Here's a Bo update

Bo,

thanks for sharing this with us. I am one of those that have never been to an audition and seeing it through your eyes...well, I'm glad you shared it.

You have a great attitude too. I'm a little jelly over the whole experience :)

If I'm right Bo, that would be Jon Walmsley, who played lead for Richard Marx? Hot player indeed, & revered company.

Good buzz Bo, & it's no surprise to me that you slotted right in with peers of that calibre. You never know mate, you may yet get that call. Also, seems like these calls are a good networking opportunity for potential band formation activities too. Did you get numbers?

Thanks Andy (and everyone else too!). Yes - it was Jon Walmsley - he currently works here already playing in a bluegrass band, so I see him everyday. But only on this audition did we ever play together. Now he knows who I am! The bassist also currently works here all the time, so we're all neighborly.

But regarding Jon, he's the quiet type, and he quickly plugs in his pedal board and gets ready to play. I count it off, and it was literally a WALL of sound. I think if I was less of a player, I might've run out of the room! Ever have that feeling when you know you're out of your league on the bandstand? That feeling didn't hit me until I was all done and walking out to my car. I just hide it really well ;)

Chin up, man. Even if you didn't get *this* gig, I'm sure you made a great impression with them, the kind that they might go, "Oh yeah, this is that guy that TOTALLY ROCKED at that last audition, he was our #2 pick then but he'd be PERFECT for this opportunity". I'm confident that they'll see you for the class act you are in due course.

P.S. You never did say if you wanted the mouse graphic...

I might have to take you up on that and mount in on a head for a wall in the house. But I don't want to put you out. Producing a graphic isn't exactly a free thing for anybody, is it? I mean, look how much VintageLogos.com charges for the crap they do ;)

Aw shucks Bo.

Although I often wonder how they can tell so much from 40 seconds of this, 40 seconds of that.

What, they didn't like your Clem Berke impression?
Still, I'm impressed how well you take the let down in stride.

Sounds like an interesting audition and I thank you for sharing it...very interesting for someone like me to see how the whole process works. I'm sure you'll get the next one!

Aw shucks Bo.

Although I often wonder how they can tell so much from 40 seconds of this, 40 seconds of that.

What, they didn't like your Clem Berke impression?
Still, I'm impressed how well you take the let down in stride.

Well, 40 seconds of being watched by the people who hired you for the last gig just a year ago. And on top of that, those people originally hired me over 20 years ago! They know what they're looking at ;)

Sure thing Mary, I share so the youngsters can see what it's like. I very rarely withhold information if it'll help anybody, but I do remember being in my 20s and not listening to anybody (as we probably all have done). It's actually funny how nobody demanded a double pedal be on the kit.... It had crossed my mind to ask for an additional bass drum. But the guys who showed up with their own bass drum pedal were ribbed a bit as it was.

In fact, did I tell everyone I didn't even get to use my sticks on the first audition? It was so fast I grabbed whatever was already there - I don't think they were even a pair - just two different sized sticks. And when I flip the kit around since I'm a lefty, I only had time to switch the snare, floor tom and hi-hat. The rest of the kit stayed the same. I don't think I've ever done an audition where everything was optimal. The fire to want to play has to be hotter than how you want to play, I guess.

And when I flip the kit around since I'm a lefty, I only had time to switch the snare, floor tom and hi-hat. The rest of the kit stayed the same. I don't think I've ever done an audition where everything was optimal. The fire to want to play has to be hotter than how you want to play, I guess.

And of course, that doesn't help anyone sef confidence a single bit, so kudos to you Bo for being called a second time around, the must have been please with your 40 seconds on a kit that is not even set up to your liking... :)

I know it sounds like you didn't get the job, but you never know, so watch this space, who knows, the phone might still ring...

And of course, a musician of your caliber takes that second audition with a proffesional attitude, with constructive critiscism and advice, and you seemed to enjoyed playing Blondie's Call me with the bass player, if anything, that's a good feeling. :)

And of course, that doesn't help anyone sef confidence a single bit, so kudos to you Bo for being called a second time around, the must have been please with your 40 seconds on a kit that is not even set up to your liking... :)

I know it sounds like you didn't get the job, but you never know, so watch this space, who knows, the phone might still ring...

And of course, a musician of your caliber takes that second audition with a proffesional attitude, with constructive critiscism and advice, and you seemed to enjoyed playing Blondie's Call me with the bass player, if anything, that's a good feeling. :)

Well, the trippy thing is, there was no constructive criticism or advice given. It was really, "Thank you, you guys can go". It felt a little anti-climactic 'cause you leave scratching your head. The not knowing if it was well-received or not is the tough thing to get used to. Some guys compensate by getting angry about it and blaming, but after a while you just learn how to roll with it. I mean, I've been fired from bar bands, or the whole band gets fired, or I've watched situations just deteriorate over time because someone loses their mind....you either develop a thick skin or you don't. I figure I might as well enjoy it because getting mad just sucks up energy you don't want to waste, or you could better spend it on something more positive.

