New drum kit - what to get?

Mapex is an amazing company that is getting a lot of props right now. They have the older "Pro M" series which is great, and the Saturn and Orion series are both pretty awesome. They have a new custom line called MyDentity which, despite the name, which I don't love, is fantastic. I have a new 6 piece coming in that line now. It's amazing. The local drum shop told me that since MyDentities have come out, not one person who has gone there to order a DW has stuck with it...instead they all order MyDentities. Amazing drums.

Mapex is an amazing company that is getting a lot of props right now. They have the older "Pro M" series which is great, and the Saturn and Orion series are both pretty awesome. They have a new custom line called MyDentity which, despite the name, which I don't love, is fantastic. I have a new 6 piece coming in that line now. It's amazing. The local drum shop told me that since MyDentities have come out, not one person who has gone there to order a DW has stuck with it...instead they all order MyDentities. Amazing drums.
That is a very good point about the Mydentity's. Custom kit for 1000. Great deal. They don't make the Orion anymore, so they are out.

Orion is still available in europe :)

It's funny... He has a set of Renowns, and yet so many people are suggesting them!

Are you looking to keep the Renowns and get a second kit, or to sell? What don't you like about you current set? Sound, configuration, or just looking at different sizes? Would you consider expanding your existing kit, or are you looking to get something different or complementary as an alternative? What sizes do you have now, and what do you consider shallow sizes? I can't imagine that getting New Classics would be that different from what you have.

20" kicks are a little harder to find, though, and you'l possibly have to get a 10/12/14/20 and hunt down the 16 separately. The Saturn 10/12/14/20 jazz pack with an add-on 16" floor would fit the budget. Ludwig Classic Maples would give you any sizes you could want, but would overshoot your budget by a bit. Renowns would run a few hundred under 2 grand, New Classics overshoot the budget a little. I forget what the options are for the DW Performance series are, but are worth checking. I don't get the Pearl hate either; while nobody likes ISS mounts Pearl hardware is pretty good, and anything in your price range would have Optimounts anyways.

It's funny... He has a set of Renowns, and yet so many people are suggesting them!
Thanks, people have to learn how to read. :)

Are you looking to keep the Renowns and get a second kit, or to sell? What don't you like about you current set? Sound, configuration, or just looking at different sizes? Would you consider expanding your existing kit, or are you looking to get something different or complementary as an alternative? What sizes do you have now, and what do you consider shallow sizes? I can't imagine that getting New Classics would be that different from what you have.

20" kicks are a little harder to find, though, and you'l possibly have to get a 10/12/14/20 and hunt down the 16 separately. The Saturn 10/12/14/20 jazz pack with an add-on 16" floor would fit the budget. Ludwig Classic Maples would give you any sizes you could want, but would overshoot your budget by a bit. Renowns would run a few hundred under 2 grand, New Classics overshoot the budget a little. I forget what the options are for the DW Performance series are, but are worth checking. I don't get the Pearl hate either; while nobody likes ISS mounts Pearl hardware is pretty good, and anything in your price range would have Optimounts anyways.

I'm not speaking of hyper drive, short stack sizes. Just 10" x 7" and 12" x 8" rack, with 14" x 12" and 16" x 14" floor, and a shallow 20" kick, 16" or 14" deep. I'm thinking of selling my whole kit, but keeping the Byzance cymbals.

I've had nothing but bad experience with Pearl, that's why... unfortunately. :(
My Renown is in the, exclusive for Europe, jazz configuration. I'm stepping up, since I play a lot of other stuff (but I guess; could just add a 10" and 16" tom, but stuck with a 18" bass). I want to try something new. Also, looking for a different sound. The Saturns have that. Nice sound and sizes, somewhat good finishes.

Why do people keep asking this question. It is so easy!!! Saturn!!! :)
I decided to edit this. Please don't buy a Saturn. I don't want everyone else to discover what I have. :)

We missed you. Please insert a picture. <3

We missed you. Please insert a picture. <3

You Asked! :)

IMG_3187.jpg

Cameo. Get one of those new Special Edition birch/walnut Saturn kits with the fingered burl maple exterior finish. You can get it in 4 different colors now. A guy on another site got the Ocean Blue one and it looks great!

Cameo. Get one of those new Special Edition birch/walnut Saturn kits with the fingered burl maple exterior finish. You can get it in 4 different colors now. A guy on another site got the Ocean Blue one and it looks great!

Yeah, been thinking about it, but they're kind of hard to track down in Europe at a reasonable price. Link, please?

For all you who have helped me - thanks! Getting a 16" later seems like a good idea.

I couldn't answer that for you. You need to go out there and try as many drum-kits as you can to find what you think suits you best! As for your drum sizes, those pretty much seem to be the new standard in sizes now. you shouldn't have a hard time finding those sizes any where. I think Steve Smith uses the same sizes, nice jazzy sounding kit!!!

I couldn't answer that for you. You need to go out there and try as many drum-kits as you can to find what you think suits you best! As for your drum sizes, those pretty much seem to be the new standard in sizes now. you shouldn't have a hard time finding those sizes any where. I think Steve Smith uses the same sizes, nice jazzy sounding kit!!!

Those are standard on toms, not bass. That's the problem.
...but I could live with a 18", I'll just order an add-on from Gretsch.

...and I live in southern Sweden. No music stores around here, and if I'd find something it would be damn expensive. Found a huge Classic Maple around 2K, though.

Being in Europe I would definitely look into SONOR. I have owned a ton of high end kits and the German made SONOR kits are in my opinion the best ply kits on the market. My second choice would be either Yamaha or Gretsch. The Yamaha RC and Gretsch Broadkaster are my favorites from either of those two companies. But with a budget of 2000 I would look for a used maple light designer kit. Good luck.

Being in Europe I would definitely look into SONOR. I have owned a ton of high end kits and the German made SONOR kits are in my opinion the best ply kits on the market. My second choice would be either Yamaha or Gretsch. The Yamaha RC and Gretsch Broadkaster are my favorites from either of those two companies. But with a budget of 2000 I would look for a used maple light designer kit. Good luck.

You just named my favorite companies (Brady and Dunnett excluded)!
I'll definitely search for some Sonors. But their nicer drums always seem to be so deep.

Please review the MyDentity kit when it arrives mrchattr. Can't seem to find any reviews / videos of them yet, but they sound like a great deal for the amount of customization and quality of the Mapex drums. Thanks.

Cameo you can get nearly any drum kit from thomann.de or a lot of other great shops here in Germany.

If I had to do the first kit over I would dump money in awesome hardware followed by cymbals. Down the road you can put cash on new shell sets; most higher end drums come in shell sets.

Cameo you can get nearly any drum kit from thomann.de or a lot of other great shops here in Germany.

If I had to do the first kit over I would dump money in awesome hardware followed by cymbals. Down the road you can put cash on new shell sets; most higher end drums come in shell sets.

I have high end cymbals and hardware already, lol.
Saw that they're offering Sonor shells in the 10", 14", 16" config. Looks promising.

Back