What has been your best drum score?

Where is OZ?

The land of Ozzy Osbourne!!!!!!

No, just kidding.

And while I know where OZ is, I've never quite understood WHY they call it Oz.

So I looked it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia

Oz is often taken as an oblique reference to the fictional Land of Oz in the film The Wizard of Oz (1939), based on L. Frank Baum's novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900).[327] Australians' "image of Australia as a 'Land of Oz' is not new, and dedication to it runs deep".[328] The spelling Oz is likely to have been influenced by the 1939 film, though the pronunciation was probably always with a /z/, as it is also for Aussie, sometimes spelt Ozzie.[329] The Baz Luhrmann film Australia (2008) makes repeated reference to The Wizard of Oz, which appeared just before the wartime action of Australia. One reviewer writes: "You even nod with approval at Luhrmann's audacity for cribbing from 'The Wizard of Oz' in his depiction of his Land of Oz, Australia, as a magical place over the rainbow."[330] Some critics have even speculated that Baum was inspired by Australia, in naming the Land of Oz: "In Ozma of Oz (1907) Dorothy gets back to Oz as the result of a storm at sea while she and Uncle Henry are traveling by ship to Australia. So, like Australia, Oz is somewhere to the west of California. Like Australia, Oz is an island continent. Like Australia, Oz has inhabited regions bordering on a great desert. One might almost imagine that Baum intended Oz to be Australia, or perhaps a magical land in the center of the great Australian desert."[331]

I thought perhaps that after too many Fosters, Austrailia gets shorted to Aus, and then after a few more, slightly slurred, Aus becomes Oz. But I'm sure Polly will set this one straight!

I thought perhaps that after too many Fosters, Austrailia gets shorted to Aus, and then after a few more, slightly slurred, Aus becomes Oz. But I'm sure Polly will set this one straight!

Pretty much on the money there, Drum. It's derived from the abbreviated term "Aussie". Whislt most Americans will emphasise the "s" sound in the word (speaking it as written). Australian's will refer to themselves as Aussies (pronounced Ozzie) - with an empasis on the "z" sound. The term Oz as a referance to our homeland, just follows on from the pronunciation. We're a strange nation mate.

For the record, no one drinks Fosters either.....we export that rubbish overseas.......and you're more than welcome to it. :)

What's good to drink when we do go to Australia? What beer? I like a nice dark beer once in a while......what's good while touring in Australia please?

Cheers,

For the record, no one drinks Fosters either.....we export that rubbish overseas.......and you're more than welcome to it. :)

I had a coworker who used to be in the Navy and was stationed in OZ. He love to tell me his old sailor stories. My favorite was about the beer they drank down under, Victoria Bitters, someone down there told him "Fosters is piss water that we make for export". Trouble is that you can't buy it here...

I'm pretty new to Ebay but one of my better scores was a pair of 70's 15" New beats. I paid $140 after shipping.

Recently I had a $15 gift card for Amazon.com, one of many X-mas gifts from my Girlfriend's parents. I ended up getting 4 pairs of Vic Firth pink 5a's. I only paid 96 cents after the gift card.

As a Yank e-friend cracked the code after asking me for "translations" a number of times ... reduce the word to one syllable and add -ie or -ey to the end. Of course, we Aussies are more sophisticated than that so we also do exotic things like adding -o to the end or nothing at all.

Oz has zilch to do with this being a "magical place", although it's fun to think so. Land of Ozzy Osbourne ... even more fun :)

And we pay for our sins by importing musical instruments at massively inflated prices.

I have a good friend who grew up in Australia.

One day she said "you know, we don't actually like that. It's to us what you think about Budwieser"

haha...that did explain the taste.

My Sonors...My sonor 3007's at dales the 6pc for like 600 to my door and then picked up a matching 8" tom for $75 to make it a 7pc. then got a like new sonor Phil Rudd snare for $149 I know that at $399 being the street price for this snare its not that great a score but I am so impressed with this thing after owning so many snares in this range I have to mention it

Good old OZ with our stupidly inflated prices! Yes, PFOG is right in telling you to go to ebay, Pol, there are numerous bargains to be had there. For example, I've not paid over $180 for a crash, and I now have four - three UFiPs and a Zildjian.

But my best score was picking up a slightly used Paiste Signature Blue Bell Ride (which I saw in a local drum store for over $1000 (!!!!!) for $200.

What's good to drink when we do go to Australia? What beer? I like a nice dark beer once in a while......what's good while touring in Australia please?

Cheers,

I had a coworker who used to be in the Navy and was stationed in OZ. He love to tell me his old sailor stories. My favorite was about the beer they drank down under, Victoria Bitters, someone down there told him "Fosters is piss water that we make for export". Trouble is that you can't buy it here...

I have a good friend who grew up in Australia.

One day she said "you know, we don't actually like that. It's to us what you think about Budwieser"

haha...that did explain the taste.

Fosters Larger is the recognised export brand known around the world. I'll let you all in on a little secret. The Fosters that is available in Oz and the stuff we export are actually two different beers. We do in fact drink what you guys know as Fosters, but here it is known as Crown Larger....or a Crownie, in Aussie speak.

Local Fosters was more favoured in the 70's, but - thankfully - our tastes developed. It now sits on shelves in bottle shops, waiting for some unsuspecting tourist to pounce......whilst we all sit back sipping our Crownies and have a quiet giggle about it.