I plan on using discussions like this in any clinics I might get asked to do. Because really, alot of this information isn't out there or even given because potentially, if we're all competing for jobs, you don't want to help the competition. But I'm at that age now where it doesn't really matter - I'm secure in my own skin and if I didn't get a gig, I know it could be for any other reason besides my playing. The only thing I can control is how good I play. Being short? Not having the right 'look'? That's totally not up to me ;) And I'm smart enough to know not to walk into a musical situation I know I can't handle. I see alot of that happening too.

I think "Call Me" has become a favorite groove song now. Definitely not something you get to play everyday and it's harder to play than most people think. And then to get to do it with three world-class musicians was a major plus. In fact, I had lunch with that bass player today and he was still positive about how I played. I told him we should start a garage band ;)

Well, the trippy thing is, there was no constructive criticism or advice given. It was really, "Thank you, you guys can go". It felt a little anti-climactic 'cause you leave scratching your head. The not knowing if it was well-received or not is the tough thing to get used to. Some guys compensate by getting angry about it and blaming, but after a while you just learn how to roll with it. I mean, I've been fired from bar bands, or the whole band gets fired, or I've watched situations just deteriorate over time because someone loses their mind....you either develop a thick skin or you don't. I figure I might as well enjoy it because getting mad just sucks up energy you don't want to waste, or you could better spend it on something more positive.

I plan on using discussions like this in any clinics I might get asked to do. Because really, alot of this information isn't out there or even given because potentially, if we're all competing for jobs, you don't want to help the competition. But I'm at that age now where it doesn't really matter - I'm secure in my own skin and if I didn't get a gig, I know it could be for any other reason besides my playing. The only thing I can control is how good I play. Being short? Not having the right 'look'? That's totally not up to me ;) And I'm smart enough to know not to walk into a musical situation I know I can't handle. I see alot of that happening too.

I think "Call Me" has become a favorite groove song now. Definitely not something you get to play everyday and it's harder to play than most people think. And then to get to do it with three world-class musicians was a major plus. In fact, I had lunch with that bass player today and he was still positive about how I played. I told him we should start a garage band ;)

If you do clinic talks about this, you should include my story on how my "best" friend lost their marbles and kicked me off their recording project/playing with them live for something they did and blamed it on me.

I might have to take you up on that and mount in on a head for a wall in the house. But I don't want to put you out. Producing a graphic isn't exactly a free thing for anybody, is it? I mean, look how much VintageLogos.com charges for the crap they do ;)

Generally, no, it's not free. But I do produce samples here and there for friends. It shouldn't be putting me out, an Illustrator version of that should take a Saturday morning someday soon, that is if I don't get behind schedule on the webcomics.

A callback!
Better than being slapped in the belly with a wet salmon.
I woud not be surprised that by not having to over think the songs that you were in a looser mode and maybe it is not all about the playing only, could be the hook and the look. I did not get a gig with a popular band here in Toronto back in the 80's because I did not look the part; You are obviously a dedicated and good player so that part you needn't worry about.
Break a leg.

A callback!
Better than being slapped in the belly with a wet salmon.
I woud not be surprised that by not having to over think the songs that you were in a looser mode and maybe it is not all about the playing only, could be the hook and the look. I did not get a gig with a popular band here in Toronto back in the 80's because I did not look the part; You are obviously a dedicated and good player so that part you needn't worry about.
Break a leg.

Thanks. But it appears right now that the bass player and I have broken both legs ;)

...could be the hook and the look. I did not get a gig with a popular band here in Toronto back in the 80's because I did not look the part...

I agree, for many a band, look and image is a key factor upon choosing a suitable musician during an audition, and sometimes, it's a more important feature than how cool the personality of a person might be, depending on the type of band, to be an accomplished drummer with an open mind and great personality, unfortunately, is not enough, sad really.

But, that doesn't say that Bo hasn't got good looks ;-))

I agree, for many a band, look and image is a key factor upon choosing a suitable musician during an audition, and sometimes, it's a more important feature than how cool the personality of a person might be, depending on the type of band, to be an accomplished drummer with an open mind and great personality, unfortunately, is not enough, sad really.

But, that doesn't say that Bo hasn't got good looks ;-))

Don't make me blush.

Actually, we saw pictures of the costumes and in reality, it was enough to cover anybody's ugliness. It looks like it's going to be a KISS-situation, where you get an hour to put on make-up and the outfit. It was pretty incredible. Just think Johnny Depp in Alice in Wonderland. Like that.

Nah... won't suit you mate...

...there's only one outfit that will fit you Bo, ha! :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWfoMHihlI

I don't know, man. You pay somebody enough money, especially a musician, and who knows what he'd say no to? That would be an interesting topic of discussion. How much would you put up with for that paycheck?

You'd be surprised how some of our staunchest musicians would go 'whore-y' if it meant he got to make a living with his instrument ;)

I don't know, man. You pay somebody enough money, especially a musician, and who knows what he'd say no to? That would be an interesting topic of discussion. How much would you put up with for that paycheck?

You'd be surprised how some of our staunchest musicians would go 'whore-y' if it meant he got to make a living with his instrument ;)

Yes Bo, I agree, putting the jokes on the side, it's certainely a topic which could be discussed on the forum, as at the end of the day, good money is good money, and if I have to look like a "Johnny Depp's Mad Hatters or a lookalike Peter Criss type of make up, who cares, I'll be earning a good living while still playing drums, a good food for thoughts question, isn't it?

Back