Roc-N-Soc ... I'm not sure I get it?

brinkerz

G'day all,

As per the title, I'm not sure I get it.
Now that I'm sitting on a Roc-N-Soc, I'm not sure I get the referrals and the positive reviews surrounding the product.

I started off on a Pearl D-1000SP and we just didn't click (if anyone in AU after one let me know- 'as new').

I then went looking for a Gibraltar 9608OS and as it wasn't available, I finished up with a Pearl D-2000 which then became the BR model when I jagged the back rest for little $. It seemed oh so close I guess, maybe the positioning of the back rest each time I sat on it put me off. (i.e. I would have to get it square in the middle of my back.) So I was able to return it.

I then found the Gibraltar 9608OS, good fit around the bum but a slight feeling of sitting / sliding forward at the hips?? My gut feel said no, so pass I did.

All the time I'm reading, reading, reading about Roc-N-Soc and there's very little option for it here in Australia it seems.

Then I finally find an option where I can buy one locally. Not concerned about the gas lift base (one less thing to go wrong) and I'm happy with the Gibraltar 9508EX base I buy. The Roc-N-Soc top I get is the 'Oversized Round with Thigh Cut Outs' as the tractor / motorbike style wasn't available.

So I unpack, set it up, and with much anticipation ... and ... and ... aahhhnnnnddd is this as good as it gets??

I grabbed a bit of a hit using it this afternoon but not for long and it was so-so ... and I thought I'd bring it up in front of the computer as I'm typing now. Sure it might promote good posture (back getting sore to sit upright!) but my arse is bloody going numb. I'm 105kgs (230 pounds) - there's bigger boys around than me.

But for now, this thing will be 'return bound' on Monday where I have to settle for store credit - and then onto what? Talk about a let down.

Thoughts anyone?
Cheers.

where abouts in australia are you mate?

if you wanted to order one in through a shop there's one store that gets roc n soc distributed to them, located in burwood sydney. i have the gibraltar and roc n soc you mentioned, and honostly for the price, the gibraltar wins. roc n soc is still what i use on gigs/recordings/rehearsals, but at home with my prac. kit i just use the Gibraltar.

as for posture, try sitting higher - it helped me.

Um...what exactly are you looking for out of a drum throne? Does it have to massage your butt while it serves you drinks? IT'S. A. CHAIR! You sit on it. Roc-N-Soc thrones are nice because they are well-padded, the seat is made of fabric (so it breathes a bit, reducing crotch sweat, although if you're really sweaty anyways, it also absorbs sweat and gets stinky...not my personal problem, but still...), you can easily obtain/install a back rest, and you have the option of getting different height-adjustment mechanisms (screw-base, nitro lift, etc...). It's a really nice product. The best? I dunno...that's a matter of personal preference, but it sounds as if you're looking for a product that blows you away, which a simple throne will not do.

Um...what exactly are you looking for out of a drum throne? Does it have to massage your butt while it serves you drinks? IT'S. A. CHAIR! .

My entry for post of the year.
You can get an optional prostate massager I understand
Ooo, cool thread idea! gotta go!

I think the cool factor was it was the first throne to have leg cut-outs, and unlike other thrones, you're sitting in a little bucket as opposed to on top of it as other thrones.

It's just a matter of preference. If it really was the end-all of all drum thrones, like Drum Workshop, they would've priced it out of everyones' reach, and they didn't. It costs the same as other high quality thrones. I have both the Roc and an old DW and I just switch back and forth depending on my mood. I do like the Roc a bit more though now that I've gotten to use it a bit more.

I don't understand what you mean about which one you got - Roc doesn't make a tractor seat. It's either the one with the leg cut outs or its round. Which one did you get again?

He probably has this one. I too call it a "tractor" seat because it's not your typical round throne.

DSC_0084.jpg

Dennis

He probably has this one. I too call it a "tractor" seat because it's not your typical round throne.
Dennis

I don't understand what you mean about which one you got - Roc doesn't make a tractor seat. It's either the one with the leg cut outs or its round. Which one did you get again?

Here's the throne, I've obviously drawn in the lines to highlight the thigh cut outs.

RocNSoc.jpg

RocNSoc2.jpg

I'm not sure what throne you have, but that's not what most of us associate with a Roc-N-Soc throne. Here's the one I have (a Nitro):

Roc%20N%20Soc%20Nitro%20Hydraulic%20throne%20-%20Original%20Black%20seat.jpg

A big part of what makes this throne great is that it's NOT round; the shape and feel of the throne are the most comfortable I've used.

What you have isn't the 100% original Roc N Soc, it's probably a top made for Gibraltar by Roc N Soc to their specs. It's basically a round seat with a couple of low spots for your thighs. While probably slightly more comfortable than a stock round throne, it has few, if any, of RNS's trademark features that make them so sought after. Try to get one of the ones pictured in this thread, or try another type with the concave seat and real tractor/saddle-type cutouts, not just low points. Your feet, legs, and circulatory system will thank you.

I had the gibraltar/roc n soc tractor throne.