Red, Victoria Bitter.....or VB as it is known is indeed a popular one and pretty much on tap everywhere around the country these days (along with another popular choice known as Carlton Draught)........much to the ire of those in New South Wales, who prefer Tooheys beer....but we all know that Tooheys is worse than local Fosters. :)

Gary, if you're ever in Melbourne, look me up mate and I'll have a cold Crownie or two waiting in the fridge.

Sorry for the hijack, but if we're not talking about drums, then beer is my next favourite subject. Matter of fact, it's hot here and I'm thirsty......think I'll crack one now. :)

7 Piece DW lacquer burst over exotic maple shell pack that was a NAMM show kit for $3,500.00 new. I just happened to walk in to buy my first DW kit on the first Monday after the show and this kit was put on the "move it" list. I had literally 10 seconds to make a decision before someone else would have grabbed it. It took me way less time.

I sold that kit for pretty close to what I paid for it when it came time to buy my current behemoth.

A few years ago a friend of the family got a Yamaha kit for R25 - that's less than $5.

Yes. $5.

It was something invollving a bet in a bar featuring a lot of drinking beforehand. But there you go.

he had it for a few weeks before he also lost it in a bet.

This is a good thread! My best drum score has to be my current kit. My Mapex Meridian Maple 8 piece in Root Beer Burst Sparkle (was a premium/limited edition kit) plus the Agean Splash, all the hardware and the Agean Karia hi-hats (rip off of K cymbals) all for £1,000. Spent every penny I had on the kit and I love it! The kit was brand new too and the store only had it a few days or something.

I am having major issue w craigs- too much stuff that i am convinced that i need

Mapex mars kit for $90 plus a cheap Washburn acoustic thrown in.

5 yr old Tama rockstar kit in caramel fade for $175 and gretsch catalina maple rock kit for $650 (both w hardware cymbals and thrones) allin the last 4months.

I need a bigger basement. Need to stop (drum intervention?).

Need better cymbals now.

Gotta think about this one ...

A set of Paiste 15" Giant Beat hi hats for 60.00 from GC used gear online.

Ludwig Classic Maple "Fab 4" kit including the 6.5x14 snare in Joe Morello silver sparkle for 799.00 at the local GC.

Wait maybe the Pearl 5 piece Export kit for 39.99 ... also at the local GC

My main source is the GC used online these days ... the auction and Craigs don't seem to have much to offer usually.

1967 Ludwig Keystone Acrolite............. $FREE$

Biggest loss.........I sold an all maple Tamburo jungle kit for $85 at a bar in Italy the night before I left the country. Couldn't take the kit with me and all my possesions had already been picked up and shipped (I'm military). One of my "friends" had them and tried to avoid me until I left so he could keep them. I broke into his garage and got them and sold them to the highest bidder at the bar. HUGE LOSS. That jerk did get away with keeping my Fender blues junior tube amp though.

My top scores would have to be:

12 x 5 Sonor Force 3007 snare and a Paiste 2002 Rude Ride for £50 the pair.
6pc Mapex Meridian Exotic (cherry stain over quilted maple) and a full set of Mapex hardware with all boom stands for £600 new.
1969 Ludwig Keystone in need of a bit of restoring for FREE! as well as the kit there are 5 snares (including one from the 30s and an early black beauty) and some real old skool zildjians in need of a clean!) - I haven't pick this one up yet, but pics will come of course!

Oh I also picked up a Sabian HHX studio crash ex-display a few years ago for £100.....

I missed this gem earlier ...

My Dad bought my first kit - a Frankenstein - for $100 in the mid-70s. It included a vintage snare with no branding. A drummer boyfriend of my older sister's thought it might be an old Premier, and may be valuable. I recently found out it's an old Drouyn and is worth around $400-500.

Gotta love craigslist!

My dear, in the mid 70s the Internet didn't exist. It wasn't even imagined, as far as I know. Craiglist didn't turn up until 1995. I first got Internet at home in 2000. My first kit was advertised in a newspaper.

When I think of how primitive things were back then I find it hard to imagine how we survived!

Pocket Full of Gold said:
Fosters Larger is the recognised export brand known around the world. I'll let you all in on a little secret. The Fosters that is available in Oz and the stuff we export are actually two different beers. We do in fact drink what you guys know as Fosters, but here it is known as Crown Larger....or a Crownie, in Aussie speak.

Local Fosters was more favoured in the 70's, but - thankfully - our tastes developed. It now sits on shelves in bottle shops, waiting for some unsuspecting tourist to pounce......whilst we all sit back sipping our Crownies and have a quiet giggle about it.

I didn't know that ... Fosters is revolting and VB is even worse. They taste like liquefied cow farts. Crown Lager is okay, though ... now I understand why people overseas like "Fosters".

I taught a few CPR class to a group of emplyees of an agency that manages group homes for mentally retarded adults.Someone had donated some drums and cymbals to the agency which they didn't want and so knowing that I play ,they asked me if I wanted them as they really had no use for them.I said ok..the drums were Sound Percussion,in ok condition,and there were 2 sets of cymbals with them.Zildjian ZBT's that were kind of beat on and...some 60's stamped A Zildjians,NOS....not a stick mark on them.A 20" ride,18/16" thin crashes and 14" new beat hats.Even had the original clear plastic bags with them.I was mighty happy that day.

Steve B

Back