pedal for jazz

RevWrona

What is a good pedal for jazz? I am looking for one as I find some I will ask if it good? Thank you all for your input.

RevWrona

The one that you really find comfortable and which suit your playing best, with this in mind, the search is all yours, no one can choose or give a positive advice on this, it's by far too personal a choice for someone to do it for you. :)

The one that you really find comfortable and which suit your playing best, with this in mind, the search is all yours, no one can choose or give a positive advice on this, it's by far too personal a choice for someone to do it for you. :)

Agree. Go to a store and give em all a shot.

I have been using a $50 Sonor pedal that I like and also an old vintage Tama from the 80's that is kind of like a Camco pedal.
A Ludwig Speed King is also a standard for jazz play. I played one of those for about 30 years.
My Cobra is a bit too heavy for jazz style play. I use a Cobra for Rock.
Light pedals are best suited for jazz.

I'll play devil's advocate: just go get a DW5000 pedal. So when you sit in on other people's drums, you won't have to adjust your foot to something different ;)

I use any of my pedals to play jazz. The pedal really doesn't know the difference between rock and jazz, but my foot does. The only thing I might do is to use different beaters when wanting a particular sound.

Dennis

Something like this:

9793.jpg

I'll play devil's advocate: just go get a DW5000 pedal. So when you sit in on other people's drums, you won't have to adjust your foot to something different ;)

I use a DW5000 too; I have switched out the DW beater for a Vater Vintage Bomber. So, instead of a new pedal, all you might need is a switch to a different beater. This is a very inexpensive upgrade.

GJS

i went thru a single pedal search about a year ago. went with the yamaha belt drive, FP8500B: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/hardware/footpedals/fp8500b/?mode=model

the 200 series sonor is slouch either for a fast cheap one. got one w/ a Bop kit recently & pretty impressed.

tried a bunch of the DWs & felt they were too heavy...i was moving way too much mass. made my BD comping feel too heavy.

Thank you for posting this. Perhaps I should give this one a try.

Like others here have mentioned, I've been so unhappy pedal shopping within the last few years since they are all so darn over engineered, too freaking heavy and cost way more than I'm willing to pay.

I've been using a DW5000 strap pedal for the last 10+ years and am still comparing it to my no-longer-made Gretsch Floating Action pedal which I judge all others against.

The DW5000 still does not suit me and that includes after I immediately tossed the DW dual sided beater that came with it out the door.

Lightweight and simple is what I'm after. This may be the ticket. The fact that it has a strap is making me happy for starters.

I currently have an Iron Cobra, I just can't seem to get comfortable with it.

I also put an ad on craiglist and so far I have gotten responses for;

Ludwig Speed Kings for $40.

sonor p473 for $55

mapex single pedal for $50

Money is tight these days so I plan on buying a pedal and selling my Iron Cobra for the same price and just break even.

RevWrona

:) <---from my daughter

Pick up a Gretsch floating action used on Ebay,and replace the leather strap with kevlar.A good second choice would be the 80"s vintage Tama/Camco.Similar to the Gretsch,both are light and fast,and can be had at a reasonable price used.

Steve B

Is this a trick question? Who actually uses the bass drum in jazz anyway? :p

Seriously though, I'm with Audiotech on this one. It's the foot not the pedal but if you want a boomier sound try a different beater. I use a Vater Bomber Beater if I need less attack and more boom and it sounds just fine on my Iron Cobra.

I agree with you that the pedal doesn't know the difference, but I am just not happy with the Iron Cobra. And also figured adding that it is for jazz will eliminate the double pedals and stuff.

I agree with you Rev about the Cobra not being comfortable for Jazz.
I tried my Cobra on my jazz kit and I removed after only a few mins.

It really doesn't show up very well on the photograph, but the Iron Cobra Power Glide is the exact pedal I've been using on my Ludwig kit and jazz is basically all I play on it. More times than not, it's just a personal preference in what feels better to the player.

DSC_0078-3.jpg

Dennis

The Ludwig Speed Kings for $40. is within my price range, do you all think it is worth $40?
I would go with a more modern pedal.
The Speed King is good but it is antiquated.
Sonor makes a $50 pedal that is really good.
It is smooth and quiet. That is what I am currently using for Jazz.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SOOSP473
Just read the reviews on this pedal that are on the net.

There's no such thing as a pedal for jazz. What you want is the pedal for you. Find that pedal, and you can play anything with it.

Back