With thigh cutouts (gibraltar/roc n soc)
ACFWiAeNr.jpg

Without (roc n soc)
roundseat.jpg

And the tractore style gibraltar/roc n soc
Gibraltar%20Roc%20N%20Soc%20Seat%20Top%20RSGMC%20LRG.jpg

There are two roc n soc models of the tractor seat, the standard and the "hugger" (witch a little sharper and smaller formed)

0880a8ff1c213cb5cbf24c0d932b3d9a.image.400x400.jpg

And not forget the square model and the 20th anniversary model as well.
squareseat.jpg

anniv_seat_only.png

I think "the real seat experience" you've read and heared from comes from the tractor style throne (either roc n soc or gibraltar/roc n soc)

Last edited:
Um...what exactly are you looking for out of a drum throne? Does it have to massage your butt while it serves you drinks?

If it does, I'd imagine it'd be pending your resignation from the position description. :]]
My thanks for the constructive welcome.

but it sounds as if you're looking for a product that blows you away, which a simple throne will not do.
The irony of this of course are the many, many reviews and forum entries that imply exactly this. People that purchased the RnS and were indeed, blown away - they best thing they had bought - why did I wait this long - etc etc.

It needs to be acknowledged that RnS in the Australian market is like rocking horse sh*t it would seem, they are not freely available in store for me to go parking my bum on them. So I rely on feedback, forums and reviews in shaping the purchasing decision.
You've all glowed about RnS, and that glow is the 'sway' for thinking 'yep get that one'. But let's move on.

It's just a matter of preference.
You're right Bo, it is - and get to the point of establishing preference, you need to be able to access different options to form that opinion of preference don't you? As above, the RnS options were severely limited here.

The style of throne I have would appear to be an issue. As it wasn't available, I did_not purchase the 'tractor / motorcycle' style throne. I purchased the nearest compromise to it and available to me, based on the logic that the material, comfort, construction, etc of the throne would surely be the same as the popular 'tractor / motorcycle' style. Evidently I was wrong and that's ok - I rolled the dice essentially.

At time of writing I'm 'trialling' a Dixon Kinde PSN-K906. A complete and utter contrast to the RnS experience of the previous few days or so. I've not heard or read of this Kinde model or series before but it was introduced to me at a retailer where at least I can see, try and trial under a 10 day return store policy - none of which is remotely available for RnS.

Outside of this Kinde model, the DW 8120 or 9120 models I'm told are very good (despite being fugly imo) but at this time the Kinde PSN-K906 may just be the go it seems.

(To give you an idea, the RnS tractor style with a back rest will set me back the better part of $500 AU from a local dealer with warranty. I can buy online where a) I'm severely restricted with who will actually ship RnS to AU b) The shipping fees are all but equal cost of the throne and c) no warranty.
If I could find somewhere that would ship the seat only then maybe that could be entertained. Reduced cost as there's no throne base to purchase and ship, which for me reduces the risk in warranty loss trade off versus dollars spent.)

I guess to summarise the Title ... "I'm not sure I get it?" ...

What I didn't get it seems is the right style to start with (for the reasons previously explained) and in turn the style that was selected diminished the RnS experience I had. For the experience overall seems to be positive and glowing, as per what I have otherwise read and continue to read here, which in turn formed the foundation to choose the RnS.

Perhaps the line between 'trusted referral' and 'people are like sheep' blurred a little :]]
Still, it all builds an informed decision.

I then found the Gibraltar 9608OS, good fit around the bum but a slight feeling of sitting / sliding forward at the hips?? My gut feel said no, so pass I did.

Is that the tractor seat model? If so, I dealt on one of those a while ago as my enquiries lead me to believe that it was the closest thing to an R'nS readily available in this backwater.

The thing is like a bloody armchair.....it's comfort levels are unsurpassed to anything I've ever planted my scrawny arse in before, so I'm surprised to read that you felt like it was tipping you forward. The only issue I have with it is the sheer size of the seat. If I had a bum like a barn door I'd understand the need for it's gargantuan size.....but as it stands, I just wish it was a little more streamlined and easier to lug around.

Now I'm really keen to A-B. If you get your hands on an R'nS tractor seat, there's at least one Aussie that would be interested in the difference.

I have a standard roc'n'soc. Its a solid throne, but I dont like the fitted seat, I feel like I'm sinking into the throne a bit. I think the Tama 1st chair is the most comfy throne out there.

I have a standard roc'n'soc. Its a solid throne, but I dont like the fitted seat, I feel like I'm sinking into the throne a bit. I think the Tama 1st chair is the most comfy throne out there.
I agree on the sinking in feeling. I bought a fitted seat years ago, and had to take it back. I only seem comfortable on a round throne. I use a DW one.

Is that the tractor seat model? ...... The thing is like a bloody armchair.....it's comfort levels are unsurpassed to anything I've ever planted my scrawny arse in before, etc

Yes mate, the 9608OS model > http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=1180&sid=363&cid=37

Certainly it felt plush that's for sure. What makes it seem so thick around the bum where the logo is, is a band of foam say 15mm thick from what I can see - so that makes it look thick and also gives that 'banded comfort feeling' around your bum that you feel.
It is a hooa in size compared to round dinner plate thrones and the Dixon Kinde model I'm trying is of comparable size.
The slipping feeling I spoke of was ever so slight but was there for me none the less and the longer I sat on it, the more I could feel the padding or lack there of under my upper thighs - but that's purely my experience. I nearly nearly went for it but went with a no.

Likewise this Dixon Kinde PSN-K906 has a gel layer added to the 'moulded contour' and subsequently, it just 'forms and fits' around you it seems. I certainly don't consider myself to be a barge arse by any stretch but the last time I wore size 10 shorts was grade 3 if you get my jist.

Back