New Sonor Guy!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hi everybody!

Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my new tools that I got last week.

It's a Sonor Force 3007 kit in white sparkle. With a 17.5x20 BD, 5.5x14 SD, 8x10, 9x12 toms, and 14x14 FT. I didn't even bother with trying the stock heads and installed vintage Emperors top and bottom, with a PS3 on the bass drum and a Ambassador snare side head.

My cymbals are 14" New Beats, a 18" A thin crash, and a 20" K Custom Dark Ride.

My hardware consists of Ludwig flat based cymbal stands, a Yamaha 7-series snare stand from the '80s, Tama Stagemaster light hi-hat and an Iron Cobra Jr. pedal. I also use a Roc-n-soc throne.

After owning a couple of DW kits (Collector's), Tama, Yamaha, Gretsch, Ludwigs, and some others, I wasn't sure about getting into a 'mid-level' kit, but I've always wanted to play Sonor and heard good things about these drums.

I must say, I was quite impressed with the capability of these drums! In other posts I said that I can make this kit sound like however I need it to sound, it was very easy going as far as that goes. Fat, tight, ringy-jazzy, with these heads I don't seem to have a problem doing that. I totally thought I'd have to immediately upgrade the snare and was ready to spend $500 on a new Sonor Delite steel snare - I was dead wrong on this one!

The stock snare drum, once outfitted and tuned to where I like it in my head, is absolutely awesome. It has changed my mind about what makes a mid-level snare or a pro snare. I've always played Ludwig Supras and Acrolites, and I had no problem getting it to sound like either of those. I always had a hard time tuning my DW's to sound a certain way, and these made it really easy, go figure.

I'm quite sold on these drums and I'm considering trying the same sizes in the Delite series next. But I'm not diggin' some of the finishes available in that line....

Since this kit is using my same hardware and I never play more than 4 or 5 drums at a time, I can load-in, set-up and be ready for downbeat in 20 minutes. I'm out the door in about the same time too.

I also picked up one of those Zoom Q3 camcorders after seeing what Steve Smith was doing with his, so my plan is to put up some playing on YouTube and find out how thick-skinned I really am. Stay tuned....

Attachments

• Sonor_frnt.jpg
    Sonor_frnt.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,919
  • sonor_bk.jpg
    sonor_bk.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,277
You'll never look back. Sonor is the best kit I ever played.

...looking good Bo ; )

Will try the Vintage Emperors/Ambassador on mine next time...

Phil.

Thanks Phil,

I tend to keep my kits totally simple. However, I even experimented with an even simpler set-up - I eliminated the 12" tom and went to a 4-piece, and this allows me to drop everything alot lower, like Will Kennedy. I'm lovin' that configuration too!

I also play the Force 3007’s and they are some of the best drums available. When you think of the price of the 3007’s that make it an even better deal. A whole lot of quality sound in these babies.

Last edited:
And just for kicks, I just tried out the 200 Series hardware pack from Sonor.

Anemic.

Not quite as well engineered as what I already have, so those are going back! I guess the Japan-designed or American-designed hardware still reigns supreme.

Sweet looking kit. I've got the same kit in amber fade, however, my kick has 10 lugs.
I noticed yours has 8. What's up with that?

Ok Bo.....I've got the same size kick....20 lug (10 ea side) Why does yours only have 16?
The 2007 Birch has 16, the 3007 Maple has 20. What's up with that?
Steve

Your kit is all backwards...
(kidding)
Beautiful kit, I like the white sparkle. I sometimes wish I had bought a Sonor Force 3007 (though generally I am very, very content with the kit that I have).

Years ago I had a yamaha recording custom kit with a 20" bass drum, and they made those with 20 lugs. But then you had so much metal on that little drum, it made it slightly heavier than normal. I prefer 16 lugs on 20" bass drums. It's easier for me to tune. I almost prefer 8 lugs on my snares too, but the Sonor snare is 10 lugs, gotta get used to that again...

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I just got a Zoom Q3 video recorder, so I'm going to post a video soon (when I feel brave enough) so you can see what backwards playing looks like. I also posted some mp3s in the "Your Playing" section if anybody is interested.

My most humble apologies, fellow drummers.

Mine is a 20" w/8 lugs per side. I have egg all over my monitor!

Now, if I could just learn to count!

I sit corrected.

Steve

That is a very nice looking kit. It's always cool to see a left handed drummer, there aren't alot of them. :)

Thanks Phil,

I tend to keep my kits totally simple. However, I even experimented with an even simpler set-up - I eliminated the 12" tom and went to a 4-piece, and this allows me to drop everything alot lower, like Will Kennedy. I'm lovin' that configuration too!

Cool kit. Love the Sonor sparkle finishes (black or white). I tend to leave out my 12" too on my 3003s. Kind of wish I had a 20" BD like yours as well, instead of the 22".

My most humble apologies, fellow drummers.

Mine is a 20" w/8 lugs per side. I have egg all over my monitor!

Now, if I could just learn to count!

I sit corrected.

Steve

You're fired!

And thanks Pavlos. I keep going back and forth between a 4-piece and a 5-piece. It's been so long since I've had two toms on the bass drum like that, I may play this way for a while, and get used to reaching out a little farther to my ride....

Dude, welcome to the club, in fact your kit is EXACTLY the same as mine....

This is my setup by the way

P1030395-1.jpg

Thanks! But yours are set up backwards!

Anyway, for those of you interested, I put up a couple of solos of the new kit on YouTube. The longer one is here that I played sticks and wore shoes for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhFb6jHby0

It was done with my Zoom Q3 about 3 feet in front of the kit. For some reason, when I go into iMovie, it gets compressed alot for web usage. I'm still trying to figure out how to put up a clear movie, so forgive that for now.

Back