Love Yamaha, but totally PO about Hexrack situation. Anything new out there?

Would you be kind enough to give me the names of those shops please. That would be so useful. Thanks, Andy.

Found on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-HXTC-Hexrack-Drum-Rack-Clamp-DISCONTINUED-/290548374907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a6085d7b (Drum Center of Portsmouth) but those are rather expensive I think.

Another store but in Europe (Thomann):

http://www.thomann.de/fi/yamaha_hxr3l_hexrack_drumrack_rock.htm

http://www.thomann.de/fi/yamaha_hxr2l_hexrack_drumrack.htm

http://www.thomann.de/fi/yamaha_hxr4ld_dtxtreme_drumrack.htm

Going to buy that first one I linked on next summer if still in stock!

Thanks for that. Yes, that first link is silly money, & it's only the tom arm clamp. I can buy a two sided rack today from Thomann for not much more than that with 4 of those brackets.

Exactly! But remember those were euros not dollars :) Maybe you already noticed that but just in case!

Hey by the way why did Yamaha discontinue making those Hex Rack parts? Don't have any clue.

Yes, when yamaha discontinued the hex rack, they discontinued all of the other hex rack parts

Well they must be the best by far if they discontinued them? I know they hate making money. :)

Hey by the way why did Yamaha discontinue making those Hex Rack parts? Don't have any clue.
The whole saga ... and a whole lotta misinformation (I'm sure) has been covered, in prior threads. The search button will show you more than you ever wanted to know about it.​
The short story, Yamaha and another company went co-op on the hex rack ... and for some reason, Yamaha didn't hold the patents. So, when the "other company" started to "not play so nice" they took their "hex rack" and went home. Yamaha had to say "bye-bye" to the hex rack, and they've been very slow in developing a replacement.​

Thanks for all your help guys. I've just cut a deal with MusiQmaN, a real gent. This rack will be used on my development project kit.

Glad to see this all end so well! I will expect gleaming pictures of the kit and now the rack - nothing short of stellar photography is acceptable!

The whole saga ... and a whole lotta misinformation (I'm sure) has been covered, in prior threads. The search button will show you more than you ever wanted to know about it.​
The short story, Yamaha and another company went co-op on the hex rack ... and for some reason, Yamaha didn't hold the patents. So, when the "other company" started to "not play so nice" they took their "hex rack" and went home. Yamaha had to say "bye-bye" to the hex rack, and they've been very slow in developing a replacement.​

Oh so that's the reason! I wish they would still make them..

But anyway thanks for your short story!

I thought Yamaha still made the HexRack
Nope, but I can see where you might think that. They're still present in a lot of the images they use online and, not sure if I had anything to do with it, but a while back I sent a message to them on Twitter about the fact that they still had the Hexrack on their hardware page. Maybe a couple weeks later it was down.

I'm fine waiting for a Yamaha replacement of some sort, even if it's not a "Hexrack." I've always been a fan of Yamaha's hardware.

Hate to nitpick, Harry, 'cause I generally find you a valuable wealth of information & advice here. But...

The whole concept of "the memory lock keeps the clamp from slipping" means "you need a second clamp to keep the first clamp in place".

Not true. Well, exactly as stated, that is. First, there's a reason they're not called "safety locks". The main concept of memory locks is to "remember" positions, so as to speed up setup times. Hence, memory locks on vertical stands. When combined with tabs/notches (most do), both height and circular position are held in "memory". Slip prevention is secondary. (But a nice added benefit- see below.)

Also, you don't "need" a 2nd clamp (the memory lock), to keep a primary clamp from slipping, but it does admittedly add insurance. It's never happened to any of my rack clamps, but I've had cymbal stand wingnuts strip and memory locks saved the stand from collapsing. Most of the clamps on my rack don't have adjoining memory locks- only the structural connections (where the rack tubes clamp to each other) and the tom holder have them, and only with the latter do I occasionally think about the "insurance" factor. The clamp that holds my hanging FT and my ride cymbal on the same cymbal holder does not have one. It's never slipped. I just tighten it with a little bit of elbow behind it, but not so much where I'm white-knuckled. I think that amount of over-tightening would put it in danger of stripping. (That would be just as much an example of misuse as tightening it too little.)

So, with common sense use, round-tube racks are more than adequate. They are certainly not idiot-proof though. (Nothing really is.)

Andy, glad you've found something..

Harry, as you can see I don't use any memory locks for any of my clamps on my rack. I have never had anything slip, although I'll admit my rack and clamps are not your ordinary run of the mill stuff...

attachment.php

Hey guys ... if round tube works for you ... more power to ya. Personally, I've just seen way too many round tube rack failures on Hollywood stages to say to myself ... yeah ... I need some of that in my life.​
I mean, I've literally seen guys throw their racks into dumpsters, after gigs, they were so pissed off.​
So for me, I spent 2 years jammin' with my home-made square tube rack (early 80's) ... followed by 15+ years with a Pearl DR-100 ... and now I have 2 Yamaha hex racks, to last me the rest of my life (hopefully).​

Hey guys ... if round tube works for you ... more power to ya. Personally, I've just seen way too many round tube rack failures on Hollywood stages to say to myself ... yeah ... I need some of that in my life.​
I mean, I've literally seen guys throw their racks into dumpsters, after gigs, they were so pissed off.​

Harry, I think round tube racks get bad raps from guys who either didn't take the time to set it up correctly, were to cheap to set it up correctly, or didn't use any common sense in setting up there rack. The bias against is unfounded and for anyone to dismiss them without actually trying them is silly.

You are obviously free to use whatever you want. I just hate to see misinformation spread...

Back