Two single pedals on one bass drum?

godsmack96

Hey, I'm fairly new to both drumming and this forum. Me and my brother are starting to write music, and the only thing we're waiting on is a complete set. And most of our songs we've written already require/would sound better with double bass. But, we don't have that much money to start with (plus I'm lefty, so lefty double bass pedals are around 3 times as much) and, I don't really want to put two bass drums together because of the space we are provided. I have an idea to put two single bass pedals on one bass drums, because it sounds like it might be similar to a double bass pedal, just the pedals are closer together. I'm just wondering if that's a good idea? If it's even possible? I'd really appreciate it if someone responds soon.

There can be only one! (one each drum)
There is no room on a single BD for two pedals. You'd have to set them on a single form then attach that to the BD, but then your pedal might be too far away from the head to hit it effectively.
Playing would be difficult since your legs would be side by side leaving little room for play. Then your snare would have to be mounted high above your legs that it would come up to your chest, not effective.
Placing the snare on either side of you would also not be effective since you'd have to twist your body to an extreme that would be detrimental ergonomically and cause lower back pain and shoulder pain.
Buy a dual pedal or don't worry about the BD drum part, you can always cheat and dub in the BD drum part.
You can always learn how to get that sound by playing off your BD and FT.

richard: that's true. never really considered the snare position.

bobdadruma: I love the idea of the Dualist, just a tad confused on how it works

The old Trixon Speedfire "elipsoid" bass drum had flat-bottom hoop that allowed two pedals to be attached. The drum had a divider inside, and each pedal played a separate 'chamber' of the kick, producing two different sounds.

speedfire.jpg

Apart from that, I don't know of any other design intended to mount 2 separate pedals on one drum. I'd say a normal double pedal is what you need. And if feel and reliabilty is important, don't cheap out. Spend the money and get the right pedal for you.

Bermuda

bermuda: now that's an interesting set..unfortunately I basically already have a set picked out. I just had the question on if it was possible to fit two pedals on a regular bass drum

bermuda: now that's an interesting set..unfortunately I basically already have a set picked out. I just had the question on if it was possible to fit two pedals on a regular bass drum

Just providing a little history/legacy for ya!

But to answer your specific question, it is not possible to attach 2 pedals on a regular bass drum in a manner that they can both be played, at the same time, and by the same drummer.

Bermuda

Where would you put your snare if you had to sit with your legs together to play two pedals sitting side by side. I would suggest playing one pedal until you get good enough at it then maybe by then you will have saved enough money to buy a proper pedal.

It sounds like an all around bad idea... it would be way to cramped... and good drummers don't need double pedal :p, try working up your speed with one, and if you really need it, get the double pedal, but the two pedals on one drum won't work.

Back