Love Yamaha, but totally PO about Hexrack situation. Anything new out there?

Andy

Honorary Member
I have a Pearl DRC as my gigging rack. It's good, but I'd really like a Yamaha Hexrack for my new project kit. Due to Yamaha's total inability to communicate properly with their customers, I'm forced to look for something else. I'm after the very best. Do you fine guys know of anything new on the market I should check out? Or maybe there's some update on the Hexrack I'm not aware of?

If my search fails, I'll be defaulting to another Pearl DRC. Help!

Can I be completely honest here. Don't hate me :) But I can't stand the look of Pearl's racks. In my opinion, you should never put a square rack with round drums. The rack will stand out every time. The drums should be the thing that you see, not the rack.

I looked at the Yamaha rack, but it was just a bit to outer space gimmicky for me. Again, I did not want something that took away from the drums themselves. Plus you are limited to using their mounts because of the unique shape of there tubing.

The only rack out there that I would put my kit on is a DW rack. It is pricey yes. But you said you wanted the best. It is Stainless Steel pipe which does not show finger prints like Chrome pipe will, and it will not rust like chrome. Most of us drummers do keep our stuff in damp, or potentially damp basements.

My buddy just ordered a Tama Starclassic Babinga Elite kit. He was going to put it on a Gibraltor rack until he saw mine in person. The clamps and fittings are all beautifully made. I looked at them all very carefully, and DW is the one I would recommend.
998Rack.jpg

I agree on the look of the Pearl rack, but it is very well made, & the square shape offers stability. Do you get any slippage of the clamps on the tube?

Stainless steel eh? Hmm, that's interesting, because one of the things I was trying to avoid is chrome overload (you'll see what I mean when the project drums arrive). I've had one or two casting failures with DW hardware, so that's made me cautious too. Any issues with casting defects in your experience? Might check 'em out further.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I will be using Yamaha tom mounts & cymbal arms. Any tube interchangeability issues with the DW clamps? Sorry, don't like the DW knurled cymbal arms at all.

Thanks, Andy.

I agree that a uniquely shaped pipe is strong and will not allow mounts to slip. I just don't think they fit well with a very circular instrument. A big part for me is aesthetics.

If you look at my pic carefully I have memory locks on everything. Nothing can slip. I have not had any issues with castings on DW stuff. Had pedals for over ten years.

The rack system was actually designed by an independent gentleman years ago, sorry I can't remember his name, and DW liked his fittings so much they decided to buy out his design.

You need to look at the clamps and stuff in person. You should be able to tell by my setup, that I am a really fussy, anal, kind of guy. This stuff is nicely made.

Another thing I would like to point out is the DW cymbal tension system. The support piece under the cymbal threads up and down on its post. This way you can have complete control of how loose your cymbal are. You just thread it where you want it, tighten up the bolt, put your cymbal and felts on, and tighten your stock wing nut on tight. Your cymbal tension will always be the same every time you put your cymbals back on. No guessing each time. Great system. Just thought I would share.

The tube top receivers on the upright rack pipes are 3/4" compatible. The clamps themselves will take any size cymbal arm.

The knurling on the cymbal arms are so thing don't turn or slip on shiny pipes. I understand if you don't like the look though. I do love those cymbal adjusters :)

Just a thought. You could put any companies tube top adapter on the DW rack as long as it was 1 1/2" pipe compatible.

Due to Yamaha's total inability to communicate properly with their customers....
First off, your project ... how many sides, and how many clamps do you need? If you want Yamaha, I'd buy Yamaha. I bought a Yamaha hex rack, when guitar center was blowing them out half-price. And then, when I found out they were being dis-continued, I bought a second rack. So, I've got 5 sides, and 7 clamps, to last me the rest of my life. And it/they probably will.​
eBay has about 15-16 Yamaha hex rack listings right now, including a full rack someone's selling (and they'll ship to Europe).​
I dislike round tube racks. The whole concept of "the memory lock keeps the clamp from slipping" means "you need a second clamp to keep the first clamp in place". I used a Pearl DR-100 for 15 years of gigging ... and that rack held everything I asked it to. My lead singer used to even sit on a corner of it (stage presence) sometimes.​
So, if by default ... you need to go Pearl ... go Pearl. Great stuff.​
The only "new" thing, really ... is the Gibraltar stealth rack design ... which isn't really all that new ... thought of that years ago. And it's quite simple to stealth-ify any rack system. Just run the tubes low.​

Harry, it's harder to get hold of this stuff in the UK - especially on eBay. Yamaha hardware isn't always easy to come by, especially the short-released stuff like the HexRack. Doesn't really filter into our market for long!

eBay has about 15-16 Yamaha hex rack listings right now, including a full rack someone's selling (and they'll ship to Europe).

Where are you looking? I was on eBay not two days ago looking (and I just checked again). There is ONE Yamaha Hex Rack listing. It comes with 3 tom holders. I've been keeping an eye out, and there are parts, sure, but as far as I can tell the one thing not being made available from anyone is a way to mount cymbals (aside from the two spots on the leg posts). I'm not buying a rack if I can't mount all my cymbals to it.

