drum snobbery

there are times I wish I could still have that child like innocence in my playing

Ha. There are times where I DO have that childlike innocence to my playing......in those situations I can cleverly disguise my mediocrity by claiming I'm just serving the music though!! :)

[ok, ok.....I've had my fun on this one. No more piss taking from me, I promise!!]

I love hating on The Beatles. And Led Zeppelin. And anything else overrated, overplayed and overexposed. Keeps me regular.

Why not bran like everyone else? :)

Except Meg White. She's a joke........even Polly knows that.

NO! She was Jack's experiment ... and an experiment that worked spectacularly well. Remember, he didn't let her practice so you can't knock her for lack of chops.

He was heavily into De Stijl art and he wanted her to play in that style. No one had done it before. I'm sure many fans of Rembrandt:

Rembrandt%20Europa.jpg

didn't care for Mondrian's De Stijl art:

Mondrian_Composition_II_in_Red,_Blue,_and_Yellow.jpg

Fair enough too. I get that.

But I (and many others) like what Mondrian did - it was fresh, original, textured (which doesn't come up on screen) and employed various design principles beautifully.

Thing is, the WS put out some really enjoyable music loved by millions. Meg was part of it. That's more than I've done so I can't scoff.

NO! She was Jack's experiment ... and an experiment that worked spectacularly well. Remember, he didn't let her practice so you can't knock her for lack of chops.

29 minutes........and with a poorly baited hook!!

If I could land fish that quickly I'd never go hungry again. :)

29 minutes........and with a poorly baited hook!!

If I could land fish that quickly I'd never go hungry again. :)

Okay smart guy - it's time for you to walk the walk. Where's that 2 minute solo!

Seriously, your comments over the years suggest that you're a strong and seasoned player ... yet you are one of the few regulars here whose playing I've not heard.

Come on everyone, let's peer pressure PFOG into posting his playing!

This is what you get for fishing - you bagged a shark hehehehehehe

I just don't get this genre specific stuff. My car stereo contains James Taylor, Bread, The Mamas and the Papas, America, Skunk Anansie, Living Colour, Paul Simon, AC/DC, Genesis, Motorhead, Rush, Led Zeppelin, The Muppets, Bear in the Big Blue House, Adele and Lionel Hampton to name but a few.

And I like it all.

I also play in a covers band that does Foo Fighters and Guns and Roses alongside Brittany Spiers and Erasure.

Variety is the spice of life and I'm too old to care whether anyone thinks I'm cool or not! (I'm definitely not cool and would slap anyone who thought I was, as they are clearly deranged!)

I like some of every style of music there is. I don't get the genre wars or the indignity over the perceived lack of respect. Who cares? The music I'm really into, nobody likes. It doesn't bother me. Just makes it more special when someone who shares my (awesome) taste in music comes along. :)

Okay smart guy - it's time for you to walk the walk. Where's that 2 minute solo!

Seriously, your comments over the years suggest that you're a strong and seasoned player ... yet you are one of the few regulars here whose playing I've not heard.

Come on everyone, let's peer pressure PFOG into posting his playing!

You've already heard it Pol, I guarantee it.......I'm that guy you've heard a million times sloggin' it out in the cover band on the local circuit....or the guy in the "almost made it" originals band. The guy that provides a couple of hours entertainment whilst you get pissed, have a dance and maybe pick up if you're lucky. The guy that can hold down his gig with a few of the local lads....yeah he's played a few of 'em......yeah he can play a little bit, but there's no way he's ever gonna set the world alight. And even less likelihood of remembering him in the morning once the hangover subsides. Nothing particularly special or unique about my playing at all......as I say, you've heard it a million times. "Seasoned" enough to have given me some work within a limited setting (thank god for that 2 and 4!!).......not "strong" enough to have gotten me noticed.

Besides, with what shall I record it, dear Liza, dear Liza? I'm sure I have a few 57's lyin' around somewhere.....I may even still have the leads. But with nothing to plug 'em in to, it's gonna be tough.

You've already heard it Pol, I guarantee it.......I'm that guy you've heard a million times sloggin' it out in the cover band on the local circuit....or the guy in the "almost made it" originals band. The guy that provides a couple of hours entertainment whilst you get pissed, have a dance and maybe pick up if you're lucky. The guy that can hold down his gig with a few of the local lads....yeah he's played a few of 'em......yeah he can play a little bit, but there's no way he's ever gonna set the world alight. And even less likelihood of remembering him in the morning once the hangover subsides. Nothing particularly special or unique about my playing at all......as I say, you've heard it a million times. "Seasoned" enough to have given me some work within a limited setting (thank god for that 2 and 4!!).......not "strong" enough to have gotten me noticed.

