Got one of these...

Spesman

Just received one of these in the post.
I had one on an old kit years ago and foolishly sold it with the kit. Ever since then, I've been kicking myself for getting rid of it because I've had heaps of probs finding another one.
My new Wuhan 18" china will thank me for this, so I won't be getting rid of this one in a hurry I can tell you!!

resize.jpg

I tried one of them a little over a year ago. You have to be very careful that they don't mess-up the treads on the cymbal stand because of the set screw that tightens down on stands threads. I was able to use a die to re-thread and repair the stands threads. The thing is, I really didn't use very much torque on the set screw when installing it. What I did do was to experiment and drill through the base of the mount allowing the top of the cymbal stand to enter deeper into the mount thus putting the set screw farther down on the cymbal stands threaded top. It wasn't worth the time and energy. To me it's just not worth damaging an $80 cymbal stand.

I won't use one of those again.

Dennis

I tried one of them a little over a year ago. You have to be very careful that they don't mess-up the treads on the cymbal stand because of the set screw that tightens down on stands threads. I was able to use a die to re-thread and repair the stands threads. The thing is, I really didn't use very much torque on the set screw when installing it. What I did do was to experiment and drill through the base of the mount allowing the top of the cymbal stand to enter deeper into the mount thus putting the set screw farther down on the cymbal stands threaded top. It wasn't worth the time and energy. To me it's just not worth damaging an $80 cymbal stand.

I won't use one of those again.

Dennis

Hi Dennis
Yeah, that was a concern when I had my first one. So what I did was nominate a stand that wasn't used for anything else but a china, got a hacksaw and sawed the thread part off so I was let with a stump. This gave me more tension on the nut.
Yes, it kind of ruined my chances of using that stand with a wingnut again, but I've got enough stands to go round so it wont be missed.
I'm more interested in saving my china any way I can.
Scott.

I mounted a china with one using a cheap clamp-on arm so I'd feel less bad about the threads, plus I folded a bit of cardboard over and used it to pad the threads some. Haven't taken it apart yet to see how it held up though.

I like how it works well enough to keep using it so long as I keep in mind the downsides. Wonder how hard it would have been to have properly threaded versions... I wonder how many different thread sizes different hardware manufacturers really use on stands.

I'm sorry but wtf is that thing..?

I used them years ago but stopped using them after some people suggested that my problem breaking cymbals may be because of them and I havent broke any cymbals after going back to just using felts.

I don't get the point. Why is putting specifically a china on a spring a good thing?

I have a Wuhan china which is somewhat hard to mount inverted; it flops over as far as the center hole lets it, so its movement is somewhat restricted. The spring gives it a better range of motion when playing it, and lets it move more naturally than it would otherwise.

Back