I'm continuing to use stands for now and holding on to the hope that Yamaha comes out with something in the future.

Where are you looking? I was on eBay not two days ago looking (and I just checked again). There is ONE Yamaha Hex Rack listing. It comes with 3 tom holders. I've been keeping an eye out, and there are parts, sure, but as far as I can tell the one thing not being made available from anyone is a way to mount cymbals (aside from the two spots on the leg posts). I'm not buying a rack if I can't mount all my cymbals to it.

I'm continuing to use stands for now and holding on to the hope that Yamaha comes out with something in the future.
Thanks for the pointer Harry, but I couldn't find much either. I need 2 sides, 4 tom holders, 7 boom clamps & 3 post cymbal tops. The Yamaha boom tops I can get. On the Pearl rack Harry, I agree, it's a great functional product, no concerns there, I'm just not that keen on the looks of the chrome legs, & the clamps are lacking a certain style for me. I know that's picky, but I'm keen on a certain appearance for this new kit.

I feel your pain LOP. I think the lack of information put out by Yamaha is a customer relations disgrace. Such a shame for a company that produces excellent products. I've never really taken to their drums (although they do make some great tubs), but I'm a huge fan of their hardware. I use all Yamaha cymbal booms & tom holders on my Pearl rack.

I spoke to Yamaha UK today, & it was clear that Yamaha themselves don't know what's happening. I know the story, so I'm guessing they've decided that saying nothing is a good idea. I don't accept that. If that's the case, they should at least come out & say so.

Personally, if you want a rack I'd get the hex rack...theres is nothing on the market that compares to it...you can still find them if you look..and Yamaha has stated that whatever they replace it with will be compatible...I've got two of them...and I've owned others..nothing is close!

Personally, if you want a rack I'd get the hex rack...theres is nothing on the market that compares to it...you can still find them if you look..and Yamaha has stated that whatever they replace it with will be compatible...I've got two of them...and I've owned others..nothing is close!

Exactly my sentiments.

Mine is going on sale after my 2 gigs in Germany the end of May (going to buy something big)

32010_1475027355268_1221222716_1365060_6003070_n.jpg

208755_2041988328938_1221222716_2532477_2121240_n.jpg

205044_2041988688947_1221222716_2532480_5051289_n.jpg

207461_2041988448941_1221222716_2532478_8275647_n.jpg

photo.php

Maybe something for you?

The rack and all the extra components are bought new, but i've bought a clamp and logo clip from the US last week (and could have bought more from the guy like pipes and more clamps)

Besides, Thomann and MusicStore Koln are still selling Rack arts and also local shops can still order small amounts of parts if im right.

Last edited:
Mine is going on sale after my 2 gigs in Germany the end of May (going to buy something big)

Maybe something for you?

The rack and all the extra components are bought new, but i've bought a clamp and logo clip from the US last week (and could have bought more from the guy like pipes and more clamps)

Besides, Thomann and MusicStore Koln are still selling Rack arts and also local shops can still order small amounts of parts if im right.
Holy crap that's a nice rack setup. If only it suited my drum layout, I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat. Actually, I was just about to pick up the phone to Thomann, but you say Music Store Koln are stocking parts too? I'll call them straight away. Do you have the US contact who has more clamps available? Do you want to sell me 7 of yours? Thanks for chiming in man, seriously, Andy.

About the Yamaha Hex Rack system.. I'm going to buy myself similar rack next summer because I hate all those single cymbal stands on the floor.. And they tend to move a bit when I play them even they are double braced and so on.. but I think it doesn't matter!

That DW rack looks very sturdy but for some reason I would choose Yamaha rack over DW rack because it's hexagonal which gives some extra durability and Yamaha Hex Rack is made out of stainless steel aswell!

I found few shops which still have those Yamaha Hex Rack parts in stock so they will not be an issue. Can't wait till next summer! 8)

Sorry Sticks4Drums ;)

Holy crap that's a nice rack setup. If only it suited my drum layout, I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat. Actually, I was just about to pick up the phone to Thomann, but you say Music Store Koln are stocking parts too? I'll call them straight away. Do you have the US contact who has more clamps available? Do you want to sell me 7 of yours? Thanks for chiming in man, seriously, Andy.

Its a standard HX3L so it should fit any setup (especially with the extra parts)

The guy has his parts on ebay.com

Im only selling the rack as a whole set (wich includes the sought after HXDB, HXOC and 44" pipes)

Its a standard HX3L so it should fit any setup (especially with the extra parts)

The guy has his parts on ebay.com

Im only selling the rack as a whole set (wich includes the sought after HXDB, HXOC and 44" pipes)
Are you just selling the rack, legs & clamps, or the cymbal booms as well? Either way, I'm assuming the condition is close to perfect, it certainly looks good in the pictures. Condition is important to me as this will be used to show my new development kit. Please PM me the details, & how much you want for whatever parts you are selling. If it's a sensible price, you have a very reliable buyer in me.

I need to cut a deal today, because I've found one last rack according to my requirements, but it's short of 6 HXBC clamps. If we can cut a deal, I'm happy to secure with a deposit if everything checks out & both of us are happy with the details.

Cheers, Andy.

Back