Besides, with what shall I record it, dear Liza, dear Liza? I'm sure I have a few 57's lyin' around somewhere.....I may even still have the leads. But with nothing to plug 'em in to, it's gonna be tough.

Yeah, I was that local bar type player too. BUT ... we're not entirely interchangeable. At the "made it" level Rob Hirst was different to Steve Prestwich who's different to Buzz Bidstrup who's not the same as Johnny Dick ...

A guy with a big job in finance can't afford $200 for an H2 Zoom to record his practices and tweak his technique? And then to record a teensy solo? Mmmm?

shark.jpg

This has been entertaining stuff! I can't believe this thread has had so many responses.
Pollyanna, you're definitly slightly mad! I'm ashamed to say I don't know ANY Pinl Floyd songs, I don't know how I've managed to miss them all this time.

As for the Beatles, I'm not a fan but, it's not them who are crap, more likely my taste is, as you can't possibly write THAT many catchy tunes and hits and not be great.
They do it with the simplest of techniques, chord, melody combinations too which is clever.

When i write a piano piece it ends up going all medi-evil, classic/harpsichord 10,000 notes and key changes!

So I have to give them credit.

Just got in from band practise, been jamming out a song we've just recorded, it's working title is 'clown pockets' 'cos you need some serious pocket to get the verses grooving. I'll upload it over the weeknd maybe and you's can have a laugh at my playing

I get the hurts your ears part. I don't get the makes you think about horrible things.

There is plenty of happy metal.

There is plenty of Ballad metal.

There is plenty of funk / groovy metal.

Same with rock.

Dude, your statement makes about as much sense as the goobers that generalize all country songs as my girlfriend left me, my dog ran away, the truck won't start tunes. Or the goobers that generalize all hip hop as kill whitie music. Or the goobers that generalize female singer/songwriter is all boo-hoo you hurt me songs. A lot of our parents generalized rock as cars and chicks. (they were right, by the way.... :) )

Not all metal is about the end of the world, tragedy, politics or pain.

-K

Do you always take life so seriously? Then again, this is coming from somebody who doesn't like the Beatles or Led Zeppelin. C'est la vie.

Do you always take life so seriously? Then again, this is coming from somebody who doesn't like the Beatles or Led Zeppelin. C'est la vie.

Me, life seriously? I'm a clownboy smarty pants. So, uh, no. Not at all.

Do you always paint subjects with such wide brushes? Is there just black and white in your world?

-Ken

A guy with a big job in finance can't afford $200 for an H2 Zoom to record his practices and tweak his technique? And then to record a teensy solo? Mmmm?

shark.jpg
Oh no, PFOG! You done got punked! Now whatchu gonna do, huh?

not really the case at all actually

I don't mean to offend any Beatles fans, I don't know enough about them to have an educated opinion.
However I can listen to their songs then instantly play them on piano. I'm not amazing at piano.
I've just always classed them as kings of writing great ABC music, like the first kind of music you'd try to learn when picking up an instrument.
Yes they may have had sone interesting stuff byt the majority was fairly simple.

If you picked up a bass guitar tomorrow you'd have a great chance of coming away being able to playalot if their songs (badly) as apposed to say trying to learn 'me and my bass guitar' by Victor Wooten.

They are musical geniuses nonethless so sorry if I offended.

Oh no, PFOG! You done got punked! Now whatchu gonna do, huh?

Looks like I'm finally gonna have to figure out how to transfer all the video from the maxed out hard drive on my handy cam to a more permanent data source (don't want to erase the entire recorded history of my little girl's first 5 years of life), and try and get a working example of "overplaying" down, hey.

As one who is yet to get down the finer points of double clicking a damn mouse button, this could prove difficult though. :)

Looks like I'm finally gonna have to figure out how to transfer all the video from the maxed out hard drive on my handy cam to a more permanent data source (don't want to erase the entire recorded history of my little girl's first 5 years of life), and try and get a working example of "overplaying" down, hey.

As one who is yet to get down the finer points of double clicking a damn mouse button, this could prove difficult though. :)

Lol, if you plug your camera into your pc via USB then go to my computer and right click on your camera you should select 'explore'.
When your video files show up in the file press control and A then press control and C.
Go to my documents, right click inside (but not on a file) select new - folder.
Name it, double left click to open then click inside the file and press control and V.

This'll copy everything rather than cutting it from your device so once you've sifted through the footage and are sure you have all the videos off your camera you can delete it from your camera.

Have you used cubase before? Windows movie maker is similar in that once you open your clip into movie make you drag the start and finish points over the footage you want then export it.
Windows movie maker will also give you the option to upload it straight onto youtube.

Beware though as you should check your preferences and export the video with the best settings you can if you don't want it to look megadrive!

Last edited:
Back