. I’ve used it straight up as snare work and also orchestrating around the kit with an ear out for cool semi-accidental combinations that could become licks or whatever.
  15. Anduin

RIP Viola Smith

Wow! Awesome performance in that vid. RIP.
Back